Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Noticed that Savage is now making a lefty semi .22. Checked with my local shop and they said their distributor had them in stock so had them order one. Will post a review once I get my hands on it.
Could fit the bill as I was looking for a knock around, light, inexpensive rimfire to shoot skunks and other vermin that wonders to close to our house.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be interested in your review! I have a couple of LH boys that would probably like one of those.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I noticed that too and am interested, not that I need one. I have two Ruger 10/22s, but hey, it's left handed. My gun guy quoted me $165 OTD, but his distributor was out of stock. I may lay some Christmas cash on one in January. From what I hear the trigger is heavy, but there is a spring kit for $28 that is supposed to bring it down to 3-3.5#.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Leon,
Ordered mine from Dave's Pawn shop in Crossville. $178 including taxes and background check.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Not a bad price at all. Mine will come from Mill Gun Supply in Bledsoe, if I decide to go for it. Let me know how yours shoots, and especially how the trigger is.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Picked up the rifle today but it's to dark outside to shoot. Stock seems solid but it seems to press against the left side of the barrel. Time will tell if sandpaper will be needed. The trigger is a huge surprise. Barely any creep and my guess is it breaks around 5 to 5.5 pounds with a small amount of over travel. It doesn't appear the bolt locks back on an empty mag but this could be the mag that came with my rifle, could care less one way or the other. Stock has front and rear sling studs as well.
Will try shooting it tomorrow but won't be able to check for accuracy until a scope is mounted on it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Keep me posted on the accuracy. Do you plan to tune the trigger? The Mcarbo kit at $28 is pricey for two little springs, but from what I have read it drops the weight of pull to 3 to 3.5 pounds.

I just found out that the rifle is back in stock at the distributor, but I am trying to decide between it and a Ruger American left hand .22-250.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 12/21/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Ran a box of Aguila ammo through the rifle this morning and no dice. 1-2 failures to feed out of each mag. Rummaged through my supply and found some CCI Mini mags and fired 30 off pretty quick with no failures of any kind. The mini mags were noticeably louder which tells me this rifle was not designed to run with lower velocity ammo. My guess is try any ammo running about the same speed as the CCI's to start. Aguila seems pretty accurate in my revolvers and bolt rifles but lacks the zip to make most semi's function with the exception being my Ruger Mark III.
So far so good. Accuracy testing is a long way off as I haven't set up any target stands on our property yet and still need a scope for it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Today I was rummaging through a safe and found a Weaver rim fire scope. At first was going to offer it for sale then remembered the Savage sitting in the corner of the workshop. Mounted the scope and walked over to the shooting bench. Ammo used was CCI Mini Mags, 36 grains. At 51 yards the rifle would routinely shoot under 1 inch with the occassional flyer about every 10 rounds. Rifle is really light and hard to shoot well off the bench. Add in the fact I am not a good bench shooter and the trigger is less than perfect. My gut tells me the rifle is capable of .5 - .75 groups at 50 yards if the shooter and ammo does it part. The Mini Mags function flawlessly. Zero failures to feed, eject, or fire.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I wound up spending my money on a left hand Browning T Bolt. It shoots like a dream.Easily puts 5 under a dime a 25-30 yards. It usually has one ragged hole at that distance.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
The one I had was very accurate but the cheap, mystery metal magazines quickly wore the feed lips and wouldn't feed reliably after 500-1000 rds.. I don't know if they've changed the magaizines since then but if not buy several.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure what metal the mag is made from but it has to be the thickest material I ever seen on any magazine.

G
G
I am a left handed and this one is for me!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1234, 11point, 2500HD, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,971 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.