Brad, great job!

And, GREAT bull!

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The next time Brad beds a rifle, we ought to get him to shoot a video and post it on u tube.
Merry Christmas to everyone.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 12/14/15.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Brad,

You bed the "shank or full chamber" area.

What about on a Winchester Featherweight contour barrel? Do you still bed the chamber area, or some other amount?

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Brad

Once you get done with all of your set up steps, do you find your rifles hold zero better than an out of the box set up?

Deep, can't really say as I think I've only ever shot one Kimber (a 308) without fully bedding it. That rifle shot great, but most 308's do!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Brad,

You bed the "shank or full chamber" area.

What about on a Winchester Featherweight contour barrel? Do you still bed the chamber area, or some other amount?

DD, on the featherweight I generally will bed to the base of the cartridge shoulder.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Travis, what happens in Havre, stays in Havre.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sammer, you know how meticulous I am... can be a bit of a curse at times. But it does get me a lot of work!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Brad

Once you get done with all of your set up steps, do you find your rifles hold zero better than an out of the box set up?

Deep, can't really say as I think I've only ever shot one Kimber (a 308) without fully bedding it. That rifle shot great, but most 308's do!

Yeah I guess you wouldn't really know then.

How's this: do you typically have to adjust the scope when you go the range post-season?

Even for rifles that don't get hunted, I often find that they are off 1/2 MOA or so if they sit in the closet long enough.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

How's this: do you typically have to adjust the scope when you go the range post-season?

Even for rifles that don't get hunted, I often find that they are off 1/2 MOA or so if they sit in the closet long enough.

Nope, essentially never. Funny you should bring this up, I took my 308 MT up to my range last week after the season to check its zero, and it was exactly where it was at the beginning of the season, after a pretty good backpack hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope, essentially never. Funny you should bring this up, I took my 308 MT up to my range last week after the season to check its zero, and it was exactly where it was at the beginning of the season, after a pretty good backpack hunt.

That is a good sign.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Great write up Brad, Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's this years elk, a decent 7x7, with the 308:

[Linked Image]

Really great write-up Brad. Thanks for taking the time.

Congrats on another very fine bull also!

Merry Christmas

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brad, great write-up. Question on the JB-Weld scope base mounting. Have you ever done it on a rifle with Cerakote and tried to remove the scope bases? I'm guessing the cerakote would come off but have never tried it. I have some rifles with cerakote and been reluctant to use the JB-Weld for this reason.

Merry Christmas

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Brad,
Thanks a ton for the great post. I have an 84L Classic with the walnut stock. Any ideas on anything you might do differently for a wood-stocked gun?
Thanks,
Jed

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
DJ, I've no idea on the Ceracote... that would likely be a good question for someone that applies it like Redneck here on the forum. I'd be curious to know myself.

Merry Christmas!

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jed, nice thing about your wood stock is that, unlike the Montana's which are "generically" bedded with a slave action, the wood-stocked versions are bedded to their individual actions, so unless you want to add some bedding to what is already there, I'd not worry about it.

Best,

Brad

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thank you and tag

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Brad, I had never heard that about the wood stocks. That really surprises me that they would do one method for one type of stock and another for the other. How did you find that out?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great write up...and excellent work. I would gladly pay for instruction in your bedding practices.

I have it in my mind that I can do it. Would just like to have someone looking over my shoulder and guiding me through potential trouble spots.

Thanks for sharing.

GB

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Jed, that's what I was told by Kimber. But I honestly can't confirm it as I've never had an 84M wood model apart. What are your thoughts pulling it apart, does it look like the action and bedding were mated during bedding? Put up some pics if you can.

The Montana stocks are made and painted in Costa Rica, so it makes sense they'd be bedded at the time of mfg with a slave action.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 257 roberts, 71 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.