Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Had an inspection done today on a house we're looking at buying. We have an accepted offer and are going through the steps. I paid for the inspection out of pocket.

No major red flags, except that ALL of the plumbing inside the home are polybutylene. It was built in 1995 and we observed some corrosion around the camp-bands, but didn't see any leaks.

What do you guys recommend? Should I ask to have it all replaced, use it as a bargaining chip, or something else?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
reduce the price or bail. however you deal with it, just know it will be a problem.

ked

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 10/28/15.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seriously doubt your going to get the homeowner to replace it as you're talking about 10's of thousands of dollars of plumbing and drywall work.

Sometimes you have to evaluate to pain of loosing your earnest money vs. living with a house that's going to cost you 10 times as much in repairs and hassles down the road.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Polybutylene is known for becoming brittle with time, it will have to be replaced sooner or later.

It has already been 20 years and it's nearing the end of its life for sure. lots of houses around here were plumbed from the street to the house with the crap and I see many a year getting dug up and replaced. I know of a couple that have cracked at the water meter and flooded the house.

Either figure on replumbing the house or walk from the deal, If you do this kind of work yourself it could turn out to be a money saver for you on the purchase of the house.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hold the phone...

If the seller did not disclose the nature of the pipes before you signed papers, the deal is off, null, and void. That is a material fact that they are obligated to disclose prior to sale.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by denton
Hold the phone...

If the seller did not disclose the nature of the pipes before you signed papers, the deal is off, null, and void. That is a material fact that they are obligated to disclose prior to sale.

I wondered about that and have been trying to remember if there was anything about polybutylene pipes on the seller's disclosure form. I believe I would have remembered if it had been listed, as I went through this with the main water line on my current home. I'll be checking in the morning.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I wouldn't knowingly buy a house with that plumbing. That should have been disclosed but I suspect it normally isn't. Good you found out now, rather then when the flooding starts.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to replumb my last home as it was galvanized steel and my insurance company said no way. I did it in pex in a day. If it's single story home with unfinished basement or a crawl.....I'd make money doing it myself.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
First are you on well water or public water? Public water with 2% or more floride added to the water caused the poly pipes to fail. Is the homes poly plumbing on an octupus system where the piping is branched to each each water fixture from the main water supply line coming into the house. Is so you have the last generation of poly pipes.

The poly piping should have been disclosed by the seller of the home before you wrote a contract even if the seller had not had a pluming failure. Now that you have a home inspection and the poly piping is know to exist the seller now has to disclose the existence of the poly pipes to the next buyer if you decide to walk away from the home.

Have the seller replace the poly pipes before settlement. If there is not enough time to replace have the seller escrow the funds from his proceeds to pay for the replacement directly to a plumber and drywall contractor.

Poly pipes was known to fail as early as 1992, why the
plumbing was used in your home in 1995 was negligence on
the plumbing contractor.

Doc

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have a contingency in the contract for having the house inspected?
If you didn't your real estate agent could be liable.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
First are you on well water or public water? Public water with 2% or more floride added to the water caused the poly pipes to fail. Is the homes poly plumbing on an octupus system where the piping is branched to each each water fixture from the main water supply line coming into the house. Is so you have the last generation of poly pipes.

The poly piping should have been disclosed by the seller of the home before you wrote a contract even if the seller had not had a pluming failure. Now that you have a home inspection and the poly piping is know to exist the seller now has to disclose the existence of the poly pipes to the next buyer if you decide to walk away from the home.

Have the seller replace the poly pipes before settlement. If there is not enough time to replace have the seller escrow the funds from his proceeds to pay for the replacement directly to a plumber and drywall contractor.

the plumbing contractor.

Doc

Two things. I had a house with a polybutylene supply line that ruptured, so it does happen. Funny that several in the neighborhood all blew up within a year of each other. This was mid 90's.

Second, optimum fluoride levels in municipal drinking water is 1 part per million. Big difference between 2% and .0001%.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Depends on how much I want the house and how much work.

My house is single floor, crawl space (which is about 4' high). It would be a breeze to replace piping here.

If it's easy to replace and you want the house, lower the offer.

Our house had septic issues, I knew going in, we lowered and I replaced. I had a 'basic' quote before we ever closed so I knew how much money it would cost.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have well water and HAD polybutylene pipes. House was built in mid 90's and a couple of years ago the pipes leaked/sprayed under the house. Didn't know it until damage was done. Had to have subfloors replaced as well as hardwood inside the home plus some other stuff. After this happened, I replaced ALL of the poly pipes, which did include cutting the Sheetrock out in places, but I didn't want to ever have this problem again. I had no idea about the failure of these pipes until I learned the hard way.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Had an inspection done today on a house we're looking at buying. We have an accepted offer and are going through the steps. I paid for the inspection out of pocket.

No major red flags, except that ALL of the plumbing inside the home are polybutylene. It was built in 1995 and we observed some corrosion around the camp-bands, but didn't see any leaks.

What do you guys recommend? Should I ask to have it all replaced, use it as a bargaining chip, or something else?

major deal , reduce the price and replace all that crap.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

the plumbing contractor.

Doc

Thanks, Doc. Public water system; don't know about the floride content. I believe it is an 'octopus' design but will have to confirm.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by arkypete
Do you have a contingency in the contract for having the house inspected?
If you didn't your real estate agent could be liable.

Jim

Yes, we have such a contingency. What bugs me is that I had to pay for the inspection out of pocket to the tune of ~$500.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks again, gents. I'll be reviewing the seller's disclosure statement again today. We'll then approach the seller about possible resolutions. We really like the property, and the search for the right thing has been a tough one.

It has a crawl space so replacing the stuff is not impossible. I don't have the time to do it and will have to solicit bids from contractors. Much will depend on the seller's attitude about the problem. If he doesn't seem open to resolving it I am prepared to walk away.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

the plumbing contractor.

Doc

Thanks, Doc. Public water system; don't know about the floride content. I believe it is an 'octopus' design but will have to confirm.

See my post above. 2% fluoride in drinking water doesn't exist.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
500 is cheap to know about it ahead of time....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,439
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.