Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What powder measures do you like. Have evolved from Lee dippers to Lyman 55 and now want to add another to avoid readjusting when changing powders. Is there a measure that might handle "fluffy" powders like Unique a little better than the L55, or is that as good as it gets? Are those powder measure weights helpful? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What works for me may not work for you. I still use a Lyman55(I'm the third owner). My late FIL couldn't get consistent results with my Lyman so he bought an RCBS, which didn't work well for me. Yes, flake powders seem to gum up the Lyman, but I put up with it.
Try what your reloading friends have, then buy what works best for you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What works for me may not work for you. I still use a Lyman55(I'm the third owner). My late FIL couldn't get consistent results with my Lyman so he bought an RCBS, which didn't work well for me. Yes, flake powders seem to gum up the Lyman, but I put up with it. Try what your reloading friends have, then buy what works best for you.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am still using an RCBS Uniflow that I bought in 1977. Zero issues.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Redding.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 4 and like them all

1 Hornady LNL
1 Lee auto disc
2 #55 Lymans

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I started out with an RCBS and used it for many years. I upgraded to Redding and don't see a lot of difference other than the cost. I throw rifle charges underweight and trickle them up to weight so changing measures is not an issue like it is for those who want to throw charges at weight. For handgun I use RCBS Little Dandy.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
RCBS Uniflow, upgraded to use Quick Change inserts. I have several inserts, each set to a specific powder wt. range. I pop one in and make minor adjustments to the charge I'm throwing. That's a lot faster than having to adjust from very light to very heavy charges.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/11/16.
J
J
I've been using Ideal 55 almost from the get-go. For the flakies, I find using a narrow, deeper, cavity in the '55, gives more constant results.

Joel
Handloading since 1952

Last edited by jmay2174; 01/16/16.
N
N
Of the powder measures I have tried and still have, I rate them as follows:
1) Perfect powder measure: very good bench-mounted unit. Very consistent throws, even with Unique, 4895, or Trail Boss. Feels like a cheap piece of plastic, but—it works. It also leaks with fine powders until it wears in. Lee now has a metal unit.
2) Hornady L-N-L: Great measure for bench- or press-mount. The case activation is complicated looking, but I never had a problem with it.
3) Lee Pro Auto-Disk: the measure most likely to be mounted on my Dillon 1050s at any time. Work well for me and one cavity is generally well with in accuracy-load range for any cartridge I load.
4) Dillon: a fine measure. Have problems adjusting them and getting them to settle down, but they work well. Have used them on various Hornady progressives over the years. Where I have a tool head dedicated to a specific load, it probably has a Dillon measure on it.
All of them have leaked at one time or another, except the Hornady.
The biggest problem folks have with the Hornady is not remembering which drum/rotor they have installed and not getting consistent throws until they realize their mistake. I have never use the Dillon for anything except standard pistol rounds, so I could see folks forgetting which assembly they have (though most buy a Dillon measure and dedicate it to a specific cartridge (it stays on the tool head).

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks - good info. I now have L55, nice old RCBS Uniflo with metal tops and Lil Dandy. All great tools. Working myself up to a 550 and whatever comes with it.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd say that the question as asked has no answer beyond whatever might suit more specific needs.

For readjustment when changing powders I'd suggest a micrometer measure starting with Redding for the expected range of charges. Maybe moving up to Harrel's and beyond that to Neil Jones and other specialty measures.

For my own use I start with an RCBS Little Dandy and a full set of rotors and go up through a Harrel's for high volume small capacity (varmint/<.308 case) to a Quick Measure for large volume log powders. I have a Hornady with micrometer inserts for a powder through on a progressive LNL AP and an RCBS with micrometer inserts added long after that was my first purchase after measuring spoons from a heap of powder on a small saucer into a scale to start.

They all work for the jobs I use them for. Large volume log powders is maybe more of a specialty but the measure works just fine with easier jobs. Redding may be as good as a Harrel's. Harrel's has offered a wide range of sizes over the years as does Redding.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a new Hornayy, and real old Lyman, a old RCBS and a Harrell's. The Harrells get used fo everything to fifty gr or less. Best and easiest to use in my mind.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Lyman 55. But I'm thinking about the little Harrell's made for pistols. Anybody tried this. The 55 works fine once it's adjusted but it takes to long to set up. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have two Uniflows. Flake powders only for one set up for pistol. It's pretty accurate for pistol. I only load high volume 223 rifle cartridges with Ball powders using the Uniflow though. It's very accurate with Ball powder. I use an electronic dispenser for hunting cartridges where I'm not doing a lot.
The tip for uniformity with the Uniflow type measure is to tap the handle twice during fill, tap twice during dump, and don't let the hopper drop below 1/4 to 1/3 full.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RCBS offers a baffle which I believe improves its performance. It's cheap and effective.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a LEE Perfect Powder Measure, as mentioned earlier, leaked just a bit with fine powders until it got broke in. Seams to throw about any powder you use very consistently(I've used it for various stick powders, ball powders and Red Dot). Been thinking about the new cast version, but it would be hard to improve on the function of the one I've got.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For my needs, I have settled on the Lil Dandy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Redding 3BR for my single stage press, and a Dillon measure for my 550B.

The 3BR works great with Unique with the universal chamber down to 5gr. If you're loading small handgun rounds get the handgun chamber.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I had several named units listed above, and sold them when I got a Lee perfect powder measure unit. I am totally sold on this little unit. I also have a Lee Pro Auto disc that is very good too, would like to find someone that needs it. I don't use it anymore. Wallacem in Ga

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The lee is less than perfect with small ball powders such as H-110. It'll leak out the sides and bind up the works.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Check Harrells Precision out. I have one of their BR measures.
It is very accurate and repeatible. They make some nice stuff.

Last edited by JeffCo; 12/22/16.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
About the Harrells Precision. Occassionally shoot with a fellow range member that comes to range to work on a load....clamps a metal plate to shooting bench with two Rcbs Jr presses on it and the Harrells Precision powder measure. Have seen him charge many of a case with it. He definitely likes his Harrell.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Last year I bought a RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 powder scale and dispenser. The first time I used it I fell in love with it. When you replace the tray it automatically fills the tray up with the next charge.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Hornady LNL on a Lee Loadmaster dedicated for 223.

A Lee Auto Pro Disk on my other Loadmaster dedicated for pistol calibers.

Then I have a Redding that I use for my hunting rifles.

Dan

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a Harrell's for rifles and a Lyman 55 for pistol. Both do a great job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 1OntarioJim, 48 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,112
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.