Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
thanks for this information...tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ttt

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
tag

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
SAS,

Stumbled onto your link and am glad that I did so....also took advice of Clint Smith to shoot ten shots to look at dispersion--no more three shot groups that cannot be reproduced day-in, day-out. I feel like I learned a lot...

Started with a Kimber that was shooting so poorly that I was tempted to pound it in the ground for use as a fence post! This Kimber in .308 was rebarreled (for cheap) and still couldn't get it to shoot as consistently as I would have liked. Well enough but not great. Performed the magazine mod, got a FAT wrench, did an Acraglass bedding job (looks like crap), and torqued the action down to 65in/lbs. Had to take it apart and squeeze the mag lips together as the bullets would pop up through the mag when three or more cartridges were loaded.

I'm shooting 168gr Berger Classic Hunters, 43.0gr IMR 8208 XBR. COAL: 2.834", CBTO is determined (for me) by placing a loaded cartridge into my redding die and measuring cartridge base to top of the die: 4.075". My 100-yard, twenty shot dispersion was 2.3" laterally and 1.2" vertically. After forty-five minutes of cool down my next five shot group was 0.47" lateral dispersion and 0.37" vertical dispersion. Four shots in same hole and after verifying that there were really four shots in same hole I lost my concentration a tiny bit maybe...could NOT believe what I was doing.

My observation is that after five shots the barrel was pretty darn hot! I believe that my group widened secondary to the heat mirage distorting the sights so much that I had trouble centering the sights in a repeatable fashion. I am heading out today to shoot another five shots at the last target to see if the sum stays tight or opens up.
Another possible confounding factor is that I was shooting a 338-378 Wby beforehand and the blast is enough that I start to flinch a bit after 4-5 shots...
I think that my loading is consistent, my practice is pretty good, the bench setting was good and the weather was really good.
The 10-shot, 200yard results were 3.0" lateral, 2.3" vertical. First four in same hole.
The 10-shot, 300yard results were 4.1" lateral, 3.2" vertical. First four were sub 1" in both dimensions. Again, beyond anything that I have ever done before with any rifle.
Thank you all again for a free lesson. Will try to remember to post again.

Bob

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You don't have to shoot the ten shot dispersion tests at a pace that overheats the barrel.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Mathman,

Yah, well, I'm a slow-learner...This afternoon I just shot three at a time, waited, then shot three more.

Today's range-testing was no different. Still shooting quite well (<1" at 100yds). It does seem as though most of my non-one-holers are just me flinching. Any shots that feel good upon pressing the trigger are likely to be touching one another. Can't believe that a bedding job, mag mod, and precisely torquing the screws could make such a dramatic difference! Haven't tried any other loads, though, so I don't know if this rifle will shoot all loads the same or not. In any case here is another load to try for those that are having Kimber "issues"--trust me, I've been there and wanted to turn that Kimber into a boat anchor, a fence post, or just chop it in two...Now? I'm not sure that I'm ever going to take this rifle apart unless there is a highly compelling reason. Things are going too well to mess with success!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
45 in/lbs on the action screws is more than enough and what I use. 65 sounds pretty tight IMO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
45 in/lbs on the action screws is more than enough and what I use. 65 sounds pretty tight IMO

This. 45 works for me too.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TTT

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tag

Montana MOFO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A little tinkering maybe in my future with a long white box enroute that says 84L on it.............

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the name of loonyism I recently re-bedded my 243 and 270 MT's.

The 243 is still curing but I shot the 270 early Sunday morning before the breeze came up and it planted 5 shots into in nice round 1.5" group at 210 yards.

Bedded the tang, the lug and 1" forward. Re-read instructions on this thread and (carefully)dremeled out the bottom of the lug post-bedding.

I hadn't done that before and am pretty sure it was causing random flyers every 8-10 shots. Always blamed the wind or barrel heat but I think the lugs were bottoming out and the action was shifting a little in the stock.

Put me in the slow learner camp.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A gentleman by the name of Jordan Smith on here has a Kimber Montana 7-08 that was shooting wildly. He had a thread showing that he removed the bedding under the shank which free floated the barrel back to the receiver/lug. This caused him to shoot very well on his next trip out with the same handloads.

I recently did the same on my Kimber Montana 223 that wont shoot heavier bullets as well as I'd like it to. Will report back my results. The next step is to dremel out the bottom of the lug but want to try it as is first.

Best

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
tag

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Just checked, all my Rugers are still driving tacks, with absolutely NO "tinkering"

I chuckle every time this thread pops up.

I won't drink the swirled Kool-Aid
.....well, maybe, if it looks like wood
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy
Just checked, all my Rugers are still driving tacks, with absolutely NO "tinkering"

my rugers all need trigger tweaks or triggers replaced.

my Rugers are also 2# heavier than my Kimbers.

I chuckle every time posts like yours pop up...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"Tinkered" with my wife's 243 this weekend.

My tinkering consisted of shooting various factory ammo to try and hone in on bullet weight and type it likes.

Getting nice 100 yard groups with 95 gr. Hoping to get some 90 grains because I think they will do better.

I did notice whether it was a bit of heat or a clean barrel, first shot or 2 is high and left of the main group similar what some on here are showing.

I need to followup and see which it is, clean bore or cold barrel.

I finished off with about 5 quick field shots at 300 yard plates. Pretty nice when ringing steel with a basic fixed 6 from kneeling and sitting.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by toad
Originally Posted by UncleSoapy

my rugers all need trigger tweaks or triggers replaced.

my Rugers are also 2# heavier than my Kimbers.

I chuckle every time posts like yours pop up...

Well said Toad. I've got several M77 Rugers that are tack drivers and I like them a lot. All have had a trigger job and other tinkering to get them to where they are now. But as much as I like my Rugers, my Montana would be the last to leave.

And another thing........anyone who doesn't tinker with their rifles (and handguns) is not a true Loony.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
165 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,851 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.