Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hey guys and gals, the wife and I have been thinking about moving to Alaska (new adventure). On that note, we'll be out in California for a wedding in mid-January, so we were thinking while there, why not just hop on a plane to Alaska smile and spend a week looking around.

We're wanting to look somewhere relatively close to Anchorage for a future residence, which could really mean anywhere from Talkeetna down to Soldotna (maybe 2.5hr radius?).

Any thoughts on activities or recommended places to stay while there? Probably won't have a rifle with me, so hunting may be out grin

Appreciate it!

GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man screw being anywhere near a-town soldotna has everything you need minus good moose hunting but the fishing is great. Wasilla/palmer are good areas and have everything you need as well... We avoid anchorage most times... Talkeetna well you will driving into Wasilla to shop well they do have store up their but you will be going into Wasilla... If I had my way I live in soldotna or kenai...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yeah definitely not looking in Anchorage proper grin maybe make a trip there on occasion for shopping or something, but not live there.

Would love somewhere to hunt various game on, but I think my wishlist has several conflicts that won't allow that laugh will have to settle for a nice place to live and then travel a little for hunting.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO there is much more fishing to be had, rather than hunting in AK. I happen to like the hunting though, but where else can you go and drive very few miles between streams/ponds that generally have something to catch in them, not to mention the salt....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another place to consider is glennallen they do not have natrual gas so heating oil and wood stoves in the winter to heat house along with electric and your wife will kill you but man you have fishing.and Valdez down the road good bou hunting moose is ok. Or look towards Tok as well again your wife will not be happy another spot would be delta jct but glennallen is a good one but be warned folks in glennallen are an odd bunch...

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I think the biggest conflict I've found so far is internet (well, electricity too for that to work lol). Work from home, so I need at least DSL, but when I look I'm not having great luck finding providers (depending how far out of "town" I look). Maybe I'm just not searching correctly.

That's really my limiting factor I'm finding right now in where we can potentially live.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GCI and ACS are the primary providers.

I know everyone likes to bash Anchorage (and it deserves it to a degree) but there are much worse places to live and I can't think of an location in the city that you can't be out in the woods in less than 30 minutes.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
DSL

That's funny!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
GCI and ACS are the primary providers.

I know everyone likes to bash Anchorage (and it deserves it to a degree) but there are much worse places to live and I can't think of an location in the city that you can't be out in the woods in less than 30 minutes.

Yep. Anchorage is close to Alaska!

There, I said it!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by ironbender
DSL

That's funny!

Wishful thinking or am I making a big deal over nothing?

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Define :dsl"

Wehave DSL that AS no longer advertises as it is so S L O W !

Not as slow as las's "bring the electrons one at a time at gunpoint", but slow.

1 meg slow.

Speed depends on location. If that's important (seems it is) check first.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ha, literally the bare minimum of 128kbps would work. Faster would be great, but not required.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out in the valley we have mta for Internet service..

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wahnsinn
Ha, literally the bare minimum of 128kbps would work. Faster would be great, but not required.

Tundra telegraph is faster

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For internet this might work for you: http://www.gci.com/offer/1gighub

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
We use HughesNet Satellite but it is not high speed like you have in the lower 48.
Best Wishes

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But... maybe, just maybe ATT will make hughsnet even better! We can hope!

95 here today, 150 acre fire west of us about 20 miles, we didn't get called on it..... lucky... another department put in 10 hours or so on it, and 95 on Wednesday... its supposed to be October. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tried ACS then GCI now ATT tired of lousy cell service. But its Alaska poor service is part of living here.

You get used to it and after a while you just lower your standards.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go with GCI. They have the best coverage if that matters ….and their service comes with a free butt-out tool. They even install for free….the butt-out tool that is; once a month. eek

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a 10Mbps pipe in here through ACS

Cell coverage got a lot worse when ACS sold out and folks were forced to go to 4G through GCI or ATT when there isn't much of a 4G network...

As far as pure hunting opportunities go...you might consider the Susitna valley, Glen Allen or north of Anc somewhere. That puts you central to many species and opportunities.

If you are going to be dumb - you've got to be tuff.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.