Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I've just acquired a new to me rifle and I'm having some trouble finding information on it. It's a neat little 20 gauge over .22 mag with double triggers. You pull the rear trigger to cock the rifle and the front trigger to fire it. My perceived problem is the adjustable front trigger. It's so light, even after backing the screw all the way out, that just a light touch releases the hammer. When the screw is tightened, and I use that term lightly, the hammer will actually just barely catch as the rear trigger is pulled rearward and then release as the I let off said rear trigger. I know this is a high end combination gun, but I have no experience with these, and I'm wondering if this is normal. The gun looks like it was barely used if at all. Has anyone had any hands on time with a Heym adjustable trigger? Thanks in advance for your replies.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It sounds like a double set trigger. Such a trigger operates in two modes. The front lever is the actual trigger, the rear lever is used to "set" the trigger. Neither actually cocks the gun.

The way it works is this. The first mode is using the trigger set. You do this by pulling the rear lever until it clicks, or "cocks" the trigger mechanism. When you do this the front lever, the actual trigger, will typically be very light, going off more or less at a touch. This mode is intended for a deliberate shot when you have time, though when you get used to it you may find yourself using it more often (I've often realised, even after taking a quick running shot, that I set the trigger out of force of habit).

The other mode however, is unset. This is where you just pull the front lever, without setting the mechanism with the rear. Typically the trigger pull in this mode will be a lot heavier, and it is intended for those quick shots where you don't have time to set the trigger.

Have you tried using the trigger unset, ie without "cocking" the rear trigger?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just did a quick Google, and it appears that the Heym 22 was indeed offered with double set trigger.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
It is a double trigger, but the rear one does in fact cock the hammer. I saw it called a kick spanner mechanism. I have the original factory certificate for the gun from April 1968 with the matching serial number. On the back of the certificate the instructions call it a unique double safety system, requiring the gun to be manually cocked instead of cocking on closing. This model is different than most of the other models I've seen listed. I can say for sure that it is not a typical set trigger setup.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Usually "kickspanner" means a tang slide, like a tang safety, which is pushed forward to cock the action. I have a gun with such a mechanism myself, and they are not uncommon. Heym 22s were made with such a mechanism too:

[Linked Image]

I don't know of any in which the rear "trigger" performs that function. Not saying it doesn't exist, just running out of ideas.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The front trigger will not fire without first "cocking" the rear trigger. There doesn't seem to be much info out there on the model 22. This was obtained from a family friends estate, so what you see is the only info I have. I'm hoping someone else here has some hands on experience with one of these.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Sorry for the poor lighting and pics, but here she is...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The lockwork of those guns is like a Swiss watch. You should remove the butt stock and liberally spray th lock work and inside the rear of the action with Breakfree or similar product and work the triggers and safety while doing so. Then set it with barrels up and let th action drip out overnight before putting the stock back on

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Try posting this over on the German gun collectors association forum.
Perhaps someone over there can assist.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You might also find the inertia block spring has been relaxed to make the firing trigger even lighter. It's usually the screw(s) that hold the large spring down. You can try to tighten it up and see if that makes the front trigger more adjustable.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know little about this gun and am liking the learning experience.

BTW, that Scopechief was a very good scope back in the early 1980s. The optics tests showed them to be superior to the VariXII Loopies in many respects. I bought two of the same scopes back then, and I put one on my grandson's 243 recently for his first deer hunt. He nailed a 3X3 mulie at 420 yards. I use the other on a vintage Mdl 70 of mine.

I think brayhaven might be on the right track.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I was hoping I wouldn't end up disassembling it. I'm unsure of the value on this, although I suspect it's a high end gun, it was part of a gift from a family friends late husbands estate. I'm teetering on the edge of selling it since there are others that I received that I will actually use, and I'm currently facing a layoff. I hate keeping guns I won't use, but it's such a beautiful firearm. Thanks everyone for all of your input thus far. Anyone got any idea on the value?

O
O
Heym Mod. 22 ST
Recently received a like new 16b over .22 magnum
Where can I get a brochure as was shown here?
Thanks!
Jim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,376
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.