Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel,

That's about what the AB's I've recovered look like too. I've had great luck with them.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Shrapnel,

That's about what the AB's I've recovered look like too. I've had great luck with them.

They are almost boringly consistent. Every time I see people post here about Accubond failures, I have to wonder what they are talking about.,.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shrapnel,

They are almost boringly consistent. Every time I see people post here about Accubond failures, I have to wonder what they are talking about.,.

On a couple of elk hunts, my partner was shooting the 160 gr. ABs from his 7MM Rem. Mag. and he swears those bullets changed direction after hitting the elk. He's one of those who does a serious autopsy to see how a bullet does it's job.
This last January, I shot my elk with a 165 gr. AB. The elk moved just as I shot and would have to swear I hit her too far back yet the bullet ended up in the left lung shredding it badly. The elk went maybe 30 feet and collapsed. It needed a finisher. Shot was at the most 100 yards.

On another note, this year I'm thinking of using a .280 Rem. or maybe a 7x57 for my elk hunt and was thinking the 150 gr. ABLR just might be the ticket as the velocity of either cartridge will for the most part be lower than the magnums. Still looking for accuracy I can live with. They seem to be quite finicky regarding seating depth, at least in my rifles. No matter. If I don't find a load, I have several other rifles more than willing to do the job.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There is basically nothing in common with the Accubonds and the Accubond Long Range other than they are both pedaled by Nosler- any similarity ends there.

The ABLR, the subject of the OPs question, are indeed very soft, the jackets very thin and with much neck tension, you will have varied seating depths and rings around the ogive from the seater.

The biggest concern I have with them is Noslers blatant inflation of the BCs. The 142 6.5 for example is more than .1 lower than published.

I suspect they will have very good terminal performance compared to most other bullets if they are slowed down enough.

If you want to shoot elk at 1200 yards, they may work well for you.

As for me, I gave all that I had away as they are a waste of powder as far as I am concerned.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

By Joe Met
from Prescott, AZ
About Me Enthusiast, Hunter
Site Member
Noslers G1 BC is incorrect for this bullet. It is way lower than advertised. I bought two boxes from Midway and sent them back.
BOTTOM LINE No, I would not recommend this to a friend

Was this review helpful? Yes / No - You may also flag this review

Dennisinaz, I would bet this is your review over at Midway USA wink

If you don't like them, don't use them but the whining here is over the top.......

Last edited by gerrygoat; 11/29/15.

Gerry.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not my review but I know who it is. I am not whining, I answered his query. I wouldn't use them on elk unless I knew the velocities would be low.

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've used them on elk and deer. Pounded one through a bull at 80 yards. Velocity wasn't low. Worked fine. That's better than a review on Midway by someone that didn't kill anything with them. mtmuley

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mtmuley
I've used them on elk and deer. Pounded one through a bull at 80 yards. Velocity wasn't low. Worked fine. That's better than a review on Midway by someone that didn't kill anything with them. mtmuley

Yeh, they are great bullets at 80 yards! crazy

NRA Benefactor Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Regular Accubonds are great elk bullets

I don't know how much more you could want from a bullet. These are 2 200 grain Accubonds from an elk at 660 yards from a 300 WBY...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is another 200 grain from an elk shot with a 300 Ultra mag at 200 yards. It appears to me that these bullets have worked consistantly at various velocities and yardages...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Right here is the answer to the question. Shoot ABLRs that are heavy-for-caliber and the problem is solved. I'll bet that they would be great at .308 velocities, also.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Had 2 clients kill bulls this year with my 26 Nosler running 140gr LRABs. It did the job and then some. The first bull was hit square in the middle of the shoulder at 350 yds. Bang Flop. The 2nd bull was classic behind the shoulder shot at 153. Bull went 30 yds and was dead. Bullet was found on under opposite side hide. Perfect mushroom.

Toby Joe

Last edited by TOBYJOETRUBY; 11/30/15.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
dennis, you stated they wouldn't work unless velocity was low. Smacked some deer with them too. Longest 350 and change. .300 RUM 3150 at the muzzle with the 210. Again, worked well. I do believe the regular 200 grain is a better bullet, near or far. I'm back to it. Bull this year at 580. mtmuley

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the record I much prefer the regular Accubond it will do everything I could ever want to do. I just think some guys are being pretty unrealistic when it comes to the ABLR in order to expand at extreme range it will have to be a bit soft at closer range, I bet we will hear the exact same things this time next year about the new Hornady ELD-X bullet. Honestly there is no real good reason for shooting at extreme range anyway other than inflating someone's ego. If you bag it you have to get to the animal anyway so why not cut the distance down before you shoot?

Gerry.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
gerrygoat, you sure do a lot of whining here.

Are you one of those half glass empty guys?

Don't like peoples observations
Don't like extreme shooting.
Worried people are going to complain about ELD-X bullets.

My reason for dumping the LRAB is inflated advertised BC's.

Why not cut the distance? Anyone who has done much hunting in a variety of terrain knows that sometimes that is just not plausible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope not one of those guys. Just tired of all the complaining that's all.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Must have been your review then lol. Regardless if it is or not my apologies for bringing it up. I'm curious what do you think the b.c. was and how did you come to that conclusion? Some say it is too high but others who have shot them say it is right on.

Gerry.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Must have been your review then lol.

In fact, it was! LOL! That is funny you would find that.

I've killed elk with the LRAB at short range it performed just fine. I have no issues with that other than
I think there are better bullets to use.

I tested the 6.5/142 and 28/175 out to 1,200 yds 5k ft. elevation using G1 they fell short literally.

It just bugged me that Nosler set my hopes up and then to find out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That would explain why you were ticked off lol smile

I also think there are better bullets like the regular Accubond which has become my favorite bullet. I only worked with the 129 gr ABLR in my 260 Rem and they performed well on deer and they were accurate. There are other bullets that can expand well even at 500-600+ yards like the Ballistic Tip and Accubond but are tougher up close. Anyway I'm glad we have lots of great choices these days so we all can find something that works for our style of hunting.

Gerry.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Skeezix
Is the Accubond Long Range too soft for tough shots on elk? I've been told that for elk, you need to treat them the same as Bergers and restrict your shots to close-to-broadside lung shots.

What about regular Accubonds and the Swift Sirocco? I was thinking of using one or the other of them on my hunt to WY in Sept 2016 in an area where the shots can be long. Rifles will be either a 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag. Was leaning towards 175 gr in 7mm and 190 or 200 gr in .300. Guide has told me he likes his hunters to use heavier bullets for the caliber.

Hell, I may just stick to Barnes TTSX. Have had good luck with those on everything from speed goats and on up.

Hard to beat a TTSX or LRX.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by mtmuley
dennis, you stated they wouldn't work unless velocity was low. Smacked some deer with them too. Longest 350 and change. .300 RUM 3150 at the muzzle with the 210. Again, worked well. I do believe the regular 200 grain is a better bullet, near or far. I'm back to it. Bull this year at 580. mtmuley

I did? Where??

I have never shot an animal with them. I hypothesized that they would work well at reduced velocities but I have no knowledge of how they work at high velocity. I think after seeing how some other soft bullets react that they would not work well on a shoulder at short ranges.

You shot a 210 grain bullet? I can't imagine a bullet that large not making it through into vitals and then some. I have only loaded the 142 6.5s and the 7mm version. These were extremely soft and jackets were easily distorted by seating pressure alone. There are better bullets for general hunting purposes. I don't know if there are better bullets for extremely low impact velocities. Like I said, probably a great bullet for 1200 shots in low wind. The regular AB is a better bullet for most of us.

NRA Benefactor Member

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OK, you said you would not use them on elk unless the velocities were low. Better? mtmuley

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,355
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.