Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Made in China? Is that just the platinums or did BPI outsource the whole line? All my packs of 348s and 405s are marked "Made in USA". I still have several packs of Black Belts from the original company Big Bore Express.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everytime some one told me they lost or had a extended tracking of game I would ask. "Were you using powerbelts?" The answer was always "How did you know?" Where there is smoke there is fire....they are made in CHINA. Do literary research and you will find lots of powerbelt performance issues. Study Sectional Densities and ballistic coefficients. Understand jacketed versus plated. It is my opinion and mine only. Judge 4 your self.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Do literary research and you will find lots of powerbelt performance issues. Study Sectional Densities and ballistic coefficients. Understand jacketed versus plated. It is my opinion and mine only. Judge 4 your self.

I have judged for myself, and I don't base my opinion on "research," SDs, BCs, or third-hand stories about unrecovered animals. I base my opinion on dead animals I've shot. Nine or ten elk and three mule deer. None got away. Saddlesore's probably killed more.

Concerning yourself with the BC of a 400 grain 50 caliber hunk of lead is ridiculous.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

This is what happens when posters knock the entire Powerbelt lineup and all the various bullet weights.

It's called Ignorance! It's called Stupidity .. in thinking that the larger Powerbelt Coppers, Aerolites and Platinums all need to be avoided.

Well guess what? I haven't even used a Powerbelt for hunting in over 15 years and I'm smarter than that.

I'm also smarter in noting that we are dealing with the best selling ML bullet on our planet and if one million people complain, that's because 10-20 times that amount purchased them, ever since their first presence on the market over 20 years ago.

If the product was a failure, they wouldn't be #1 on the market, or even #10 on the market, year-after-year. They would probably be out of business.

OMG to some of you. Sure a Powerbelt failure happens here and there. It happens with all makes and models. But because the Powerbelt numbers sold are so large, it makes it seem that the product is a failure because the complaint numbers are large too.

.... and don't compare this product to a sabot. It's a conical and must be reviewed against other conicals...... not sabots.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
One thing I have found over many years is that when someone cries bullet failure, it usually ends up being caused by poor bullet placement by the trigger puller

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gather wood where you may.... we all feed the same fire. Merry Christmas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like I first said in my intial post is I think the heavier Chinese projectiles should work better than the initial inexpensive ones my buddies flung at elk. I also think the Hornady fpb conical is more attractive in it is truly jacketed made in the USA and uses a metallic cup as a gas seal. I am skeptical of Chinese plastic performing as a consistent gas seal when Temps get to near zero degrees farenheit. The fpb are offered in 300 and 350. The terminal ballistic appearance in gel is quite striking compared to the Chinese plastic skirts. Check it out. Even this post shows the Chinese slug did very little morphological change going through the cow elks abdomen. Almost like a round ball. The no excuses conical are offered in a minimum of 460 grains. They are guaranteed to perform or your money back. They are custom hardened lead. They blow holes through cervidae at a multitude of distances and angles. They are easy to load. Just my opinions and observations. The fbps seem to like blackhorn powder and hold point of impact with a clean bore. The no excuses seem to need a fouled barrel.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/15/15.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, that answers my question. You are quite comfortable giving advice on products you have no experience with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep smoke pole you got me pegged. I like my boolits made in the USA. I also prefer to troll in a boat.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Where did you get the information that they're being made offshore? Not necessarily doubting you as I wouldn't put it past those BPI bastids and that'd be just one more reason to hate em. The only information I can find is that they're still made in your home state and the dozen or so packs I have are marked as such, albeit they're a few years old.

From their website:
"PowerBelt Bullets are now proudly manufactured in Nampa, Idaho. Over the years, the PowerBelt factory has grown from just a few friends working in a garage operation to a work force of more than 30 full-time employees housed in a state-of-the-art manufacturing facility, using the latest modern production equipment and technologies."

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It must be the jacketed bullets that are made in China.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4463400 Dicks sporting goods states product of china. I dunno. Don't use em... don't like em...won't recommend em.

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/15/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com/index.htm This is what I use and recommend.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't use em... don't like em...won't recommend em.

Now we're making some progress. I wouldn't make a recommendation on a product I'd never used either.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Common theme on 24 hour campfire. I never have used them,but. I never hunted elk,but etc etc etc.

Before I started using PB's, I killed elk with pure lead,home cast, maxiballs.Never had a problem with them either

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The more "primitive" you go with your choice of weapon, the more it's the Indian, not the arrow.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
LOVE the 300gr Aerolite powerbelt! It hits with authority!

This doe was shot from 35 yards with full exit wound along with 3 more small exit wounds from broken ribs.
[Linked Image]

Now this is the real jewel of the 300gr Aerolites true performance!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ADcThW6pD4

I tested out the 338gr powerbelt platinum this year with a 70 yard shot to this tiny horned buck. Perfect performance inside and out and the buck dropped on the spot.
[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry Smoke Pole but made in China ain't getting stuffed down my tube anytime soon,

To clear up any confusion I sent an inquiry to Powerbelt asking whether any of their bullets are being made in China. The response I received is below.

"PowerBelt Bullets
December 17 at 3:53pm

Tom, our bullets are made in our manufacturing facility in Nampa, Idaho. That's about as far from China as you can get. -Taylor
"

Charter Member

szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you want to shoot more then 100gns of any powder then don't shoot powerbelts. anything 100gns or less you will be fine. i shoot the 295 hp in my triumph with 100grns of blackhorn 209.i've used pyrodex,777,and shockey's gold without any problems. me and 5 of my buddies have killed hundreds of deer over the years with these bullets.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Let's see, "jacketed" bullets, made in China. Still batting 1000.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
122 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 877 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.