Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Last night was it, the end of one reality, and the beginning of another. I was supposed to be able to come in and wander around saying goodbye to all of my old friends. Three of us, the top three senior people, start an hour before the other full timers. So I reported to my work area and my sup said he didn't think I had to come in. I said I didn't and was just going to putz around talking to all of the old guys. He said OK and asked if I minded sorting till the other full timers started to show up. I said not problem. Four hours later he comes over and says he's sorry for "KEEPING" me so long. I said no problem "You weren't KEEPING me, I was chatting with my friends as I helped". He said thanks and he would try not to "KEEP" me on the back half, after lunch. I said "no problem, you're not "KEEPING" me. He said see you in a bit and I started laughing. He looked at me smiling and said "what". I said you need to listen to what people say and not what you want to hear. What did I just say. He repeated that "He wasn't KEEPING me" then he really busted up laughing and said you're leaving now aren't you. I said "YEP" my knee made it up those steps once last night and that was it.

I have two and a half cords of firewood to deliver this weekend. That should be enough to bring home a pre war 99 in 30-30 I got a lead on. Then Tuesday I get my left knee replaced. Good news is my surgeon said 99% sure I'll be able to go to the farm in WV for opening day. Won't be able to traipse around the woods but I can snipe a deer in the field in front of the trailer from a camp chair.

I think I'll be able to handle this retirement stuff, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck Joe.

I envy you.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good for you. And good you're getting your knee taken care of.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
CONGRATULATIONS!! I checked out 5 years ago. Life is good doing what I want to do!!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good to hear, Joe. Follow your doc's orders to a "T" and give your physical therapists what they ask for. Don't macho your way out of taking the pain meds, they're given to you for a reason- some of the early therapy simply can't be done without knocking the edge off the pain first.

Perhaps in a couple weeks after you're over the hump I'll stop by and shoot the bull. (By then your wife will be glad for a break!)

If you need someone to schlep you around, give a shout. I know what it's like to round up people to drive you around after a joint replacement.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks Gary, by all means, if your'e heading up or down 70 stop in. I know I'll be bored stiff. I was hoping to have a new 99 to play with, but I haven't had time to follow up on it, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congratulations and good luck with your knee.

Oh, and BTW, retirement IS all it is cracked up to be. grin

I got out 11 years ago and have never regretted it.

Life is good.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by donsm70
Congratulations and good luck with your knee.

Oh, and BTW, retirement IS all it is cracked up to be. grin

I got out 11 years ago and have never regretted it.

Life is good.

donsm70

Retired one year and don't know why I waited so long...also don't know how I ever had time to work smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's great Joe. Congratulations, and good luck with that knee surgery!

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Congrats Joe!

I just posted over on a retirement thread over on the Hunter's Campfire forum... hope to be able to go in 2yrs myself..time will tell.

Enjoy!

dave

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks everyone. I wanted to go two more years because we have what we call a Super Pension. We get an extra 6% per year for each year over age 60, and I would bottom out on my health benefits at $164 per month apiece for my wife and I. But being back inside handling packages for 6 months wiped my knee out. That 12% Super Pension went right out the window, being able to walk means more, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Joe, and all the best - long life and good health. smile

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Congratulations, enjoy every minute of your retirement.

I've got 31 years in and they keep making the minimum age to draw my pension older. Every time I think I can reach the carrot, they keep pulling it away.

Good luck.

Lee

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Enjoy your retirement--you EARNED it!

I've been retired for eight + years; got out 2 years early because of a lucky break just before the "Great Recession" hit. A very good time to be lucky....so many were not.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I retired 8 yrs ago and also don't know how I had time to work. Remember they are paying you to stay home and do what YOU want.
Good luck on the knee and take your time with rehab, don't over do it.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sorry Joe been at a buddies hunting some but mostly rained out! I was forced to retire I guess about a year ago after med troubles, enjoy your Retirement but KEEP BUSY! dont just sit in front of the TV! I dont seem to have enough time now days!, dont know how I ever got time to do anything when I worked! Happy Hunting brother!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations, Now you're going to get really busy!

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Joe,
Congratulations !!! and take care of that knee.
All the time you had in the sup should have given you one of those brown trucks. grin

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 204guy, 69 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,118
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.