Print Thread
Hop To
O
OJVZ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Doug has the Redfield at a special price. For the same money which would you consider to be the best scope between these 2. Would appreciate your response.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not a gunwriter or professional of any sort but from a user standpoint my vote goes to the redfield.

Enjoy the hunt while it lasts!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
While I almost have to agree with MarkFed as far as from a user standpoint, especially being able to get behind the Revolution quick, I think Leupold will tell you that since the last VX line update the VX1 SHOULD be optically superior as far as coatings and such.

John

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've always felt like my Redfield offered as much or more than a VX1 for less money.

However, our local gunshop has VX1 on sale for $169.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a couple of 2-7 Redfields and like them very much. A few weeks ago I wanted a lightweight 3-9X40 and was set to buy another Redfield. When I compared it side by side to the VX-1 the Leupold seemed a tad sharper to my eye. I also couldn't get that particular Redfield to focus perfectly, but I dialed the VX-1 in with no issue. I bought the VX-1 and like it quite a bit so far. YMMV.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not a professional by any stretch of the imagination, but to my eyes, they seem pretty much a wash. Go with the lower price. If they have the same price, flip a coin.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a 3-9 early on due to the good reports from a writer I trust and the good price. Mounted it on a Higgins Model 50. The adjustments seemed to take a while to settle in, but once zeroed, held okay.

They may or may not be as good as the VX-1, but the Leupold is better looking to my eyes. I've had two Vari-X-I scopes, a 2-7 shotgun and a 4-12X40 and bought a VX-1 2-7 ML scope for my Knight. The 2-7s took a lot of .308s, 12ga slugs and ML rounds without a peep. The 4-12 has been on at least three .308s and a .204, and I just mounted it on a .223. While sighting it in on the .223, the friction adjustments were spot on. I was going to replace it with something a bit better, but now I think I'll just ride for while.

So I guess my answer to your question is that the Redfield is okay, but if I can get the VX-1 for anywhere near the same money, that's the one I'll buy.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would always buy any Leupold with optics of VX-1 quality or better/higher in lieu of any current production Redfield. If the Leupold option was the Rifleman series I would buy on price.

I have 4 Redfield Revolution scopes, 2 of each 2-7x33 and 3-9x40, mounted on 2nd and 3rd tier rifles.

O
OJVZ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thank each of you who have responded. It is good to hear from those who have used these scopes.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have two Redfield Revolutions, and also a new VX3 on three of my rifles.

To my eyes, the Revolution beats the VX1, but is no better than the VX2.

Both have a lifetime warranty with Leupold, so even-steven there.

Note: you can't go wrong with how YOUR eyes see it, but here's mine from low to high:

VX1
Revolution
VX2
VX3

good luck!

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you believe the commercial for the Ruger American combo with the Readfield scope on it they say it's a 100% American made combo - including the scope LOL!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought both the Revolution and VX1 4x12x40 to compare and put on a 243. I ended up going with the VX1 because it seemed to have just a little better clarity than the Revolution and the power adjustment knob was more smooth. I also noticed the E/W adjustments on the VX1 seemed a little more positive in the adjustment and click. One of the pros I liked about the Revolution was the Accu-Range reticle over the VX1 LR Duplex. I really liked the center circle/small crosshair. I think you would be happy with either. For me the VX1 just edged out the Revolution. For what its worth, the specs on today's VX1 are almost identical to the VX II scope produced from 2001-2011. Glasswise, both have Multicoat 4 coating and 92% light transmission. Specwise very little difference. Here is a history chart of the Leupold scopes for you to compare.

[Linked Image]

Rick Grimes for Governor
"This isn't a democracy anymore"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by reelman
If you believe the commercial for the Ruger American combo with the Readfield scope on it they say it's a 100% American made combo - including the scope LOL!

FYI they just released this image showing their state-of-the-art tacticool erector facility in Beaverton..... laugh
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just worked with the revolution on a buddies gun. The corrections were so tight I thought I would break the scope.

There have been issues with that gun not holding zero very well so I assumed bedding... which I did... It may not have been that, it may well be the scope.

I'd take an L any day over this one.

Though for 299 I'd buy a conquest every last day... they are cheap enough not to pay for other stuff.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SWGAShooter
I bought both the Revolution and VX1 4x12x40 to compare and put on a 243. I ended up going with the VX1 because it seemed to have just a little better clarity than the Revolution and the power adjustment knob was more smooth. I also noticed the E/W adjustments on the VX1 seemed a little more positive in the adjustment and click. One of the pros I liked about the Revolution was the Accu-Range reticle over the VX1 LR Duplex. I really liked the center circle/small crosshair. I think you would be happy with either. For me the VX1 just edged out the Revolution. For what its worth, the specs on today's VX1 are almost identical to the VX II scope produced from 2001-2011. Glasswise, both have Multicoat 4 coating and 92% light transmission. Specwise very little difference. Here is a history chart of the Leupold scopes for you to compare.

[Linked Image]

That chart has several errors in it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have 3 Redfield Revolutions. Two are really good. One seems a bit less sharp . I noticed this when I was sighting all three guns in at the range , so, I did look at them side by side. Turning the back of the scope didn't do anything.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
FWIW a couple of months ago I was on the phone with Leupold customer service and asked the rep the same question.

He said they were made side by side with the VX-1 but stopped short of saying they were the same.

Then he said that the VX-1 glass was a better grade of glass than the Redfield but that the Redfield had slightly better coatings, which in effect made it a wash between the two.

I have 2 Redfields, and one VX-1 and I can't tell a difference in the ones that I have. The redfield adjustments are very mushy and not precise feeling, but they adjust and hold after I get them sighted in.

But in most cases they are priced the same and I would go for the VX-1 for the same money.

Bob.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
FWIW I have in hand both the VX-1 and Redfield Revolution 2-7x33s. There's just something sweet about the Redfield, it's easier to get behind. Resolution image etc seems about a wash.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
OJVZ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experience concerning these two scopes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,463 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.