Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I was recently in Fort Benton, Montana on the Upper Missouri River. I talked to a local Rancher who was really upset by the fact that one of his bottoms had burned. Burned bad enough to kill all the very large cottonwood trees.

How long does it take a bottom to recover from this? I realize the large trees will take many years (maybe hundreds?). What consequences for the local ecology? How long before some underbrush returns? How bad is it for the game populations? Deer and Pheasents?

BP-B2

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kkahmann
How long before some underbrush returns? How bad is it for the game populations? Deer and Pheasents?

Brush will be back in the spring.

Game will follow.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Cottonwood are a pioneer species and will regenerate pretty quick. Aspen fireweed and many other important plants will also be coming up this spring. The nutritional value of his "bottom" will be increased significantly because of the fire.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but shade and cover will suck for a while....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, for a minute there I thought Cottonwood had injured himself.

Will regenerate before you know it.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Is he sure that all of the large cottonwoods are actually dead? He might be surprised next spring.

Around here cottonwoods can get pretty big in 30-40 years and they are tough to kill off.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
K
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I live in the Boreal forest of Northwestern Ontario--it is a fire-driven ecology. I've seen some catistrophic burns that burned to bald rock. They might stay black for a few years but eventually they too green up and then get thick as a jungle. Good for fur and game. A lot of big Pine and Spruce die and then lodge in the wind over the course of years. Seems a few big pines always survive too.

I think the guy was lamenting the loss of his big cottonwoods--they're all dead. He showed me a bottom that was still black and had burned a couple of years ago. All the large cottonwood were dead and bark starting to peel--looks like they would eventually come down from the wind if not from flood first. Surely those bottoms must see floods from time to time.

Even the bottom that burned last Summer had some grass and was full of deer--both whitetails and muleys and I saw a couple of Sharptails and hundreds of pheasents.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Cottonwoods - just add water and wait awhile.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, the cotton woods will return. Just don't be standing over one when the root sprouts appear.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Generally, most trees of that Genus sprout vigorously after a fire.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes, the cotton woods will return. Just don't be standing over one when the root sprouts appear.

Lol. Very true

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 17CalFan, 16Racing, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,701 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,620
Posts18,398,530
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.