Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have Jewell, Shilen, and Timney on various 700's.

The Jewell is great for a very light competition trigger, being able to adjust it externally is a very good feature (if you are a trigger tweaker). It has various safety/bolt release options - all at extra charge of course.

The Shilen has a narrow trigger shoe similar in width to the Jewell, however the two Shilen's I own both have sharp edges (think not rounded) on the trigger lever which I do not care for. The Shilen does not come with a safety lever/bolt release - it is an extra charge, or you can install a factory one off of an older Walker style trigger on it.

The Timney has a wider shoe and you will probably have to remove a slight amount of metal from the bottom edge of the trigger guard in order for it not to drag against it.
The Timney does come with safety/bolt release, also the safety is a sear blocking type - the way Remington should have done it in the first place and saved themselves a lot of money and bad press.

All adjusted easily to 1-1/2 lbs which is my preferred weight of pull.

Dollar-wise IMO the Timney is the way to go for a hunting rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tried to find a pic of a failed M98 bolt but this was the best that I could come up with.

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by RDFinn

She might be onto something...

[Linked Image]

I talked to Defiance about that action today, just because it's pretty cool. Much better looking than the Mausenfield action.

Mike Lee <mikeldefiancemachine.com>

Today at 3:02 PM

To taylorce1

Message body

Chad,

We ran into significant delays, but are very near to being in full production. What cartridge are you looking to build?

Mike Lee

Manager

Defiance Machine Inc.

mikeldefiancemachine.com

406-892-2322 (Office)

3881 MT Hwy 40 W

Columbia Falls, MT 59912

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 6:45 PM
To: Sales
Subject: CRF actions

Did the CRF actions ever make production, and if so what is the cost? I tried to locate them on your web page but I'm not finding them. I'm interested in one with the M70 style safety, bolt handle that fits Remington stocks, repeater with magazine, and BDL style bottom metal.

Thank you,

taylorce1

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
Just something to consider all around.. IIRC, NO firearms maker has had more trigger recalls and/or related issues than Remington.. It shouldn't happen, period.. That's all I'm sayin'...

As to the above pic (and I'm hearing similar tales more and more from owners even around here), here's what I'd suggest for those that want an extra level of security:

[Linked Image]

I've not tried a Shilen trigger yet - but need to do so soon..

That's the main reason I want to replace the triggers. However, I've never had a problem with a M700 trigger or bolt handle but I've probably only owned about 15 total over they years. If I'm truly worried about the bolt handle coming off, there are guys obviously that can fix that fear for me.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by RDFinn

She might be onto something...

[Linked Image]

I talked to Defiance about that action today, just because it's pretty cool. Much better looking than the Mausenfield action.

Mike Lee <mikeldefiancemachine.com>

Today at 3:02 PM

To taylorce1

Message body

Chad,

We ran into significant delays, but are very near to being in full production. What cartridge are you looking to build?

Mike Lee

Manager

Defiance Machine Inc.

mikeldefiancemachine.com

406-892-2322 (Office)

3881 MT Hwy 40 W

Columbia Falls, MT 59912

Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 6:45 PM
To: Sales
Subject: CRF actions

Did the CRF actions ever make production, and if so what is the cost? I tried to locate them on your web page but I'm not finding them. I'm interested in one with the M70 style safety, bolt handle that fits Remington stocks, repeater with magazine, and BDL style bottom metal.

Thank you,

taylorce1

I agree those mausenfields are not pleasing to the eyes.............

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The standard extractor that Defiance uses is the M-16 extractor. For the life of me, I can't understand why someone thinks they need something stronger than that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spoke with Norm a few days ago, and I'm under the impression that the 3 pos mod 70 type safety is available now in either CM or SS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just something to consider all around.. IIRC, NO firearms maker has had more trigger recalls and/or related issues than Remington.. It shouldn't happen, period.. That's all I'm sayin'...

The law of averages are not in favor of a company who has sold more than 5 times as many rifles than the others have too. Just sayin.......

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Originally Posted by Savage_99
[Linked Image]

As to the above pic (and I'm hearing similar tales more and more from owners even around here), here's what I'd suggest for those that want an extra level of security:

[Linked Image]

I’ve not tried a Shilen trigger yet - but need to do so soon..

Very nice job on the bolt handle...and shilen triggers are tough to beat at the price.

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would never waste my time drilling, tapping and screwing a bolt handle on when Dan Armstrong of www.accutig.com is in business.

In 25 years of building rifles and, several hundred or more Remingtons come through my shop, I've only ever had one bolt handle come off. It was a 700 handle that someone had silver soldered onto an XP-100 bolt to replace the "dogleg".

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a nickle Timney with safety set at 2.5lbs. I have been very pleased with it. Trigger shoe is wide though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I'm looking for a couple of triggers for my M700's and thinking the Timney 510 will fit the bill since these are hunting rifles I want to swap triggers on. Are there any triggers that are worth a look at as well that can be set in the 2-4lb range that aren't north of $150 each?

Also who has the best prices on triggers that'll offer military discount as i don't have any current cupons for the normal places? Had a guy on anothe claim he could get the 510's for $80 each, but when I asked if he'd be willing to sell me a couple for $95 each shipped he balked. Looks like about the best deal I can find is around $120 plus shipping on them. I gave $650 combined for both my ADL rifles and really don't want to pay over $300 for two triggers to replace the Xmarks.

Timney makes a thin shoe trigger too if you like their product.

http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/-Remington-700-w-Safety-and-THIN-Trigger-P71.aspx

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DocEd
I would never waste my time drilling, tapping and screwing a bolt handle on when Dan Armstrong of www.accutig.com is in business.

In 25 years of building rifles and, several hundred or more Remingtons come through my shop, I've only ever had one bolt handle come off. It was a 700 handle that someone had silver soldered onto an XP-100 bolt to replace the "dogleg".

Says accutig.com domain is for sale, so he may be out of business.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Try

http://www.accu-tig.com/

Plus, if your Rem 700 bolt is off-time, or if you just think the factory R700 handle is way overrated , Dan can correct it.

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Carbon12, thanks. I made a typo. I can't believe a young man like Dan would be giving up a great business like his.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (30Gibbs, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,687 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.