Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
When you're tying down, there are never enough loops. I use about 3" of paracord per loop. Keep them big enough for any size of rope or stake you might have to use. You can sew on loops a foot apart all the way around if you want to. When you sew your own, you can get creative.

Oh yeah - don't go cheap on thread. Get the strongest stuff you can find. One of the big problems with low price imported clothes is that the threads break letting the seams come apart.

Got pics of your tarp? Using an industrial machine?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's just a 10x10 square with a bunch of paracord loops around it. Nothing fancy. You sure don't need an industial machine with silnylon. Just use a lot of pins because it's very slick. I made it to be a tarp, not a shelter. If someone wanted to make a fancier shelter, a little more time with the design could come up with about anything you want.

Here's a site that sells silnylon seconds at a much lower price. That's what I used and I can't see any problems at all.
SECONDS

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hilleberg is introducing a pretty cool tarp in January, I believe.

Ed T

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It's just a 10x10 square with a bunch of paracord loops around it. Nothing fancy. You sure don't need an industial machine with silnylon. Just use a lot of pins because it's very slick. I made it to be a tarp, not a shelter. If someone wanted to make a fancier shelter, a little more time with the design could come up with about anything you want.

Here's a site that sells silnylon seconds at a much lower price. That's what I used and I can't see any problems at all.
SECONDS

Regular sewing machine goes through the 550 easily enough? That's what I thought might necessitate an HD machine.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Silnylon is thinner than taffeta. It's 1.1 oz ripstop nylon. Any sewing machine will breeze through it. Just use a sharp needle. What's 550?

I've also made backpacks using heavy coated 5 oz. cordura. A regular machine will go through at least 4 layers of that, too.

― George Orwell

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
550 cord = paracord.
You've answered my question on the stitching. Thanks.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ok. The paracord isn't a problem as long as it will fit under the foot on your machine. It will on mine easily. It's pretty squishy so it should work on about any of them.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nearly 20 years ago I had a friend sew the tarp I have used the most for backpacking, an 8x10 flat sheet of kite cloth, also called spinnaker cloth. It was the lightest weight till sil-nylon came out. Never weighed it but am guessing under 8 oz. total and rolls to the size of a paper towel core.

I would make it at least 9x12 if doing it again.

For a solo bivvy I have considered carrying one uncut and unsewn piece of fabric. 60 inch wide would be minimum, 8 or nine feet long. If you could find 72 inch wide fabric it would be better. Melt the cut edges to stop fraying and either sew in some ties or put in some lightweight grommets. My Golite poncho serves that role for me now.

Do you want a minimalist tarp or a larger one with more coverage and creature comfort?

I have designed a flat tarp with ties to convert it from flat to enclosed to the ground all around. Never sewed it and am less likely to now. I anticipate that Seek Outside will offer something similar one of these days, grin a natural progression.

Pilgs Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Do you want a minimalist tarp or a larger one with more coverage and creature comfort?

Right now I'm looking more for something that will provide some additional shelter. Not necessarily a tarp/tent to be the only shelter for sleeping/camping, but just something that I can put up to get out of the elements when I'm away from camp.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Check out the Seek Outside, Beyond Timberline-2 (BT2).

It's not the lightest compared to a square tarp. But for a 25 ounce canopy, you can pitch it in 'open' ways, or button it up tight as a tipi, and fend severe weather.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For something to just hunker down in for a short time, how about one of these emergency bivy bags? They weigh almost nothing and sell for under $20. There are other similar brands, too.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've tied a mini-tarp to stunted trees and rocks to hunker under while waiting out a rain squall and glassing, the same tarp I carry for minimal bivvy. A flat tarp is usually more versatile for such applications. My son often cuts open a large plastic trash bag to use as such a shelter. He's a hero to his mother for doing that on an afternoon hike when they got caught in a rain squall.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For something to just hunker down in for a short time, how about one of these emergency bivy bags? They weigh almost nothing and sell for under $20. There are other similar brands, too.

[Linked Image]

They make a breathable one, that I've not used. The non-breathable one...is not so great.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

675 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,098 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.