-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
tons of topics on these scopes here the last few weeks. I bought my first one and recently got it. There are many that tout the praise of these scopes as the second coming or something. my purpose is to inform everyone of what to expect. I bought a 20x model with MOA adjustment and mil dot reticle. I normally don't buy fixed x scopes but in this case all I wanted was a higher power scope for load development that can be moved from rifle to rifle as needed. this sounded like just the ticket.

When I got the scope and check it out. The first thing naturally is lets crank the turrets. upon doing so I was like yuckaaa. Honestly when I first grabbed the scope and twisted the turrets I actually thought the jamb nuts were loose and were slipping on the erector stub. It was that bad! So I took off the knobs and resnugged the jamb nuts. They have a packed in grease type feel once you get them spinning, but if you stop and leave them They have an annoying sticky spot just as you try to move them. The funny thing is it took some doing just to get the turret to adjust to an exact click I wanted because it would stick I would go past where I wanted them it would stick again and I would again pass where I wanted the scope set. It was like I was going back and forth just trying to get the turret set to an exact spot. I am thinking to myself a $40 barska has way better turret feel than these. Doing some looking around I found people claiming that a little break in was in order. to get the grease to spread around. So that is what I did I spent probably 15 minutes cranking both turrets. The elevation feels ALOT better but I still have that annoying stickyness on the windage right when you first get the turret moving. I also find that the turret sometimes stops kinda inbetween marks and needs a slight amount of help to stop on the exact mark sometimes.

I also feel that the turrets spin pretty easy. The problem with that is there is no chance of the windage turret NOT spinning if this scope was to be used and hunted with alot. Same with the elevation. The turrets would be super easy to bump off adjustment.

So OK for what I paid its still not a show stopper for me. its a load development scope, but if the other scopes in the SS line are like mine and I was trying to use the scope for something else. it would be an issue for me. This is further example of why a capped windage turret would really help this scope, IMO I am surprised others haven't demanded it. so if you get yours and the adjustments feel like crap. give them a good work out and it will help

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A capped windage adjustment was the only thing being considered to my knowledge. To me, when you have a reticle like the MilQuad or even a MD reticle, why even have a windage turret ? But what do I know.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
capped windage should be standard on ALL scope these days. NOONE is shooting serious long range with a duplex reticle. heck it could even be made capped and really low profile. So should a shooter for some reason still want to dial in the windage they still could. Never a need for big honkin knobs on the windage. I would think the tactical crowd would support this change too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most turrets are needlessly high, and threading for caps is not rocket science.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree. For me the elevation turret like the one on the Bushnell LRHS is absolutely perfect. Pat and George nailed that one.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
cummings,

No one that has a clue has suggested that the 20x (or 16x) is worth a flip. The 12x is still too much. As well it has been stated multiple times that the mil turrets are better feeling than the MOA turrets.

'Course you don't listen to anyone anyways.....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
form, did you read my intended use of the scope? 20x is going to work great for my load testing. this scope will be pretty much only shot at the range. I haven't heard anyone say the mil turrets feel better. I guess I know now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I've been following the various SS threads well enough to have picked up the 6's and 10's get all the praise, and a stay away posting on greater magnification.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The 16x and 20x suck. For all purposes. That can also be said for just about ALL high magnification fixed power scopes with 40mm'ish objectives.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a few leupold, b&l, and weaver 36's that disagree with you. There is a market for these scopes, and it certainly isn't because they suck for ALL purposes.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A good friend shooting some 750 amax's at 1200+. Sure didn't seem to suck. (20x SS)

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The 16x and 20x suck. For all purposes. That can also be said for just about ALL high magnification fixed power scopes with 40mm'ish objectives.

My 16x is ok for full daylight bench work, but pretty much sucks for anything else. VERY difficult scope to get behind. The turrets rock though... 'course they are in mils...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
When I get a new scope I like to twist the turrets from stop to stop at least 10 times or so, just to spread out the grease.

If your O-rings are dry, they might grab a little. A little bit of silicone grease is the cure.

As already mentioned, the moa scopes don't 'feel' as good on the clicks, because there are more clicks per rev (60 clicks per rev, vs 50 clicks per rev on the mil models). The mil models have more space between.

I picked up a couple 12's a couple years back, and think they are great long range scopes.

Sold my old 16X and replaced it with a 10XMQ that arrived today. This new 10X seems solid, and I just mounted it up. Snowing too heavy here today for any long range shooting.

My old 16X was an MOA scope, and the clicks did feel a little softer. I never had trouble with it moving on it's own though.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I found that my 6x and 10x were both in need of a good twist to get the clicks to engage positively. they are the MOA version but they have held zero fine on my 243 and 22-250 for the price they are a good value but certainly not the end all of optics.

My M4's in every way are better the only hang is they are double the price of the fixed ss. How ever the variables ss offers are close to the m4 prices.

Optics are like women some guys have lower standards than others.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had the 20x MOA several years back. Couldn't resist the temptation of higher magnification. It was dim as one would expect, and my least favorite SWFA by a mile.

My MQ scopes definitely have better feeling turrets than the MOA scope I had. The MOA had the stick-slip feel that you mention. I think it's been discussed ad-nauseum at different sites.

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/10/15.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Are the adjustment mechanisms completely different on the 16x & 20x, than on the 6x & 10x? Or is formidilosus' comment a non-sequitur?

My experience with my 10x matches almost exactly with the OP's. I had it on 2 or 3 different rifles, and shot it in tactical/precision matches. I finally sold it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The adjustments on the fixed x mil versions are the same and are quite good. I don't have a MOA version, but from many accounts, the turrets on those don't feel as crisp as the mil versions.

The adjustments on the 6x, 10x, and 16x that I have, or have had, have all been superb.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I got my first tactical style scpope this morning and mounted it on a ruger mk II in 260. It is a SS 10X MQ. I put forty rounds through the rifle today.

My thoughts are mixed. I appreciate the greater X's of my 6-18 Trophy, and my 6.5-20 Viper for seeing crosshairs move on the target while sqeezing a trigger.

Those big, tall turrets certainly will not slide into a saddle scabbard. For hunting, I will carry a 3-9x40 or a 4-12x42 in the scabbard.

In forty years I have not needed more than a duplex reticle to kill big game to 400 yds with a 300 yd zero. I do not see my habits changing in that regard.

The adjustments on the SS are very precise and exactly repeatable. The scope is truly capable of a one shot sight in. At $260 including rings and scope level, it was an incredible bargain!

I may have to put a rifle together to put it on, and learn a new shooting game instead of just hunting.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would buy 3 or 4 with a low profile windage turret. Really would prefer it not be capped.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,284 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,301
Posts18,468,064
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.