Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Petro
We used to lease our small property out for cattle. I would see coyotes every year and gut piles would be gone overnight. You couldn't leave a deer overnight if you made a bad shot or lost the trail (luckily only happened once). I would hear them howl every night in the stand.

Three years ago I managed to get the family matriarch on board with letting the children use the property without cows screwing everything up.

We have gut piles for days now and I can't find a coyote on a trail camera. I can't explain it as just the cows because if they lived solely off calves people would be up in arms, but their presence seems to directly correlate to the availability of cattle, at least in my area (east of OKC).

Wild dogs (or at least "pets" not contained to their owner's property when not on a leash), now those are out of hand. They are aggressive and destructive and cause more harm to the quality of hunting that coyotes ever did.
Mice love cow manure for the feed left in it, as do birds. Without cattle, the mouse population drops and that's the coyote's main diet.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've heard of Yotes being around here for about 15 years or so. I never saw one until last year when I shot this buck with a muzzle loader. When the buck crashed into the woods the Yote ran to me and hung around long enough to reload. A month ago when I was bow hunting and I had one hanging around, but couldn't get a shot. Then about 2 weeks ago when I was heading out of the woods, I heard one.

I've heard about the hybrid with the red wolf. One of my guys showed me a picture just the other day.

Pappy, I killed this one right across the Potomac River from Loudoun County, VA.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last 10 years or so I worked, I drove all over Northern VA at night. I've seen 'yotes on neighborhood streets in Herndon and Ashburn as well as at Dulles Corners. I suspect the ones in the neighborhoods were cat hunting. The one in Ashburn was trotting down a sidewalk like he owned the place, which at 0300, he probably did. I once asked one of our cable techs if he ever saw them around and he said "Oh yeah".

I live in hope of gettng an opportunity like you had, but so far no dice. I do think that I see fewer foxes than I used to, and practically no rabbits except around my neighborhood.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
seen a lot of yotes on the trail cam pix this fall, and hear a bunch every morning and evening. More so than in previous years...

shot a couple in the last weeks...will likely sting several more over the next few weeks, deer season starts again in just over a week and we try to kill all that show up.

30/30 Ackley Improved, Hornady 150SST...
[Linked Image]

.25x30-30 Ackley, Barnes 80gr TTSX
[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My brother has been shooting coyotes from a plane with a shotgun. He says you can drive around for two weeks and not see a coyote, but get up in a plane and there is a coyote every square mile.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Petro
We used to lease our small property out for cattle. I would see coyotes every year and gut piles would be gone overnight. You couldn't leave a deer overnight if you made a bad shot or lost the trail (luckily only happened once). I would hear them howl every night in the stand.

Three years ago I managed to get the family matriarch on board with letting the children use the property without cows screwing everything up.

We have gut piles for days now and I can't find a coyote on a trail camera. I can't explain it as just the cows because if they lived solely off calves people would be up in arms, but their presence seems to directly correlate to the availability of cattle, at least in my area (east of OKC).

Wild dogs (or at least "pets" not contained to their owner's property when not on a leash), now those are out of hand. They are aggressive and destructive and cause more harm to the quality of hunting that coyotes ever did.
Mice love cow manure for the feed left in it, as do birds. Without cattle, the mouse population drops and that's the coyote's main diet.

NO WAY, all they eat are deer....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Strick9
Folks that don't think yotes catch, kill and eat both full grown deer and big Tom Turkeys just haven't studied the yote very much. I have volumes of files on the subject.

Yotes in density are a far greater threat to the wild turkey population than any other critter period. I have studied it not only with the state but with the NWTF.

During Wild Turkey nesting season the yotes will spread out and grid search for nests. Not only do they eat all the eggs but a broody hen turkey is an easy kill for them as well.

You would be remiss if you didn't complete your observations with the number of nest that are destroyed by opossums, raccoon, and fox. The opossum is probably the most efficient as far as locating and eating eggs. Fox and bobcat are ridiculously effective at catching poults.

Coyotes are effective at killing of that there is no doubt. If you truly want to work on coyotes, either learn to trap or find a trapper to work your lands.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot 3 coyotes this week off the newly cut bean field around the house. Young pups kicked out and trying to make a living on their own are sometimes pretty bold.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Speaking of foxes, coyotes, or whatever..
A couple weeks ago my partner shot a deer 3 miles from the truck. We skinned it and left it lying on the hide with the heart and liver right next to it. We spread 3 game bags over it and covered it with pine boughs for the night. The next day we came back with my llamas to pack it out.
1 of the game bags was pulled out from under the boughs and piled in a wad. The heart and liver were gone. Nothing else was touched, not even the nearby gut pile. We figured it probably a fox. The ground was too grassy to find tracks so it's a guess. I think a larger coyote would have eaten some meat, too.

I've been hunting for over 50 years and have had to leave game out overnight numerous times. This is the 1st time we've ever had anything happen to one. We've been lucky.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Interesting. Makes sense.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We were overrun with coyotes for several years. They were even so brazen as to kill fawns near the house. We would hear them every night. Last year a new federal trapper moved near us and has killed over 500 in the past year, not all around here. We rarely hear them and even more rarely see them anymore. We are seeing more fawns and more deer and turkey's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't think there was such a thing as a Federal trapper any more. Wonder if the Greenies know about that. Ought to make the blood squirt out of their beady little eyes!

Last edited by Pappy348; 11/14/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
They know about them, but it's nothing something they can stop. USDA trappers are used to protect the interest of the Feds. IE roads, and live stock.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
381 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 46 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,595
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.