Page 33 of 175 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 174 175
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by cv540
I've seen those HEAVY, and razor sharp pointed trocars BEND on bullhide, and have helped a vet use a big rawhide mallet to get one of the things between a bull's ribs.

So lots of shots to the chest where they won't over-penetrate kind of makes sense.

with 9 mm hollow points ?

.....having a hard time believing I just read that.

real head shaker, that one.

GTC

Sometimes you have to improvise with what you are equipped with, at the time. Not ideal, but probably not an option to say, "wait here" while I drive back to the station and get something different and more suited to the job.

(But maybe you and I should just mosey on down to the Pointless Arguments and Insult thread, cuz I think I see where this is going)

Improvise ?

Mister, you don't know a bull from your behind, and I seriously doubt you've ever shot or BUTCHERED one.

not an option to say, "wait here" while I drive back to the station and get something different and more suited to the job.

The fact that the Two deputies only had 9mm handguns in their units or immediately available while working in that particular area's a bit of a head shaker, too. Like they didn't have the first clue at what can be encountered there , by way of livestock and native wildlife.

"pointless",.....ya' know, that's a better handle for you than some esoteric aircraft designator....

....suits ya'.

GTC

"Mister, you don't know a bull from your behind, and I seriously doubt you've ever shot or BUTCHERED one."

Wrong...steers and hogs, and shot in the head with a .22.

"The fact that the Two deputies only had 9mm handguns in their units or immediately available while working in that particular area's a bit of a head shaker, too. Like they didn't have the first clue at what can be encountered there , by way of livestock and native wildlife."

I think it quite likely they had some type of long gun in their squads, don't know.

The post I made, that you jumped on was regarding a bull shot in England with an MP5. Probably all they had, or had trained with, and they made do with what they had.

Guess they could have said, "Wait here Nigel, and cover him with that Bloody Unsuitable MP5 while I drive back and get the trusty .303."

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I don't much care about the advisability of trying to put down a bull with a 9mm pistol (although I think it's a dumb move).
I think there are two issues which affect people in the northwest. The first is, of course, the possibility of overreaction on the part of deputies which resulted in the killing of an innocent, law abiding, citizen.
The second issue is the danger posed by free ranging cattle on a major highway (and hwy 95 is a major highway by Idaho standards). Al though the owner of livestock has no obligation to do so, I think I would be inclined to try and make my cattle more visible if they were going to be on the road. A black cow on a black roaf, especially on a rainy night, might be on your hood before you see it. The owner is compensated but the driver can be killed and there is no compensation for that. Still, ranchers, generally speaking, do not want to lose cattle. As traffic levels increase, it may be time to re-visit the whole open range concept. Another point is, while locals are likely to be on the lookout, travellers passing through might be a little surprised to see cattle on the highway.
In a situation like this, I think it is a good idea to try and identify the root cause. In this case, the root causes may have been (a) cattle on the road or (b) inattentive driving. Of course, the police response, commencing at the time of Yantis' arrival at the scene, seems to be the cause of his death but if the bull had not been hit and the passengers in the car seriously injured, none of the rest of the tragedy would have occurred.
On another aspect: Reporters who reported this incident as a "shootout between armed rancher and police" should be taken out and flogged. There should at least be an effort made to report facts.
A question for those who live in the area: It is plain, from the photos, that the barn is right next to the highway; how far back is the house? Also, what is the usual response time for emergency responders? GD

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Little know fact from the Deliverance scene below:

[Linked Image]
Here, the Reynold's character (the one most relied on by the others for their initial survival) suffers a compound fracture.

The original script had him saying, "I ain't got time to bleed."
That line fell victim to a second rewrite.

Of course as we all know, Hollywood scriptwriters later recycled those words and they found legendary movie fame uttered by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard series.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Guess the bigger question Crossfire, is do you ever make a post where you don't insult or make unfounded assumptions about the person you disagree with?

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add

[Linked Image]
Here, the Reynold's character (the one most relied on by the others for their initial survival) suffers a compound fracture.

Of course as we all know, Hollywood scriptwriters later recycled those words and they found legendary movie fame uttered by Bruce Willis in the Die Hard series.

I thought that line was from The Bodies character in Predator?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add

Before he became a dick, Jesse uttered those words in Predator.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by add

Didn't Jesse Ventura say that line in Predator, too?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by greydog
I don't much care about the advisability of trying to put down a bull with a 9mm pistol (although I think it's a dumb move).
I think there are two issues which affect people in the northwest. The first is, of course, the possibility of overreaction on the part of deputies which resulted in the killing of an innocent, law abiding, citizen.
The second issue is the danger posed by free ranging cattle on a major highway (and hwy 95 is a major highway by Idaho standards). Al though the owner of livestock has no obligation to do so, I think I would be inclined to try and make my cattle more visible if they were going to be on the road. A black cow on a black roaf, especially on a rainy night, might be on your hood before you see it. The owner is compensated but the driver can be killed and there is no compensation for that. Still, ranchers, generally speaking, do not want to lose cattle. As traffic levels increase, it may be time to re-visit the whole open range concept. Another point is, while locals are likely to be on the lookout, travellers passing through might be a little surprised to see cattle on the highway.
In a situation like this, I think it is a good idea to try and identify the root cause. In this case, the root causes may have been (a) cattle on the road or (b) inattentive driving. Of course, the police response, commencing at the time of Yantis' arrival at the scene, seems to be the cause of his death but if the bull had not been hit and the passengers in the car seriously injured, none of the rest of the tragedy would have occurred.
On another aspect: Reporters who reported this incident as a "shootout between armed rancher and police" should be taken out and flogged. There should at least be an effort made to report facts.
A question for those who live in the area: It is plain, from the photos, that the barn is right next to the highway; how far back is the house? Also, what is the usual response time for emergency responders? GD

It's been years, but as I recall the road that's just below the Yantis Barn is the "New Highway" and all along that valley, lower down there are ( or were back in '93) vestiges of the original narrow track wagon and model A road evident.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by add

Didn't Jesse Ventura say that line in Predator, too?

proving that once you place people on ignore, you end up repeating the very same post from the previous 3 responses, because your a candy-ass...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I for one, have seen a Bull where the hide was too thick on his forehead for a .22 long rifle to penetrate, at point blank range, had to use a 30-30. I also saw a sow that was brought to us to butcher, the had been shot multiple times in the head with .22 shorts, and they finally killed her with a claw hammer. The shorts had penetrated the hide and fat and were against the skull. My cousin that worked for a long time at a packing house, on the kill floor, told of numerous times that the blank powered knocker would not stun a bull and they had to get the sledge back out. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by add

You want me to believe a guy that has Jack Black pole vaulting over a possum for an avatar, or, Detective John McClane?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by greydog

It's been years, but as I recall the road that's just below the Yantis Barn is the "New Highway" and all along that valley, lower down there are ( or were back in '93) vestiges of the original narrow track wagon and model A road evident.

GTC

It's a damn good road, lots of 65 MPH and that is a safe speed where posted.

Just more BS to wade thru.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I for one, have seen a Bull where the hide was too thick on his forehead for a .22 long rifle to penetrate

I haven't......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by add

You want me to believe a guy that has Jack Black pole vaulting over a possum for an avatar, or, Detective John McClane?

Trust me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The trick to killing any animal with a 22 is the angle of the skull, if the bulls nose is up the skull plate will cause the bullet to deflect up and under the hide, you need to shoot from an elevated height or throw a hand full of grain on the ground, then shoot when the bulls head goes down and the skull is perpendicular to the shooter, obviously this is not possible on a rainy night along the side of the road, in this case a shot from the side with a 22 will be just as effective.

I would much rather use a 22 than a 9 mm, but thats another story.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They make MP-5's in 22LR?.....

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 33 of 175 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 174 175

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.