Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#105705 11/07/02
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Is there much collector interest in a Model 1920 in 250-3000?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BJ,
<br>
<br>I think that RandyS is the biggest Model 1920 guy on this site and maybe anywhere! If Randy isn't the biggest Model 1920 guy anywhere, that honor would probably fall to a friend of mine in NE who has dozens of them in every flavor.
<br>
<br>Since there were only around 12,000 made between 1920 and 1928, they aren't too common.
<br>
<br>Are you interested in selling or buying?
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have an elderly friend who owns this rifle and he is interested in selling it. It is a nice rifle, and may of may not have had a reblue job many years ago. It is hard for me to tell. This rifle "feels" as good as any I ever held, and I am a lefty. I have a 99 in the same cal. and don't need another one. It is a shooter, and calibers doesn't get much better than the 250-3000. IMHO.

Last edited by Bubba John; 11/08/02.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Bubba, I would be interested in your friends Model 1920 in 250-3000. Let me know if he wants to sell, also can you provide basic description of condition and sights?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bubba John,
<br>
<br>There is not much collector interest in that model of Savage rifle. Shooters don't like it, either. Earkt M20s have a problem with the metal becoming brittle as it gets old. Plus, the metal alloy has a problem with a chemical impurity that causes ammo to go stale if you leave cartridges in the rifle too long. Later models don't go brittle, but stretch out of shape and lose headspace even with infrequent shooting. That bolt mounted peep site tends to wobble all over the place, and that can be rough on precision shooting. They kick like a mule, too; Col. T. Whelen even said so.
<br>
<br>Fortunately for your friend, I think I may have a way to help him out. I know a guy that has a purely historical interest in these relics. He is an engineer for a company that analyzes the mechanics involved in industrial accidents. I'd be happy to act as his intermediary for your friend. That is if '300Savage' regains his senses and retracts his offer to discuss the situation before I have a chance to work on your friend to solve his problem. I'm sure that my friend's offer will be generous, but he would not want to compete with '300Savage'. My friend is native american, and has a taboo about being in conflict with crazy people.
<br>
<br>My friend's name is Ken S Latrans. Maybe you know him?
<br>
<br>SINCERELY,
<br>
<br>RandyS
<br>aka_palouse@att.net

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Randy S your still around? Glad to hear your back. 300Savage aka Salmon Slayer. Still playing with the 1920's and 20's. Gee I never knew that they had all those problems with brittle receivers, bad headspace, and loose sights. I guess I better get rid of my minty 20 in 250-3000 with the factory 26 inch heavy barrel and shouded front sight with that Bad Lyman 54 rear sight before something breaks.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
HEY! That's right!
<br>
<br>I haven't pestered you about getting stats on that rifle in a long time. Did you ever write to Mr. C requesting a letter? If not, I hope it is not for lack of stamp. If necessary, I'll help with the 'stamp'. Let's hear an update!! Let's see: non standard barrel length, non standard front sight, apparently original, and no stripper clip slots. Not your average duck decoy jerk-cord stake.
<br>
<br>Randy
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Randy, you have one excellent memory. No I have not written to Mr. C. In fact I had plum forgot, thanks for reminding me. Over the years I have killed too many brain cells so that I need to either be reminded or have to write things down or do them when I think about them. Good to hear from you, what new model 1920's and Lyman 54's have you picked up in your travels? My last Savage purchase was a very nice 1917 22 Hi Power that is going deer hunting with me next week here in Michigan. I came accross an orginal Marbles Peep sight in the orginal box on ebay that is now sitting on my rifle(without the box). Hopefully I can give the forum an update on the effectivness of that round on the Michigan Whitetail. I have both Norma factory ammo and handloads ready, the rifle is sighted in and shoots very well. 2 inch group at 100 yards. Talk to you when I return on Dec 2nd, hopefully the deer Gods will be smiling on me and I will have some venison when I return. Salmon Slayer

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I can already tell that I am going to have to an indepth study on thjis rifle. My old friend is deer hunting in the deep piney woods of East Texas this weekend, and I don't have access to the rifle until he gets back. When I can get it in my hands I will make a chamber casting and see just how much the chamber has stretched. I will also take it to my range and see how it shoots. He said very good, but I will see for myself. I do appreciate the commentary on this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gents
<br>
<br>Randy S forgot to mention that the 1899s of the same period as the 1920s, being made of the same steel and in the .250 and .300 too, also turn brittle and blow up and I understand that some of the steel actually has been seen to turn green and purple under the blue. .
<br>
<br>miki

IC B3

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
My interest in these vintage Savages is very recent and my knowledge limited, and perhaps I am being gullable about their shortcomings but if you want to rid yourselves of any shoddy 1920's era rifles I will allow you dump them on the newbie. I know I may be too generous, but I will even pay shipping and transfer costs if your conscience will let you take such advantage.
<br>
<br>Fireplug

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I could be interested if the price is fair enough. I think they are nice looking guns and I do like the 250 round. A good description and how much is about all I need. I dont know anything about guns blowing up, and I am a poor enough shot that the peep sight wont matter at all!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bubba John,
<br>
<br>I chamber cast used rifles before firing, at least where practical. I'd also recommend removing the action from the stock for a visual inspection, and cleaning. (Don't bugger all those stock screws!) Inspect the bolt, too. You never know what previous owners might have tried to do the gun. (A recent web ad for a M20 suggested that you could convert the rifle to 300 WSM.) Plus, you might find something interesting, and will get a better understanding of the model design.
<br>
<br>Just be carefull when chamber casting the M20. It has a flat barrel face, like a Mauser 98. If you over fill the chamber too much, you will have a mushroom headed cast that can not be removed from the breech area, and you will teach your young son many new curse words. Both are bad things.
<br>
<br>I was poking fun at what I believe are two urban legends; brittle and soft receivers. I've read where people explain away excessive headspace in M20 rifles as the receiver stretching or the bolt lugs setting back the receiver shoulders due to soft receiver metal. Not that many gunsmiths have even seen a M20, let alone one with excessive head space.
<br>
<br>Gunsmiths are using SAMII standard go/no go gauges, but the M20 was built before SAMII came along. The chamber on some rifles in good condition might be a little long for current cartridge dimentions. If the chamber dimentions don't match those of modern made cartridges, it is not the fault of the rifle. Just fire form the brass to the rifle's chamber, then reload so that the cases are not set to the incorrect SAMII specifications.
<br>
<br>Give us a description of the rifle, when you get a chance. But I get the next shot at the rifle, if Salmon Slayer don't want it!
<br>
<br>Randy

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Salmon Slayer is going to pass on this one. I don't like the look of the stock which appears to have been sanded right over the checkering prior to an earlier refinish. Also, their is no mention of the bore. I bought a dog that look just like this one back in April of 2001 that I sent back to the seller because the bore was completely shot out, I mean no rifling was present. It also had a non orginal front sight. I wonder if this could be the same rifle, because It did come up for sale again in late 2001 or early this year and I tried to warn folks on the old Savage Site the S/N on the one I returned was #7791. I have become very cautious of internet sales after that experience and what I have read. By the way I did get my money back less shipping and my FFL fee to my local dealer. I would rather go to a gun show and look at 100's of guns for $5 rather than pay $50-60 to look at one dog and have to eat the cost. Food for thought!

Last edited by 300Savage; 11/13/02.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.