Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A young friend was showing me his new Dodge pickup when another old-timer and I got to discussing how in our day, a Dodge truck in Canada was called a Fargo,

There were several other different names for auto brands...can you help me out?

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
There were no Chevy half-tons--they were all GMC's
Pontiac Catalina's were Pariseians

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There were ford and mercury trucks, but mercury had their own line of cars. (cougars being one example)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Fargo name dates back to before Chrysler took over Dodge Bros. It was their truck name, but it was short lived. The Fargo was then used in Canada as the truck name for Plymouth dealers. Dodge dealers used Dodge. Fargo was also used as an export truck name.

I'm having a hard time using Ram, a name used most often for a Dodge engine. My pickup is a Dodge

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I once owned a 1969 Fargo half-ton
318 c.i. engine, auto transmission, bucket seats. No power steering or brakes. It was chore to stay at a safe speed down a long bush road hill.
Great truck. It got 16 mpg uphill, downhill, loaded, empty, with the wind, against the wind..........didn't matter.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kkahmann

Maybe in your part of the country. Chev 1/2 tons were as common as could be in Canada.

An old friend of mine managed to find a Plymouth truck from the 30's or 40's.

Lots of Fargo trucks, Mercury, and GMC as well. Maple Leaf trucks were also made by GM.

Some of the hottest trucks in the 50's were the old Dodge and Fargo one tons with the old hemi. In the early 60's, the big Dodge and Fargo trucks could be had with IH gas engines.

The trucks in the 50's and 60's had character. All the big trucks were "character builders".

If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Our old Fargo was not the best 'winter starter', if you walked past it holding an ice cream cone in summer it needed a boost to start...

R
RR Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I had a 1950 1 ton Ugliest truck I ever owned

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
when the Chrysler corp or their owners [can't remember name ] bought the FORD [Sterling line ,large trucks they brought out the Sterling pickup which was a dodge with a different name]

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I remember a lot of Fargo farm trucks, as well as Internationals (or "Trash n' Oils" as my grandfather called them).

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

If my memory has not gone out the window Chevrolet had the 1/2 ton, but if you wanted bigger you had to go to GMC. GMC was the heavy division. They built the heavy duty pickups and trucks, where Chevy built cars and the 1/2 ton pickup which was actually built by GMC and badged Chevrolet.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The auto divisions acted like their own companies. I remember seeing Chevy concrete tandem trucks, with independent front suspension. GMC wouldn't be that goofy.

Daimler bought Freightliner and others, they also owned Chrysler at the time.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by BluMtn

If my memory has not gone out the window Chevrolet had the 1/2 ton, but if you wanted bigger you had to go to GMC. GMC was the heavy division. They built the heavy duty pickups and trucks, where Chevy built cars and the 1/2 ton pickup which was actually built by GMC and badged Chevrolet.

In 1959 & 1960, I worked summers on a dairy farm and the farm truck was a 1949 chevy 3 ton (or 5 ton, I don't remember), so I'm sure chevy was making more than 1/2 tons.

Patrick

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die,
I want to go where they went."
Will Rogers

And on the 8th day, God created the Border Collie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
The auto divisions acted like their own companies. I remember seeing Chevy concrete tandem trucks, with independent front suspension. GMC wouldn't be that goofy.

others would be Western Star and Fords Sterling line

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2

My friend's Dad owned a big old #80 twin screw concrete mixer with a 348 and independent front suspension. Somehow, I don't think that old truck would have passed a safety in this day and age.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Chevrolet definitely made trucks bigger than 1/2 ton. Most of the big old GM road tractors I remember as a kid were GMC, though. Some of the old trucks on the road when I was a kid were dripping with character. I remember seeing a truck at our local ESSO that had an Allis Chalmers engine.

Last edited by kjohn; 02/19/16.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Didn't Studebaker make a pickup of sorts way back?

Dad had a 1956 Fargo step side with a hardwood floor in the bed.
Also had a 63 GMC with a three on the tree .... Just a half ton

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,104
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.