Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Good morning to all around the Campfire. Up early, but not to go hunting this morning. Coffee is on, fire is going, and I'm listening to rain on the roof and thankful for another family deer adventure that turned out even better than I had hoped.

Our deer season got off to a slow start this year as I was gone the first four days of the season with students at a National Science Teachers Association convention in Kansas City, so Sunday was our first day out. My wife and I divided up and hunted with Grace and Layne in different spots. The morning hunt found Grace and I overlooking one of our favorite spots, but we didn't see any deer.
[Linked Image]

Our evening hunt was spent overlooking a pretty area of sandhill country, but once again, the deer weren't cooperating. Temps in the 60's weren't helping any, I'm sure.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

No luck for me after school on Monday, but a short hunt Tuesday evening produced this small 7-pt. for the freezer. This one and an 8-pt that was a little bit bigger came out 250 yards down the tree row I was in, but livestock and a farm house in the background made it a no-shoot situation until the deer moved. They slowly started to move my way and this one finally gave me the chance to put some meat in the freezer.
[Linked Image]

Friday I took time off to spend the day with Layne and we started it watching out over the same draw Grace and I watched last Sunday. We ended up seeing a small 4-pt buck at 8:45 am that came up out of the draw, but he didn't give us a shot. About 30 min. after that a very nice 8-pt buck came walking in at the very bottom of the draw and stepped into a small opening, but was facing us head-on at 150 yards and was down below us, so not a very good shot. He stayed like that for maybe 15-30 seconds at most. Layne was on him waiting for him to turn just a bit, but instead he put his head down and walked straight towards us, so all we would have had to shoot at was the top of his neck and back until he disappeared in the trees below us. Darn it.... Layne was disappointed to not get a shot, but very excited to see him and know he is there. We stayed a while to see if he would show again, but didn't see him, so I'm sure he bedded in the draw for the day. We backed out quietly hoping we might cross paths with him again this weekend. An evening hunt produced no deer sightings for me and a nice nap for Layne.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 12/12/15.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
With the weather forecast for rain moving in for the weekend, Saturday morning was going to be our only hunt of the weekend, so we were hoping both Grace and Layne might get a chance...and things could not have worked out any better! Grace made a nice 100 yd. shot on this big doe (7mm-08 with 120 gr. BT - reduced recoil load of 25.0 gr. IMR 4759). There was a button buck with this doe, so once the doe was down Kelley filled her antlerless tag, too.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Meanwhile, Layne and I were 1/2 mile away watching our draw for HIS buck again. We had two does come in across the draw and Layne decided he was ok with a doe for the freezer. He was lining up for a broadside shot when the doe decided she had other plans and dropped down into the draw. Layne was disappointed, but I told him there were still deer around and our hunt wasn't over. About 15 minutes later we caught movement behind the trees across the draw...it was HIS buck! After about five anxious minutes it finally gave us a broadside chance at 165 yards. Layne was ready and harvested his second whitetail buck in two years! (Rem. 700 Varmint in 6mm Rem. shooting a 90 gr. Accubond - 40.0 gr. H380) In a bit of what felt like deja vu, Layne's buck dropped about 20 yards from where I got my buck last year, so we were then facing a similar drag back to the truck.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 12/12/15.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image][/URL]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After getting the buck back to our gear I stopped to wish Layne an early Merry Christmas...the rifle he has been practicing with and just used to take this buck is now his. I bought it as a project rifle as the stock has beautiful grain, but it needs to be refinished, so we will work on it together this winter. I added a new Buck knife because all deer hunters need a good knife, too.

[Linked Image]

Last night Layne put his new knife to use as both he and Grace helped Kelley and I get my deer in the freezer. Layne is now counting down as the first batch of jerky will be ready by breakfast tomorrow. smile
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Busy week ahead to get these three deer in the freezer, then we will get back out in January during our antlerless season. I have two young men (a current student and a former student) who have not deer hunted before that would like to get out, so we will get some practice in over Christmas break and see if we can get them their first deer.

I'm blessed to have a family that enjoys all of this with me and we are thankful for the landowners who let us get out and enjoy time in the field together. There will be burger and jerky headed their way this week as a thank you.

I'm glad to have the chance to connect and share the fun with all of you here, too. Best wishes to all of you for a Merrry Christmas!

Dan

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 12/13/15.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Outstanding, well done!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Getting the kids involved start to finish...EXCELLENT!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congratulations all the way around

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dan,
You're very blessed. And I'm jealous of Layne's 6mm!

Sounds like you might need to ask santa for a bigger freezer. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
great story and pictures, thanks for sharing.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very fine!!

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan,
Wonderful post - I look forward to this one showing each year. Looks like this year was another great one, congrats to you and your family!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
great hunt , congrats!!

Ed

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Congratulations all the way around!!!!!!

Molan Labe
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
A most excellent story of your family adventures. Many thanks for sharing them with us!!

Congrats to you all and have a Merry Christmas!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You all did very well the past couple days. Good Job!

Looks like another visit to the taxidermist with a very nice looking buck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats to you and your family. The pics and the story is one of the best family hunt stories I have read on this site.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story and pictures...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Great thread Dan! Nicely done by all!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks, guys. I will pass your congratulations on to the kids.

SKane, I am hoping Layne will still let me shoot his 6mm once in a while. It really is a nice-shooting rifle!

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Simply outstanding.

Thanks for sharing bud.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 257 roberts, 2UP, 44mc, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,710
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.