Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Recommendations for above?

Someone recommended a Truglo Tru-Brite to me in the past. I've gotten mixed input regarding that pick. The Truglo does have the features I'm after, but I doubt it's ability to withstand the recoil. I don't load that Contender hot, because it is far lighter, and thus far less friendly, than a revolver with similar bbl. My aging eyes are not doing as well as they used to with the open sights.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
BP-B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Spend the extra dough and get an Ultradot 25 or Ultradot 30. They're not that much more expensive than the Truglo, and Ultradot's are bulletproof: I used one on a 480 Ruger Super Redhawk shooting hot loads, and the Ultradot did just fine. I wouldn't expect a Truglo to survive the recoil of a 44 Magnum TC Contender, even with light loads.

Last edited by Oregon45; 10/05/15.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cheap optics and a 44 Magnum? Do you really think those two words should be in the same sentence?

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Cheap can be better than none, which is what I am currently using.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Does the barrel have open sights?

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
HNS,

I've only mounted that TG you speak of on an AR for a friend and he's had good luck, but we're talking an AR...

A fella I know has the mentioned TG on a Moss 835 turkey gun and has shot many 3.5" turkey loads with it on the gun for years w/o an issue. That's getting closer to similar recoil wise(actually more recoil for the SG).

I will say that the TG TB on my buds AR seems to have a more crisp dot than my FFs or my Trij had.

I've run 3 of the Burris FFs on 3.5" turkey guns with success as well and they only run $200, but you can occasionally find the older models(FF1 & FF2) for around $150.

Redfield has their new little reflex out that's similar to the FF. Leupold wtty, so maybe worth a shot. I'm thinking about trying it on a turkey rig.

If you look at the design on many of the small reflexes, the locking feature is very similar. It's basically a plate that slides for vert/horiz movement of the led ray. Two set screws in the rear lock the plate once movements are made. I've seen some that don't really lock, they use a spring loaded ball and under the sets that you can snug and make the plate a bit more difficult to move. Fairly simple design really.

Good Luck with your search.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by reelman
Does the barrel have open sights?

It does right now, including a homemade front blade from a piece of aluminum. I couldn't get the height to shoot 300gr bullets out of the stock blade.

Originally Posted by Oregon45
Spend the extra dough and get an Ultradot 25 or Ultradot 30. They're not that much more expensive than the Truglo, and Ultradot's are bulletproof: I used one on a 480 Ruger Super Redhawk shooting hot loads, and the Ultradot did just fine. I wouldn't expect a Truglo to survive the recoil of a 44 Magnum TC Contender, even with light loads.

Thanks for the recommend, Oregon45! I don't know anything about the Ultradots, and this is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for from the knowledgeable guys here.

Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
HNS,

I've only mounted that TG you speak of on an AR for a friend and he's had good luck, but we're talking an AR...

A fella I know has the mentioned TG on a Moss 835 turkey gun and has shot many 3.5" turkey loads with it on the gun for years w/o an issue. That's getting closer to similar recoil wise(actually more recoil for the SG).

I will say that the TG TB on my buds AR seems to have a more crisp dot than my FFs or my Trij had.

I've run 3 of the Burris FFs on 3.5" turkey guns with success as well and they only run $200, but you can occasionally find the older models(FF1 & FF2) for around $150.

Redfield has their new little reflex out that's similar to the FF. Leupold wtty, so maybe worth a shot. I'm thinking about trying it on a turkey rig.

If you look at the design on many of the small reflexes, the locking feature is very similar. It's basically a plate that slides for vert/horiz movement of the led ray. Two set screws in the rear lock the plate once movements are made. I've seen some that don't really lock, they use a spring loaded ball and under the sets that you can snug and make the plate a bit more difficult to move. Fairly simple design really.

Good Luck with your search.

Reloader7RM, I appreciate your input. The guy I talked to about Truglos also had a few mounted on light turkey and slug guns and he had zero problems with them holding up under the stout recoil.I'll look into the Burris and Redfield reflex sights. I don't have much experience with them yet, but those I have tried, I've liked using. My brother has a cheap one on a 9mm carbine, and a friend has one on his Browning Buckmark.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Cheap can be better than none, which is what I am currently using.

Not if it does not hold up.It is then not cheap.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Recommendations for above?

Someone recommended a Truglo Tru-Brite to me in the past. I've gotten mixed input regarding that pick. The Truglo does have the features I'm after, but I doubt it's ability to withstand the recoil. I don't load that Contender hot, because it is far lighter, and thus far less friendly, than a revolver with similar bbl. My aging eyes are not doing as well as they used to with the open sights.

I don't see how you can go wrong with one of these Ultradots:

http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_003.htm

At the price, with a lifetime guarantee. There's contact info there, you could call and see what they say about recoil when mounted on your pistol.

I have one on a Blackhawk , but it's a much less powerfull caliber with way less recoil. I've never experienced problem one with it.

I found mine at a show (out west here) that was a refurbished one. Lady at the table (Ultradot west owner's daughter maybe) was extremely helpful.

Good luck.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some red dots aren't warranted for stuff over .357 mag. Check before you buy.

The Vortex SparcII is guaranteed forever, has a good 2min. dot and lots of good features. Had mine on a .357 Ruger, but now it's on, of all things, a .270 Mauser. $200

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I put an $80 Bushnell TRS25 on my .44 mag. It held up fine.

I guess the real question is what is the definition of cheap?

Hunt Africa while you can
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have Ultra dots on 44 Mag,475 Linebaugh and 500 Linebaugh.They do not break and are reasonable in price.

Last edited by Huntz; 10/09/15.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Skip the Millet red dot. I had one go tits up on my Redhawk in 2 years and about 40 rounds.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Vortex Sparc11 is the way to go. No question warranty no matter who purchased it.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Buy quality and don't worry about having to use the warranty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
357 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 39 invisible), 2,027 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.