Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have owned Filson Jacket (outgrew), and now own a LLBean with windstopper, Johnson Mills light wool jacket. Filson is a tighter weave, and heavier than LLBean, but I love the placement of the hand warmer pockets on LLBEAN jackets, one set low and one set on the chest. In fact my wife has made fleece hunting vests and jackets for me with just the chest high hand warmers as that works best with my hunting packs and still hunting.

I currently am wearing my Filson wool vest which I will take to my grave!

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Molon no one garment does it "all". But I've never seen anyone turn their nose up at a Filson Double mac. Bitter cold and snow it cuts the mustard.

You'll pass it down to the next generation. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MolonLabe41
Thank you all for the excellent feedback.

can afford the Filson Double Mack, just trying to figure out if it's that much better than Woolrich.

It's not. Filson stuff is nice, very nice, but way overpriced. My Woolrich coat is over 30 years old and still going strong. BTW anybody what are the differences between the Alaska and Seattle fit in the Filson's is, please?

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/26/15.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I get a kick out of the Filson yuppie mags that show up in the mail.

Last one had some bullchit about farmers getting up early to harvest grain before the sun comes up.

Funny considering that is the absolute worst time be combining.

Of course maybe it isn't as humid at night out in the PNW compared to the plains...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Can't argue about Filson quality, but the stuff from Bemidji Woolen Mills is not far behind. I have used their stuff for decades and love it. Seems as though fences are about all that can destroy it!!!

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I get a kick out of the Filson yuppie mags that show up in the mail.

Last one had some bullchit about farmers getting up early to harvest grain before the sun comes up.

Funny considering that is the absolute worst time be combining.

Of course maybe it isn't as humid at night out in the PNW compared to the plains...

.......lol

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm an old timer that owned Woolrich when young. It was OK - good.

Couple of decades ago, or more, I tried Filson and never looked back. No-one else is even close neither in design or quality. I have lots of Filson everything.

Some years back Filson's president wrote to the customers contemplation having "some" product made overseas, and asked opinions. *( Last I heard everything was American made ). I wrote back and said if Filson goes off shore that's the end of Filson for me. Never again. Some short time later I read that Filson had decided to continue "American".

It's pricey. However, one hunting/sports store that I frequent does sometimes run specials. Best I recall I bought one of the "Tin Coats" for about 40% off list price.

I also have Carhart. It's good, heavy duty. I like it. *( I think some of my articles are also made in America ).

But Filson is way out there ahead *( For me ).

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
SamO: Yes the metro-yuppie influence has crept into all these brands....Filson, Pendleton, Woolrich,etc.. They all have lines catering to those markets even though these companies started out selling to hard core outdoorsman.

Some of it is "fashion statement" but I think the real reason is those folks (everyone from college students to professionals) got tired of freezing their asses off when the weather turned cold and nasty. smile The stuff they had did not cut it.

Got my first Filson Cruiser in Sitka ,Alaska many years ago. The commercial fisherman/brown bear guide I was with had one that was years old.I out grew it and sent it to RinB on here. grin Far as I know, he still has it.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A lot of hunters in northern New England buy their wool hunting jackets from Labonville in Gorham, NH. Their item #S701 for $123.

www.labonville.com

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Another vote for Johnson Woolen Mills. Not easy to find a local retailer, but they do have a website.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The double mack is beefy and with layers underneath, it can get hard to bend your arms. The last couple of years, I've mainly reserved mine for regular Winter wear, not hunting. I've got an old, made in America Cabelas waterfowl parka with real Thinsulate, and Real Goretex (not Sears Goretex). That coat is over 20 years old and refuses to die. It's very light, very warm, and still totally waterproof. It's slightly noisy, but not overly so, and I wear an oversized cheap "Winchester" fleece jacket from Whatamart with the sleeves cut off over it to satisfy the blaze orange rules and add some pockets. Great combo for stand hunting, rain, shine, or whatever.

Ditto on the Filson vest. I wear mine under my shirt, inside my pants to add a layer, and secure pockets. I also wore it to Christmas dinner last year. Very snazzy.

While we're at it, a Stormy Kromer wool hat is the best $40 you'll ever spend.

Last edited by Pappy348; 10/27/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After my Dad passed away I wore his Woolrich hunting coat (circa 1950s)for a few years until I out grew it. Thick wool with a light brown flannel lining, Heavy and warm.

Later I bought this Woolrich hunting coat that has a Thinsulate insulation liner. Just back from the dry cleaners. A little lighter than Dad's and still has my favorite feature...a large rear cargo pocket. Small thermos for coffee, drag rope, extra gloves/mittens, latex gloves, sandwich, snacks water bottle and a oversized packable two piece rain suit. Good setup while on stand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

In addition, I have a lighter weight wool coat made by Codet for higher levels of activity...perfect for still hunting or on a track, quiet. It has the the double layer shoulder/yoke and is remarkably warm as is. Occasionally I layer this with Cabela's Primaloft Passage jacket. Wool plaid and a 30-30 my kinda northwoods hunting. grin

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
When I was a kid, it was a badge of pride to get your first Johnson Woolen red plaid wool hunting jacket. I still have mine, even though I outgrew it years ago.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I still wear my old solid red color Woolrich hunting coat that I bought 20-30 years ago, although it seems to be shrinking again. I have actually put myself on strict diets in order to lose weight just so I could continue to wear it, and am in fact doing that very thing right now. Under it I wear a wool shirt and a pair of Woolrich wool bib overalls, with the latest lightest high tech underwear. Snug as a bug in a rug.

I will confess to lusting after a Fillson cruiser macinaw. If I could find one in solid red and size 44-46 I would jump on it like a chicken on a June Bug.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A Filson double Mac uses two layers of wool over the arms and shoulders. A single Mac uses one layer of slightly heavier wool. I have a single Mac that I love, but it rarely gets cold enough in CA to wear it.

Tin cloth doesn't breathe quite as well as Goretex, but you'll go through a dozen Goretex jackets before you'll wear out a Tin cloth. Filson also makes lighter weight waxed cotton clothing called Shelter Cloth and Cover Cloth. Shelter cloth is lighter than Tin cloth, but is what many others would still call heavy duty. For the max flexibility, use Cover cloth. It's not quite as indestructible as Tin cloth, but still wears well.

http://www.highlandhiker.com/Filson-Fabrics-sp-8.html

Filson is expensive, but worth every penny. Your grandkids will be still be wearing it decades from now.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So which of the two- Shelter or Tin- would equate to a Barbour waxed cotton coat? Mine is getting a bit ratty and I promised myself a replacement this year. (For casual wear around and about, not necessarily for hunting, although I do wear it into the duck blind now and again.)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by 444Matt
The reviews said that the fabric was very stiff, also mentioned the residue/smell.

Comments no doubt Due to being purchased by wuss hipsters. I love my oil finish tin cloth packer! No issues. No "real break in" noticed.

Sorry edit. It's a tin cruiser

Last edited by kaywoodie; 10/27/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buddy succembed to the temptation of buying a Filson tin whatever. Thought it would last.

He had wore through a couple spots in under a year.

I probably would avoid the high-dollar Filson if I was planning on really working in it and expecting it to hold up.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
So which of the two- Shelter or Tin- would equate to a Barbour waxed cotton coat? Mine is getting a bit ratty and I promised myself a replacement this year. (For casual wear around and about, not necessarily for hunting, although I do wear it into the duck blind now and again.)

I went with the Tin Cloth jacket and I've been very happy with it.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shelter will be the closet to a normal Barbour. Although Barbour also comes in various weights. Tin cloth is heavier than Shelter.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 829 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.