Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 30338
Nosler rifle in 28 Nosler for $1799 at the Scheels store in Lincoln. I'd probably just keep shooting my 7mm Remington with a long throat.

Yup. There's that.

Plus, RD already has a perfectly good 280AI and a nice 300 WM. Why even bother with a bigger 7mm?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RDFinn
It won't bother me to change out a mag box or follower.....I just don't want to be milling the action (opening feed rails) so that it becomes a permanent Ultra Mag action.

Then you may not want to do the 28 Nosler.

As per our PM, I'm sending you some 26 Nosler cases to see which actions will allow passage thru their rails. 28 and 26 Nosler, as you know, share the same case.

Bob makes a good point about the Mashburn being much easier to adapt to a std. mag. 700, no action alterations needed. But, you gotta form brass, whereas the 28 Nosler brass is high quality, ready to go, but very pricey.

I complained in the past about the price of Wby brass, even went to the trouble of converting fifty cent .25-06 brass to buck fifty .240 Wby. But now I have a 26 Nosler that uses two buck brass. Go figure that one...

DF

Edited to add, your 700 will become an Ultra Mag 700 after adaptation to the 28 Nosler, no way around it. Starting with an Ultra Mag donor is an option. I built a .404J using a M-70 Classic .300 RUM donor. That action would be a good candidate for the 28 Nosler with little or no action work needed. If it'll feed a RUM, it'll feed a Nosler. Same for an Ultra Mag 700 donor.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 11/10/15.
RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Nosler rifle in 28 Nosler for $1799 at the Scheels store in Lincoln. I'd probably just keep shooting my 7mm Remington with a long throat.

Yup. There's that.

Plus, RD already has a perfectly good 280AI and a nice 300 WM. Why even bother with a bigger 7mm?

Always being practical.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Friend just sent back a 48 26 Nosler rifle. Guaranteed 1" with factory loads, produced 4". Swapped scopes, no better. Tried handloads, gained a little but not much. Sometimes you cant win.

Back in 1990 when I first started using it, the STW was the easy way to go fast with a 7mm or 6 point five. Its still pretty darn easy.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Yup. There's that.

Always being practical.

laugh

You saying Bob needs to hang up his Loony credentials... blush

"Practical" and Loony don't necessarily go together... grin

That's almost as bad as the four letter word, "NEED".

Man I hate that word...

To me, it's like fingernails on a blackboard, terrible racket.

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
It won't bother me to change out a mag box or follower.....I just don't want to be milling the action (opening feed rails) so that it becomes a permanent Ultra Mag action.

My M-70 Magnum action will pass a 26 Nos round thru the rails without a problem. But, I've read that CRF can be harder to adapt than Push Feed.

I'd suggest a discussion with your smith.

DF

A magnum model 70 crf action will require a 300 rum follower and mag box, which is getting hard to find now.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

My M-70 Magnum action will pass a 26 Nos round thru the rails without a problem. But, I've read that CRF can be harder to adapt than Push Feed.

I'd suggest a discussion with your smith.

DF

A magnum model 70 crf action will require a 300 rum follower and mag box, which is getting hard to find now.

Brownell's doesn't have those parts?

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
No, they are old USRAC parts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Geez....I guess it IS easier and cheaper to get a Rem 700 in 7RM and punch it to Mashburn. No feeding/modifications to the action and cheaper brass to boot.

But about 100-150 fps less velocity...... cry cry

No wonder rifle people are crazy. smile

You can always buy the 7mm Mashburn Safariman has for sale.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
7mm STW and 28 Nosler are awful close.

Talked to McWhorter last week and he said they still build quite a few STWs, prob 2 of 5 of their customs are STWs. Wouldn't have thought the demand was that high since you don't hear about them that often anymore. Robert Gradous is very fond of the STW as well, hence my decision to build one recently.

STW brass is cheaper...

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
To kind of pile on...I've been seriously contemplating the 7 Mashburn and the 28 Nosler. I have a push feed M70 7mag with a loose spot in the bore. It shoots OK but I thought it would be a fine candidate. I also have a very nice 300Win M700 BDL, but it shoots good and I'd hate to permanently modify it if going to 28 Nosler.

So if I've understood correctly, my pushfeed M70 shouldn't need any modification to go to Mashburn or 28Nos? I'm thinking about a 27-28" tube with Light Palma or slightly lighter profile. I have a heavy laminated target stock I'm going to trim down a bit that should soak up recoil without a brake on the barrel.

I think I'm leaning towards the 7 Mash but need to look into die and reamer availability. I haven't looked too deep yet, but kind of see it being a wash between the cheaper brass but more costly and rare dies and reamer of the 7 Mash versus $2 brass but fairly available 28 Nosler dies and reamer, especially as more of them are built. Forming brass doesn't scare me. I haven't worked much with belted cases, is anyone needing to use those collet dies that size that last little bit before the belt? That would be an additional cost unless I built one myself.

I would consider that nice one Safariman has for sale but I can't seem to connect with him...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Push feed M-70's, IMO, are a real sleeper. If the rails are like my M-70 .375 H&H SS Classic, the Nosler cases will pass between the rails easily with room to spare. I'd use that action for a Nosler build, if that was my choice.

If a M-70 RUM box is hard to find, you can cut windows in that one for the same effect.

I've used the Larry Willis body die for belted mag cases and it does work. It has a go/no-go gauge to let you know if a case needs sizing.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I bought a stainless 700 sps rum with a rifle basics trigger in it for under $500. I have a 8.75" twist rock barrel on hand and 100 28 nosler brass. Now that hunting season is winding down I need to find a smith to chamber it.

I figure I'll save myself some extra work by just starting with a rum action. It's been pretty easy to find used ones around here.

Bb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gzig5
I haven't worked much with belted cases, is anyone needing to use those collet dies that size that last little bit before the belt? That would be an additional cost unless I built one myself.

I've had one for awhile, and have gotten some good use out of it. Having said that; almost all of the use was solving man-made and odd-ball problems.The main reason that I got it was I had a sizeable pile of .257 Weatherby brass that had been fired in a rifle I no longer had. Resizing it in a FL die wouldn't get it into my remaining .257. The Willis tool saved enough brass to pay for itself the first day. Other instances were a number of rifles that were cut with a non Saami reamer with a reduced base. In return for no discernible advantage, it opened up a situation where the chamber was smaller than typical reloading dies. The collet kept me in the game until I rechambered them in disgust. Another is chambers that are cut so disgustingly over size that when sizing there is a lot of brass that has to go somewhere, and it could go where a die won't reach. This is the principal use given in the dies promotion.

In regular, non oddball use a reloader can get along just fine without ever have even heard of the Willis die and never miss a beat. The situations where it is useful aren't particularly common, and for the most part you can ignore the belt.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I figure I'll save myself some extra work by just starting with a rum action.

Bb

Yep, for sure.

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Model70Guy
Originally Posted by gzig5
I haven't worked much with belted cases, is anyone needing to use those collet dies that size that last little bit before the belt? That would be an additional cost unless I built one myself.

I've had one for awhile, and have gotten some good use out of it. Having said that; almost all of the use was solving man-made and odd-ball problems.The main reason that I got it was I had a sizeable pile of .257 Weatherby brass that had been fired in a rifle I no longer had. Resizing it in a FL die wouldn't get it into my remaining .257. The Willis tool saved enough brass to pay for itself the first day. Other instances were a number of rifles that were cut with a non Saami reamer with a reduced base. In return for no discernible advantage, it opened up a situation where the chamber was smaller than typical reloading dies. The collet kept me in the game until I rechambered them in disgust. Another is chambers that are cut so disgustingly over size that when sizing there is a lot of brass that has to go somewhere, and it could go where a die won't reach. This is the principal use given in the dies promotion.

In regular, non oddball use a reloader can get along just fine without ever have even heard of the Willis die and never miss a beat. The situations where it is useful aren't particularly common, and for the most part you can ignore the belt.

I kinda figured it was like that. So far I haven't seen any issues with my 300 Win but I've picked up brass from the range that after sizing wouldn't go into my chamber easily. They had insanely flat primers though. Looking forward to playing with one of these two cartridges next year.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 300 WM case lubed up with some imperial sizeing die wax and one stoke into a 7mm Mashburn die is about all the case forming your going to need to do, to get a net shape case.
Its that simple.
I have never had a issue with sizing just ahead of the belt.At least not with my Mashburn.
If you have a problem with tight cases.A few .001s off the face of your shell holder will typically solve that problem allowing the case to go farther into the die
Redding sells shell holders in sets with different sizes just for that type of issue.
I run a load of H1000 and a 168 Berger classic hunting bullet.For deer.
It almost matches my bench guns for accuracy....
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I believe the Redding shell holder sets are in increments of how much less the case goes into the die.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Someone buys a RUM rifle based on hype and advertising, then finds out it's a lot more gun than he can handle, or imagined. He gets tired of paying a ransom for ammo, ends up selling a slightly used gun.

Should be some fairly good deals on the used gun market, at gun shows, on line, etc.

DF

RDFinn Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I see more than a few right here in the classified's.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
609 members (2003and2013, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.