Hop To
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Just a quick FYI item---

I shot a cow elk at perhaps 80 yards with a .260 Rem and the 120 gr Nosler E-Tip, mv 2920 fps, and the terminal performance was great. I was above the animal, and it was quartering toward me. The bullet entered in front of one shoulder, and out the ribs behind the other. The cow never took a step, but rolled downhill a goodly ways. It was late, and the truck was still a couple hour hike away, so no photos or detailed post-mortem. But upon skinning the animal the next morning, the exit wound was compact and tidy--not a blown out hole, leaving me with the impression that the bullet was still hanging together nicely.

A lot of us have extensive Barnes monobullet experience, but the ETip is newer. This was my first hunting use of one, and it gave me confidence in the bullet.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks for the report. Did you have any issues achieving accuracy? I'm hoping to field test the 127gr LRX out of my 260 this fall, both on elk (cow) and whitetails. I have nothing but respect for the 120gr TTSX, but thought I'd go a tad heavier for the elk.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not the 6.5, but I have had like results with the 100 grain out of my 25-06. Accuracy has been excellent and load development short.

Have been waiting to get my hands on some of the new this year 55 grain 224 bullets to try in my 1-8 twist 220 Swift. Has anyone got their hands on any yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the report! I really need to either lighten up my current 260 or get another that's lighter so I use it more.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great report. Thank you for the details.

Semper Fi
IC B2

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
Thanks for the report. Did you have any issues achieving accuracy? I'm hoping to field test the 127gr LRX out of my 260 this fall, both on elk (cow) and whitetails. I have nothing but respect for the 120gr TTSX, but thought I'd go a tad heavier for the elk.

Kaiser Norton

I did not do extensive load development, but am getting around 1" three shot groups at 100 yards.

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by pointer
Thanks for the report! I really need to either lighten up my current 260 or get another that's lighter so I use it more.

This rifle weighs 7-4 even with an oversized Minox scope and seems to punch above its class.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by utah708
This rifle........seems to punch above its class.

That is the way of it with .264 caliber.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Kaiser Norton,

I've been shooting E-Tips into animals since 2007, when I took some 180-grain prototypes to South Africa and used them on big game from pronghorn-sized springbok at almost 400 yards to elk-sized blue wildebeest up close. In fact deliberately shot a wildebeest in the big shoulder joint as it quartered toward me in hopes of recovering a bullet, as up to that point all had zipped through. The bullet was found under the hide at the rear of the ribs, retaining 100% of its weight.

Since then have shot them in a bunch of other rifles in calibers from 6mm on up. Most rifles shoot them well, and sometimes very well. My NULA .257 Weatherby, for instance, will put five (not just three) into around 3/4" at 100 yards.

Very occasionally, however, a rifle just doesn't like them. Sometimes this can be cured (or at least reduced) by seating them somewhat deeper, the same technique that often helps TSX's. Once in a great while it can't, but in my experience that's rare.

The list of animals my wife and I have now taken with various E-Tips includes springbok, bushbuck, warthog, red hartebeest, warthog, gemsbok, blue wildebeest and zebra from Africa, and coyote, pronghorn, mule deer and elk from North America, including one of my bigger 6-point bulls. The cartridges have run from the .240 Weatherby to the .300 Winchester Magnum, including more moderate-velocity rounds such as the .308 Winchester, and I haven't seen anything remotely resembling a bullet failure yet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great info. I have sure been wondering about them every time I see a bunch of over-runs at SPS.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good report on the 120 gr E Tip, it is on my list to buy but haven't come across any yet.

Gerry.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have used the 7mm 150 gr eTip quite a bit taking game in Texas, Alaska and Africa with velocities of 2850 in my SAUM and 3,000 in my REm Mag.

I've found the eTips to be very accurate, consistently delivering 3/4" or better groups at 100. In fact, when Nosler put a bunch of overruns out for sale I bought 500 of them.

Game taken has included:

2x Sitka blacktail on Kodiak
1x Texas whitetail and 3x hogs
Springbok, Black wildebeest, Blue wildebeest, Red hartebeest, Zebra and Eland.

All were one shot kills except the Eland and the only bullet I recovered has been from the Zebra (after nearly 36" of travel, two ribs and a shoulder). The Eland bullets didn't exit but I forgot to ask the skinners to save the bullets.

The Zebra bullet held together perfectly and was a textbook mushroom.

I've experienced no pressure issues, however my velocities are about 50 fps slower than similar loads with same weight accubonds. To be fair, my loads are usually a grain or two under max as I'm after the best accuracy I can get. Nosler recommends stopping in the middle range of the load data. Work up slowly and carefully...

In short, I like them a lot and they are my go to hunting bullet for my 7's.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by utah708
Originally Posted by pointer

This rifle weighs 7-4 even with an oversized Minox scope and seems to punch above its class.
I think my barrel and scope weigh that much... wink Once I lighten it, I imagine my 338 Win will get carried much less as it too is pretty heavy. Especially for cow elk and smaller critters.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've been kicking around the idea of trying those 150 e-tips in namibia next Summer. Any reloading recipes you guys will share in a 7mm Rem Magnificent?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 53 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,225
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.