-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What results have members of the Campfire had with this bullet in a standard .223 on deer? I have a newly acquired Browning with an 8 twist that I am thinking of trying on deer this fall. I have a load that shoots quite well and am wondering how it might perform. Shots are likely to be 100 yards or less over a food plot. Thanks for any reports on your experiences.

Jim

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Great performance. Haven't caught one yet. It ain't one to try to stretch things out with though....my kids ask if we're going to be using "the lumps" which they've heard me call them. They fly like a lump but kill well. I haven't used them past 70 yards or so on deer (.223).

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ive only used them on a couple deer and didn't like them. That said a pard did some culling with them, 23 critters, and he thought they were the shizz.....

His sample is bigger than mine!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used them on plenty of deer, both Reds and Fallow. They are great bullets. I've since started using the 64gn Nosler bonded which I'm liking a lot, but the Speers would certainly be my second choice.

Here are some "death by 70 gn Speer from a standard .223" pictures (my son is the 'stunt shooter')

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm sure it is.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In California, the orange tip on that Tikka would be illegal, as an orange tip legally designates a toy gun and is not to be misapplied. Not that it's here nor there, just something I noticed.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's just red tape, normally I use blue as according to an 'expert' here on the fire it scares the deer away grin

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
In California, the orange tip on that Tikka would be illegal

WTF wouldn't be illegal in CA?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by OlongJohnson
In California, the orange tip on that Tikka would be illegal

WTF wouldn't be illegal in CA?

Dave

Idiocy is the only thing that jumps out.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by ingwe

I'm sure it is.

Travis

Just wait, Nipper, if you get to be that old, your sample will be smaller too.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I took down a Blacktail a number of years ago, with one out of a 22.250....at about 200 yds...

there was a smaller buck with him... they saw me at about 100 yds or so, and turned to run directly away from me down a slight draw, back into the woods, after crossing the Forest Service road on an uphill side heading down hill...

I aimed over the tail ( avoiding the "texas heart shot, as I don't care to do those).. and pulled the trigger... with those I have had a number of successful hits over the years, and when I miss, the deer gets away without being wounded... its a small narrow target at that angle...

this shot connected with that bullet, leaving the muzzle at about 3250 fps or more...

didn't hit the backbone but the back of the neck instead...

sent it head over teakettle...

the bullet had hit the spine, and then opened up...

the front of its neck was split and actually opened like a book... with the exit "wound" being the size of a book..

the antlers and head weren't worth mounting, before the shot... much less AFTER the shot...

shot others with the 223 and that bullet, but that was the most dramatic and bloody kill with one...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have some 70 grain Speers, of .228 diameter, that I've been meaning to try out of a Savage .22 HiPower. Assuming they are the same as the .224s just .004" bigger, hoping that they'll perform as well which is why I'm keenly following this thread. Velocity would be in the neighborhood of one fired from a .223.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 70 grain Speer semi-pointed bullet from a 22-250 is a very good whitetail bullet, and my barrel really like them.
If your barrel doesn't like them, you can also try the Winchester 64 grain Power Point without breaking the bank.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
What results have members of the Campfire had with this bullet in a standard .223 on deer? I have a newly acquired Browning with an 8 twist that I am thinking of trying on deer this fall. I have a load that shoots quite well and am wondering how it might perform. Shots are likely to be 100 yards or less over a food plot. Thanks for any reports on your experiences.

Jim

Hornady 75 gr A-Max is what you want even tho the Speer is a great bullet.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 19 invisible), 1,366 guests, and 865 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.