Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mwarren Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Is anyone on the Forum using the Summit 2.5-10X40?

I am interested in this scope and would really appreciate any first hand feedback.

Thanks,

GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I own and use two Summits. One on a 30-06 and one on a 25-06. How can I help?

M
mwarren Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
That answers if you would buy another one.

What is your opinion on image quality, especially edge to edge? I've hunted with a Swarovski AV and that would be my reference for comparison.

Looking to scope another rifle Have you ever encountered any adjustment issues or zero hold issues?

Thanks,

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have one and like it. The image is great,no mechanical issues and they track very reliably.Eye relief is great at all powers. As a set-and-forget scope I like mine a lot.

Yes, I would buy another.

I have a Swaro AV in 2.5-10 here that is not mounted.I've been through the optical comparison drill of that scope and some others vs the Summit. The AV does not beat it.Seems to have shorter eye relief at max power than the Summit.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I love mine! The only issue I have ever heard that was negative is the reticle is fairly thin and I agree with that, but I did a test these this past week with mine and it seemed to pass. In my area we can shoot at 1/2 hour before sunrise and I tested one of my Summits two mornings to see how early I could see the reticle. Now I hunt in the deep woods where it is dark, if I hunted in more open areas the scope would have had even more time. Anyway I was able to see the reticle good enough to shot a deer, although the reticle was very hard to see, at exactly 1/2 hour before sunrise. Three minutes later the reticle was as sharp and clear as would be in mid day. So worst case this reticle works 27 minutes before sunrise, in the deep woods, with my 64 year old eyes. I think is works fine.

When I first purchase one of these I was blown away with the glass. It is very bright and sharp to the edge. But the best part was when I zeroed the rifle with it. I was use to Leupolds where when adjusted 4" it may go 3" or it may go 4 1/2". When I adjusted (as an example) 4" right and 5" up that is exactly where the bullet went, I had never had that happen before and it made me a believer in S&B. My second Summit tracks just as well. Both of them are on very accurate Cooper rifles. They also have maintained zero with some very rough treatment.

Would I purchase one of these again, yes I would if I wanted a scope that I would not be using for long range shooting (dialing or holdover with reticle). At the time I purchased these NIghtforce did not make a 2.5-10x42 like they do today, and if I wanted a scope that will go long range the Nightforce is what I would get. In fact I will be ordering one soon for a 260 rem I have.

Bottom line is if you don't dial for long range you will get no better than the S&B Summit in a 1" scope, if you want to dial get the NIghtforce although I understand the glass is not as good as the Summit, although I have never looked through one.

I have owned a Swarovski AV and the Summit is as good or better optically, with my eyes.

Hope this helps.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Bottom line is if you don't dial for long range ....

I had one but sold it. Bought it with the idea of retro-fitting it with an elevation turret but the hassle and money S&B wanted for that were not worth it so I sold the scope.

For that price point, I wanted a scope I could dial for long range. Just my opinion.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Agreed smoke.

Many less expensive models if you just want one that holds zero and has good glass.

To each his own though.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I had one that I got a deal on; but sold it. Resolution and low light performance were excellent, well built. Replaced it with a Diavari 2.5-10x42 and prefer it. I have a couple of Swaro AV's I like and would have a hard time justifying the significant upcharge for the Summit; IMHO.

M
mwarren Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I really appreciate the replies. I did want to ask about the reticle. I'm interested in the #7 reticle...that looks to be as close to the #4 reticle with my AV.

Are you using the #7 reticle? This scope would be going on a Mark 5 in 270wby. I have no interest in dialing and will be setting zero and then leaving that alone unless travel or accidental bump caused a need to adjust.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Both of mine are #7 reticles. Note that the actual reticle is not exactly like the picture in the S&B advertisements. The center section is somewhat larger than the German #4 and larger than what the S&B representation shows.

There are some pictures looking thru the Summits #7 on the web and I would suggest you do a google search and see if you can find one of those pictures, or actually look through one before buying.

I have no problem with mine, but some find the large/thin center section to be close to only having "fine crosshairs" when aiming. The heavy posts are to far away to help much with directing your eye to the center, especially in low light. As I said above it works for me just fine and my eyes are old and bad. The center section is good for finding moving game without having the posts in the way.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The thin wires of the duplex reticle in my Summit were too thin to be usable for my eyes so I sold it. Glass is fantastic, obviously.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The Swaro Z6, unless ordered with a heavier reticle, also suffers from the same malady

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I agree, jorgeI, on some of the newer Swaro reticles. I had a Z5, though a fine product in every other respect, had a reticle that was not functional at last light and sold it as well as a Z6. I actually preferred my PV4-16x50 w/ BR over the Z6.

To the O.P.; the Summit is a fine scope, but if you buy new be prepared to take a hit if you need to resell. Not many people will pay that premium, right or wrong, for a 1" scope. They only bring about $1100 on resale.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I love mine! The only issue I have ever heard that was negative is the reticle is fairly thin and I agree with that, but I did a test these this past week with mine and it seemed to pass. In my area we can shoot at 1/2 hour before sunrise and I tested one of my Summits two mornings to see how early I could see the reticle. Now I hunt in the deep woods where it is dark, if I hunted in more open areas the scope would have had even more time. Anyway I was able to see the reticle good enough to shot a deer, although the reticle was very hard to see, at exactly 1/2 hour before sunrise. Three minutes later the reticle was as sharp and clear as would be in mid day. So worst case this reticle works 27 minutes before sunrise, in the deep woods, with my 64 year old eyes. I think is works fine.

When I first purchase one of these I was blown away with the glass. It is very bright and sharp to the edge. But the best part was when I zeroed the rifle with it. I was use to Leupolds where when adjusted 4" it may go 3" or it may go 4 1/2". When I adjusted (as an example) 4" right and 5" up that is exactly where the bullet went, I had never had that happen before and it made me a believer in S&B. My second Summit tracks just as well. Both of them are on very accurate Cooper rifles. They also have maintained zero with some very rough treatment.

Would I purchase one of these again, yes I would if I wanted a scope that I would not be using for long range shooting (dialing or holdover with reticle). At the time I purchased these NIghtforce did not make a 2.5-10x42 like they do today, and if I wanted a scope that will go long range the Nightforce is what I would get. In fact I will be ordering one soon for a 260 rem I have.

Bottom line is if you don't dial for long range you will get no better than the S&B Summit in a 1" scope, if you want to dial get the NIghtforce although I understand the glass is not as good as the Summit, although I have never looked through one.

I have owned a Swarovski AV and the Summit is as good or better optically, with my eyes.

Hope this helps.

Good post and absolutely nothing to disagree with here. My experiences have been almost exactly the same.

My buddy and I aimed with the Summit down a Maine logging road a full 1/2 hour BEFORE legal shooting time (which is 1/2 hour before sunrise). We both could see to shoot and the reticle was still there.

I have lost the reticle...against a black background,at night. Never on a deer in any legal shooting light and I have counted coup on scores with a Summit.

The optics are better than NF. Most people today demand more gizmos on their scopes,to handle the long shots. Summit is not for them. I guess on my best day I could kill at only 400-500 yards with mine....but that's about all.

Anyway I'm taking mine to Kansas next week....despite the handicaps. smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/19/15.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bob,
Good luck in Kansas; my hunting partner just returned from bowhunting the rut there. Eight hunters took 5 huge deer that scored 137" - 161". Average of 149" for the group. Got to do that next year myself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck in Kansas, Bob!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hey Bob, hope the OP does not mind the thread jack but,
These pics from my friends recent Kansas trip ought to wet your appetite; scored 147 and 156"; 280-300lbs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cruiser1; 11/20/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Kimber thanks! I am really looking forward to this hunt!

Cruiser; Thanks for taking the time to post those beautiful bucks! They are both great!

My appetite is pumped up! grin

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
The thin wires of the duplex reticle in my Summit were too thin to be usable for my eyes so I sold it. Glass is fantastic, obviously.

What JGR said.

I actually prefer a Zeiss Diavari V and a few Kahles scopes.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
M
mwarren Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I don't mind the thread jack and appreciate those pics being posted. Those are nice bucks. Good luck on your hunt Bob.

That tip about looking at actual reticle images was very helpful. There is a definite difference between the actual reticle and the published image for the S&B #7. I didn't see any reason to deter me from the #7 reticle, but didn't realize the gap between the thick parts is as wide as it actually is...seems to me the #7 reticle would really help 'pick up' game fast. Has that been your experience.

Any experience with S&B customer service?

I've seen consistent complaints about Z5 and Z6 reticles being too thin.

I have no plans to dial the scope for this rifle. Prefer to set and leave it alone, but also don't want to worry about anything shifting.

Thanks again...the comments have been very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 50 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,329
Posts18,468,550
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.