Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I won a 50% off coupon from Burris yesterday. I looked through their catalog and read some reviews. The only optic I am really interested in is their XTR II 5-25X50 SCR MOA scope. It's FFP, 34mm with elevation and windage turrets, zero stop and about 100 MOA of elevation travel. I'd like to hear from anyone that has owned and used it. Wanting to know how the brightness, clarity, turrets and tracking compare to other scopes in the same price range. It retails for $1,499 so I'm looking at spending $750 for this scope or trading/selling the certificate. Thanks for your input.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
BP-B2

B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wow! Hasn't anyone got any experience with this scope?

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The scope gets great reviews on Snipershide...you might check there.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can speak to the XTR II in 1.5-8 as I have one of these. The glass is really clear for the money and would best Leupold MKIV glass. I would put it close to Nighforce. I do notice some slight aberration on the edges. The turrets have somewhat of a cheap feel to them when running them unlike Leupold, Nightforce, S&B. I tracking, I'm still getting a feel for it and cannot give an honest estimate.

Lastly, the zero-stop I do not like at all. When zeroing and setting the stop, it will not allow you to set a couple clicks below zero. This is due to a stop pin at the zero mark.

I would consider buying again for the price as I do not think there is anything in its class for the money.

B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks. A friend in town had one I was able to check out. I figured for half price I couldn't go wrong. I ordered it yesterday.

Bob

IC B2

B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Burris came through with the scope very quickly. I received it in 5 days. It's a 34mm tube. I didn't have any 34mm rings on hand so had to wait on a set of Seekins to arrive. I got it mounted and shot it today for the first time.
[Linked Image]

The glass is clear and true color. I got the MOA version. It claims to have 100 MOA of travel on elevation. I got 96 MOA. It was probably because I had the zero stop set wrong. The clicks are easy to feel and see. Once I got it sighted in at a hundred yards I set the zero stop. As devnull mentioned above, it's a little different than some I have used. It stops exactly on zero. You can't go a single click past. I'll have to get used to that. It's plenty bright it was easy to see my bullet holes. Since it's FFP it was easy to get zeroed in a few rounds no matter what power I was set on.
[Linked Image]

I did the Bryan Litz "tall target test" at one hundred. I dialed 30 MOA and it tracked with no windage error and less that 0.2% elevation error. I then moved the target to 200 yards (the longest distance at this range) and shot another 5 shot group. Before each shot I dialed up and down 20+ MOA several times and then back to the zero stop. I did not look to see if it was zeroed, went only by feeling it hit the stop. It returned to zero well.
[Linked Image]

So far I'm very pleased with the new scope. I am going to a long range match in 2 weeks that should give it a good wringing out.

Bob

Last edited by Bobcape; 08/01/15.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bob, I just put the 4-20 on my new rig. Have only shot it 2 days, but am well pleased. I'm taking it to a LR shoot this wednesday, will know more then.....

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have had one of the Gen 1 G2b XTR IIs in 5-25 on my 243AI for about 9 months now. Coming from a couple of Vortexs....this thing is incredible.

The glass is great, and the turrets phenomenal. The Zero Stop is perfect, and easy to set along with zeroing the turrets themselves. The illumination, while rarely used, is perfectly done, in my opinion. If I had to pick a nit, it would be the 8mils per rev as opposed to 10, but the newer Gen 2 SCR models have remedied that. Overall, I could not be happier.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A friend has used a few of them, all on 338 Lapua guns at work. They were used for one LR course for a client. Don't know the round count but he said they were repeatable and had no issues. This may be the "SWFA SS Killer".

B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Bob, I just put the 4-20 on my new rig. Have only shot it 2 days, but am well pleased. I'm taking it to a LR shoot this wednesday, will know more then.....

[Linked Image]

I ended up going with the 4-20X also. Mainly because of weight and size. I'm not wild about the lens caps but pleased otherwise. Yours looks damn good on your RPR. Creedmor?

Bob

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yup. Ditch the caps for Aadland.....

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The caps arent great...but they havent broken yet, which makes them better than Butler Creek.

B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Don, how'd the XTR serve you at your LR shoot? Mine is next weekend in Broadwater, NE.

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
It worked great, once I got the zero stop set. Tracks well and repeatable, can't ask much more outta it.....

B
Bobcape Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My thoughts as well. I thought the way the zero stop works was going to take a bit to get used to. No problem. It's easy. Dial it until it hits the stop and you're there. No need to turn back 3 or 4 clicks.

This is my first FFP scope. I find it more useable at low power than I thought it would be. I'm happy with it.

Bob

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
How did it do?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
How did it do?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.