Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I have a need to "upgrade" my 94 Nissan Altima commuter and have found a really cheap but clean 2000 Subaru Forester S Awd with 5 spd locally ($1500). I haven't driven or had a chance to look under the hood of the Subaru but plan to today on the way home. My only reservations so far is that it has 230k miles, which is a lot but there's a lot of Subarus on the road with much higher mileage. No service records available so that's a negative.

I know they're prone to head gasket issues, but other than that aren't they pretty bulletproof? This isn't a long tern car, just something to put another 40-50k miles on and in a couple years replace with a newer truck. I drive about 70 miles round trip and this is a second vehicle for me.

GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
We have owned 2 foresters and 1 outback over the past many years. We just ordered a 2015 base model and paid 21,600 and we expect 200,000 miles out of her. The last one was a new 2012 and we sold her with 80k on it for 4k less that we paid new after 4 years. Best car on the market for soon conditions. If you live in town than any old car will do but if you live in the sticks go with a Forester

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just bought our 4th forester. Great cars IMHO. But at about 150,000 you will need to replace wheel bearings and timing belt if not already done. At about 180,000 the catalytic convertor will burn out. At about 200,000 the head gasket will go if not already replaced. But at 200,000 miles I think I got my money's worth on the prior foresters.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There seem to be dozens of Foresters here in the NM mountains, though there are even more Jeeps in various forms. They must be okay to be so popular.

My wife, who is from Japan, was saying the other day that she likes the looks and size of Foresters.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife owns a 2012 , 85000 miles , in the shop once cause she didn't tighten the gas cap down enough.. So it made the engine lite come on ! Sunroof model alum wheels heated seats 25500.00 out the door in Feb o12...(it is or will be in the furture a Forester or a rave4 of same vintage if we had to do it again ). Don't forget your NRA sticker for the rear glass !

Last edited by atvalaska; 10/27/15.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Anjin
There seem to be dozens of Foresters here in the NM mountains, though there are even more Jeeps in various forms. They must be okay to be so popular.

My wife, who is from Japan, was saying the other day that she likes the looks and size of Foresters.
I'm over 6' and 300 and I get in and out with ease and look Thur the center on the windshield... That's saying something..

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Do they come with a free dental dam?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have pulled some out of sand and mud, when yuppies on a geocache mission over estimated the off road ability of the Forester.

Sam......

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Subarus with automatics have different (inferior) AWD setup than those with sticks. An automatic subaru is basically front wheel drive - the only way the rear gets any torque is through a fast-acting clutch which locks up when the fronts turn faster than the rears. By then you've spun and it's too late.

The manual has an actual torque-biasing center differential.

All 2.5 subaru engines of that vintage will need head gaskets at some point.

We had a '98 forester manual while living in Anchorage - sold it for more than we paid, but we did elect to do the head gaskets at the same time as a timing belt swap.

B
BFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I have pulled some out of sand and mud, when yuppies on a geocache mission over estimated the off road ability of the Forester.

Ive pulled Jeep CJs out of mud holes with a toyo corolla cuz the redneck wannabees were to lazy stupid to drive around. I think these same guys are now internet xpurts on 4wh forums. smile

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
SIL brought a new Forester about ten years ago, it is still going strong and they beat it up prety good just getting into and out of their property.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Don't forget your NRA sticker for the rear glass !

Are you saying the new models don't have "Sierra Club" etched in the glass anymore? grin (I do wish they made them with pedals for the passengers also. I hate spending so much time tempting cross traffic in the intersections. eek )

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BFD

Ive pulled Jeep CJs out of mud holes with a toyo corolla cuz the redneck wannabees were to lazy stupid to drive around. I think these same guys are now internet xpurts on 4wh forums. smile

BFD, I've had the same/similar experience with 3 Subarus.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Well I drove it. The engine was clean, heads looked like they had a wrench on them so I'd bet the HG have been done at some point. There were some new vacuum hoses and plug wires looked new so some maintenance has been done.

The main faults I found were it needs an alignment, possibly front rotors and it will need new tires within 10k miles. Overall it's probably worth the asking price of $1500 but I'm just leary about daily driving something with 230k miles 70+ miles per day. I did like the roominess and smoothness of the 2.5L boxer engine.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 10/27/15.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

With apologies to the New England states, Colorado has surely become the Subaru capitol of the solar system........

They have a reputation of being very reliable cars,that includes from mechanic shops that do general repair on all makes/models.

And yes, find out if the head gaskets have been replaced--at that mileage I suspect they have been because the gaskets generally go out around 150k.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I drive the same car, a 2000 Forester 5sp, every day. About 400 miles a week. Mine had 190+K when I bought it.

Head gaskets were done at some point, not sure when. Timing belt as well. Probably about due for another!

Only issue I've had is the front wheel bearing. They are pricey (for a little wheel bearing) and must be press fit. I did the CV joint/axel at the same time. Took about an hour not counting dropping it at a shop to be press fit.

They are decent little cars that can do a lot. I like mine.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BFD

I have pulled Jeeps, Fords, Chevys and others out of mud and sand as well, with my old 4Runner.

What is your point? I hardly believe you pulled anything out of mud with a Corolla though. laugh

Last edited by Mannlicher; 10/27/15.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet if you drive a Subaru nobody will notice how gay your 270 is.

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by elkchsr

I dont own a 270, sold it off years ago (a Tikka at that). If I buy the Subaru does that make me only half gay?

Lots of miles on this one but it's cheap and clean. I'll probably pass considering I put 20k on a vehicle in a year.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Originally Posted by elkchsr

I dont own a 270, sold it off years ago (a Tikka at that). If I buy the Subaru does that make me only half gay?

Lots of miles on this one but it's cheap and clean. I'll probably pass considering I put 20k on a vehicle in a year.

If the head gaskets have been done, you would be a fool not to buy this car.

Yes it's a lezbaru. But, WTH cares? Buy it cheap and run it into the ground. Says the guy that drives 60k+ miles on per year.

Montana MOFO
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 160user, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,039 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,309
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.