Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Texgunner, if you pulled the forend and barrels and made a clear photo of the water table and bottoms of the tubes you should get some proofmarks and other coding that a Germanic gun expert can identify (I'm NOT one!).

The best place I've found is the German/Austrian gun forum on the website www.doublegunshop.com/BBS, but you can also ask on the general doublegun forum (the first one on the site). Some serious experts hang out both places and it is, in general, a very civil website.

Hard to tell where a drilling was made and by whom, since many of them had the major components sourced in the white from big old factories like J.P.Sauer and Sons, or Simpson Suhl, or Kreighoff, and finished by a smaller gunsmith or small factory and then often marked by the shop that sold them.

So it gets complicated. But an expert can usually tell you at least where the larger components were made (and when) and what country the gun was intended to be used in--where the final proof was done. And some guns just remain mysteries, even to an expert.

What a nice "mystery" to to try to solve!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't know much about the proof marks but yours has several similarities to mine to where I think it might be a Franz Jaeger. The rib, hammers and the transfer for the rifle barrel all look very similar to mine. Of course it could be one of any number of makers.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by mart
I don't know much about the proof marks but yours has several similarities to mine to where I think it might be a Franz Jaeger. The rib, hammers and the transfer for the rifle barrel all look very similar to mine. Of course it could be one of any number of makers.

Thanks for the info mart! Much appreciated. I'll take her down in a day or so and really look her over under a good light, maybe outside. I'll take pics of my findings.
Gary

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 73 invisible), 3,184 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.