Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Hello fellas I recently purchased a tikka t3 superlite stainless camo in 260 rem for my sons and me to use. I was wanting to put a limbsaver recoil pad on it to reduce some kick since it's so light for my young sons. I got the part # 10011 and it fits great up and down but is somewhat narrower than the camo stock at the top of the pad/stock. I saw where limbsaver offer a different part # 10112 I believe for some tikka t3's. I got the one listed for the tikka t3 lite thinking mine was just a camo stocked lite but I'm not totally happy with the fit. Anybody fit a limbsaver pad to your camo stocked tikka t3?
Thanks,
Eddie

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have put limbsaver pads on 2 of my Superlites and the fit nicely. Maybe you do have the wrong one. Take your Tikka pad in to hold against the Limbsaver to check for fit if you find someone who stocks them.

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Just picked up a superlite in 7-08 and thought I'd check. It is a touch wider than my older T3 lights. So I put one of the 10011 limbsavers on it and there is a noticeable difference.
Not sure if some of the superlites are a bit wider or if maybe the newer stocks in general are oversized?

Not sure if limbsaver would have a different model that matches better but last time I checked on their site they had templates available. Might be easier to use those to find a match than trying what pads you can find in person?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now you've got me confused. I found the Limbsaver box that I believe I purchased for my Superlite, and it is #10111. I'm sure I meant to buy the regular 10011 and messed up, but the fit isn't too bad, the pad is a little wider at the bottom, and sticks up maybe half a millimeter at the top. Maybe the 10112 is sized a little closer to the 10111? If so it might do the trick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am curious to see how much it honestly improves things. I ask because years ago I replaced the stock pad on a lightweight Browning Stalker which kicked more than any 260 should. I can't recall feeling the new pad helped all that much. It was one of the earlier limbsavers. I ended up hating it because it the gummy thing glued itself to the floor of my closet and ended up with bits of carpet embedded. WTH right?

What did help was replacing the stock with a Band C. It has a larger overall pad (decellerator) and the combination of it and an overall better stock design (stiffer too) made it a vastly more comfortable shooter.

Skinny, smaller pads are just no bueno.

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/21/15.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For practicing with a hard kicker, a PAST shoulder pad will help a lot, too. It seems thin but it spreads the recoil over a larger area so it doesn't hurt nearly as much.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've put Limbsavers on several rifles and a shotgun, and always felt that they made a noticeable difference in percieved recoil.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a superlight in 308 with a Limbsaver and it helps a lot.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Ken, I have had five T3's and have found the stock to handle recoil pretty well. The factory pad shape doesnt bother me, it's the fact that they have about as much give as a brick coupled with a light rifle. I usually only go with the softer limbsaver in '06 and up. In those rifles, the limbsavers do make shooting off the bench much more pleasant.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I put a Limbsaver on a Savage 111 300 WSM. It was more of a job than normal, though, as the stock was hollow. I cut a piece of 3/4" wood to fit inside and epoxied it in. I left about 1/8" of space behind it and filled that with epoxy to seal it up. I then screwed the pad to the wood plug and sanded it to match the stock (a disc sander is VERY useful here).

I can't say if it was better than the stock pad because there was no stock pad. I can just say that the Limbsaver changed it from brutal to a very nice shooting fun.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have found the best thing to do is print the templates off the website, and then compare the stock to the templates. The pads always are the same size as the templates, but not always the model they say they are for. Sometimes another model number will fit even better.

I now prefer the Kick-Eeze prefit pads. I just print the templates that are close, find the closest one (even if oversized), and then final fit it. They are simple to sand to fit (just by hand with a block and sandpaper. Usually not much is needed to be taken off.

I have had issues with the material in the Limbsaver pads degrading over time. It's almost like it slowly melts and gets sticky. Sometimes the pads even stick to foam in a gun case. It's just a problem inherent with that material.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quote: I ended up hating it because it the gummy thing glued itself to the floor of my closet and ended up with bits of carpet embedded. WTH right? Unquote

Ken, I had one of those early "sticky" Limbsavers also. They had a bad batch or something, changed the formula, not sure, but all of the current Limbsavers aren't "stick'" like you refer to.

I have a couple of Tikka T3 Lites, 270 WSM and a 300 WSM, and I put limbsavers on both. The 270 wsm is nice to shoot, the 300 wsm still lets you know it kicks good, but not as bad as without the limbsaver installed on it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
My pad fit about the same way, on my 7mm-08. I took the rifle in to SW and went through all they had and the one I bought to begin with, was the best fit.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have been using the limbsaver recoil pads for several years. I think they are best pad made. I did have one that started to get sticky on my .338 Winchester mag. They sent me one of there new Airtech pads. Makes it feel like shooting a .270. All my pads for Tikka rifles have fit good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.