Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I saw this one at the gun show today. A guy I see at a good many of the shows had it. He almost always has at least 1 pre64 at the shows I've seen him at.

The wood on this one was very good. No chips, dings, scratches of any kind. It does have a buttpad and appears to have had a portion of the widow's peak cut to receive the pad. The bluing is very good and the bore and bolt face are pristine and look like it may have never been fired much. It is drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver for a scope mount, but the screws look like they've never been touched. The seller said he believes it came from the factory that way. I did a quick check of my Winchester serial numbers manual and the date of manufacture would have been 1955.

I would have taken more pics, but it was a busy show and a lot more people there on the last day than usual. The reason I usually go on the last day is the crowds and possibility of a better deal.

He's asking $1150 for it. Pretty sure he'll go for less.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If I decide to pass and someone else is interested, I'll gladly put you in touch.

Cheers,
LD

Last edited by local_dirt; 11/01/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Few more pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle. Pad and extra holes, plus the deep scratches in the floorplate reduce the value of this one though....Original sling swivels are not there as well. I'd put a value of about $700.00 on it.. The extra drilled holes in the side of the receiver really reduce the value. I remember seeing one at a local gunshow, with extra holes drilled in the side of the receiver, for 3 years in a row with no buyer at $650.00.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That gun isn't "super clean." I concur with BSA: $700 at best, and likely less due to the extra holes in the receiver.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, fellas. As I thought, but didn't even think about the sling swivels.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Are the holes for a scope mount or are they two holes close together near the rear of the receiver, which would be factory drilled holes for a receiver sight. I just bought an identical gun in similar with an added pad but with no extra holes. It was $1,000 and included a Leupold VX2. I think I got a great deal for a really clean shooter.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My thoughts also, re the receiver sight holes??? As to value, a nice '55 70 with a pad has got to be worth as much as a 700 or a 77.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Are the holes for a scope mount or are they two holes close together near the rear of the receiver, which would be factory drilled holes for a receiver sight. I just bought an identical gun in similar with an added pad but with no extra holes. It was $1,000 and included a Leupold VX2. I think I got a great deal for a really clean shooter.

OP makes it sound like they are extra holes drilled and tapped in the side of the receiver for "scope mounts". No pictures of the port side of the rifle or we'd know for certain what he's talking about. As you said, the factory drilled 2 holes near the rear of the receiver:

[Linked Image]

Maybe the OP can let us know for sure. I'd up my value estimate if I knew which holes he's talking about, but hold true to the $700.00 estimate if there are more than the 2 factory drilled holes as pictured above..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fellas, they are the factory drilled holes as discussed and as I described in original post. They are identical to BSA's pic in post above.

The seller was not offering a scope with the deal.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
When you said "It is drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver for a scope mount", probably most here thought of the G&H/Williams/Weaver side mounts people had their guns drilled and tapped for in the '50s & '60s so they could see their irons underneath. Have seen several receivers that looked like Swiss cheese after Bubba tried to do it himself with a hand drill. That totally tanks their value. The two factory holes at the rear of the receiver are more commonly referred to as receiver sight holes, although there might have been an odd scope mount or two that used them.
If the metal work's good you could always shop for a nicer stock to get it back to factory condition. I think the other guys could give you a better value than I.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Stith marketed mounts that used the factory d&t receiver sight holes for scope mounting back in the day. Saved a lot of rear receiver bridges from being maimed....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That M70 has the heavy non-Featherweight barrel and the stock is ruined with that gross slapped on recoil pad.

[Linked Image]

Don't make an offer on it. Let it go. It's not worth 1/2 price.

Look for a Featherweight in much better shape.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
When you said "It is drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver for a scope mount", probably most here thought of the G&H/Williams/Weaver side mounts people had their guns drilled and tapped for in the '50s & '60s so they could see their irons underneath. Have seen several receivers that looked like Swiss cheese after Bubba tried to do it himself with a hand drill. That totally tanks their value. The two factory holes at the rear of the receiver are more commonly referred to as receiver sight holes, although there might have been an odd scope mount or two that used them.
If the metal work's good you could always shop for a nicer stock to get it back to factory condition. I think the other guys could give you a better value than I.

Spot on. That's the way I read it. Generally there's no need to mention the 2 holes in the receiver because they are factory drilled and tapped. It's like saying the rifle had a bolt or a trigger..... wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
BSA, gotcha.

Didn't really have a use for it, anyway. I'm happy with the 30-06 FWT I got from handwerk last year. That gun has really turned out nice.

What I'm really looking for is a .270 FWT. Yeah, I know. Keep looking. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
One thing I try to remember before buying a gun is to decide whether it is what I really want. Buying something because it is a good deal often fouls up having funds available when something you really want comes along! (I don't always listen to myself!)

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
There are 270 Fwts. out there, but bargain prices are virtually non-existent. High condition examples are $1,800+ where I shop for guns....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
High condition examples of fwt 270s are virtually unheard of this side of the border, at least I haven't seen one in original condition. Every one I have seen has been "well used".

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I saw this one at the gun show today. A guy I see at a good many of the shows had it. He almost always has at least 1 pre64 at the shows I've seen him at.

The wood on this one was very good. No chips, dings, scratches of any kind. It does have a buttpad and appears to have had a portion of the widow's peak cut to receive the pad. The bluing is very good and the bore and bolt face are pristine and look like it may have never been fired much. It is drilled and tapped on the left side of the receiver for a scope mount, but the screws look like they've never been touched. The seller said he believes it came from the factory that way. I did a quick check of my Winchester serial numbers manual and the date of manufacture would have been 1955.

I would have taken more pics, but it was a busy show and a lot more people there on the last day than usual. The reason I usually go on the last day is the crowds and possibility of a better deal.

He's asking $1150 for it. Pretty sure he'll go for less.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If I decide to pass and someone else is interested, I'll gladly put you in touch.

Cheers,
LD

Given clarification on holes I would say $850-900. I paid $1,000 for a similar condition gun with a $150-200 scope included. I also bought a 270 Featherweight on campfire a couple of months ago for $750. Original Bluing on the .270 I would rate at 98-99 percent if someone would have not polished the bolt and refinished the stock. Regardless, it is a nice shooter that has not been fired much.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I think it just depends on whether you like the rifle or not. I paid 1150 for this and I know it's not collectible,but I can spend a lot more on any rifle. So it's good to ask the RKI's and learn,it just boils down to what you want.

p.s. Would I rather have the Op's rifle or mine...I like mine better and I bet many would disagree or say neither...like a say it depends on whether the rifle is what you want.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Is that a Lyman Alaskan in Griffin & Howe mounts? To me, that's a classy setup. For the time period, it didn't get much better. I know the side mount holes hurt "collector" value, but it wouldn't bother me to own one that looks like that!

Last edited by tmitch; 11/03/15.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,365
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.