Print Thread
Hop To
P
P_Weed Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
A friend just picked one up for another friend - and the shotgun does not fit him at all!
So I'm next in line if I want it - $260.

I have not owned a shotgun for a few years now, and am wanting to start hunting ducks, geese, and pheasants again. (Some skeets too!)
This light shotgun feels more comfortable and fits me better than just about any shotgun I have ever owned, shot, or shouldered.
It is in near perfect condition, and I am curious as to when it was manufactured, and if it will shoot lead and steel shot? (Serial No. LX002399)

I'm also curious as to this shotgun's reputation for quality, reliability, and accuracy?
I'd appreciate any input, information, or opinions.

Tomorrow morning we're taking it out to see how it actually shoots - and how good that feels!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Weed, I've owned and hunted with three of them over the last 35 years (the first version of this gun was the Model 1200). It is in the catagory of a Mossberg 500 - not the top of the line, but not the bottom either - a standard grade item that replaced the Model 12 pump (but didn't make anyone happy in doing so). Mine have been very reliable, never had an issue with any of them. My current one is a M1300 "Waterfowl Special" version my Dad bought new around 1985 as a back up gun when hunting on the Eastern Shore. He never used it and gave it to me about five or six years ago when he quit hunting. I bought a 22" barrel for it and made it my dedicated turkey gun using a Pure Gold Turkey Tube. Every M1300 is acceptable for steel shot, Hevi-shot, and of course lead shot. They all came with the Winchoke system (same threads and interchangeable with the Invector choke system). That is a fair price for the gun in near perfect condition. I have a serial number list for these guns, but it ends in 1992 using a L prefix, before the LX prefix I ASSUME. Good shooting (I shot this turkey with mine earlier this week). Odessa

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a NWTF turkey version,and one I tricked out as a home defense gun. They're not a wingmaster or Ithaca 37 for quality but I like the action and never had any problems. They are light weight and are known as hard kickers with heavy loads, but it's only one shot for turkey if I'm lucky. They are great to carry if you're covering some ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have fixed a bunch of them with a lot of different problems... On my AVOID list...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
1200 was my first shotgun. It's been used and abused. It never learned to swim in the Snake River despite several dunkings.

Never had a problem with it.

It's not pretty, but it's going to my son to use and abuse some more.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
We were issued 1200s when I was in the Army, and they had a host of issues that civilian guns probably would never see, but they were there, and I'd avoid them, if it were me. I've owned several 870s, S&W 3000s (think Japanese 870, with improvements), and Ithaca 37s, and a Mossberg or two.

I like the now defunct S&W 3000s best (made by Howa), followed by the 870s. Ithacas are nice, but kick more than the other two brands. I sincerely doubt I'll ever own another Mossberg, but I'd rather have one of them than the 1300.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
I have a 1300 XTR in 12 gauge that I inherited from my father in law. I have never shot it, but I need to. All I have is the full choke Winchoke. I need to get on in IC. I think the XTR is their high line 1300.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had a few and still have 2 with no problems. They are hard kickers with heavy loads as will any light gun. They are nice to carry a lot and shoot some but that's usual for hunting, unless it's for doves....or you see lots of game and miss a lot??? Good price.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

413 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 44 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,325
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.