Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not talking about the original Philadelphia Derringer which was a caplock or flintlock single shot or the modern tiny revolvers by NAA. I'm speaking of two-shot, over and under barreled derringers such as the old Remington but updated into modern calibers and typified by American Derringer. Stuff like American Derringer, FIE, etc. The High Standard .22 Mag. would also fit in here.

Anybody consider them viable either as a primary CCW or backup? I am not thinking about one for myself, nor do I currently own one. I just thought perhaps they were worthy of discussion.

I have owned some in the past. Back in the nineties, the Davis Derringer could be gotten for around $50 new. It was touted as "good for the money". Even in those halcyon days of yesteryear $50 wasn't much so...IIRC they were made of zinc alloy and came in .22 and .22 Mag. Later after the Seecamp made a splash and Marshall's One Shot Stop index made the 32 ACP Silvertip look almost as good as the 380, the same gun was to be had in 32. Even later I believe they came out with a bit larger model in 38 Spec. I had a couple of these and carried one a bit. They were a cute little gun but only two shots of .22 or Mag. ain't much. I don't recall ever carrying the 32 I owned briefly. Or shooting it.

I owned one American Derringer. It was a beautiful gun but no bargain at IIRC $200-300. Mine was a 38 Spec. and kicked enough. I can't imagine being man enough to shoot one of the "Alaskan Survival" models in 45-70. I remember a guy taking one outside a gunstore I used to frequent and shooting it with 410 into the store owner's woodpile or some such. The guy wasn't a volunteer for a second shot.

The High Standard was supposedly a favorite of deep cover cops back in the seventies or eighties. I believe American Derringer acquired the rights to it and still makes it, but I could be wrong. I've never owned one.

Thoughts?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one (.357). They are about the same size and weight as a J-frame 5-shot .38. Draw your own conclusions as to which ought to get carried more often (or at all).

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

The High Standard was supposedly a favorite of deep cover cops back in the seventies or eighties. I believe American Derringer acquired the rights to it and still makes it, but I could be wrong. I've never owned one.

Thoughts?

The HS derringer was a favorite for cop back up guns back in the day. Largely because there was nothing smaller than a J frame Smith or D frame Colt that could be fired by simply pulling the trigger.

This was the day of the 25 auto, for the smallest hideout gun available, but they were sorta like carrying a baby copperhead in your pocket. Deadly, but not altogether user friendly.

The HS derringer was more or less a DA two shooter. Better than a sharp stick, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have a good sharp knife, for the self defense work the HS derringer was designed for. (Near contact distance)

The revolutionary Kel Tec P32 spelled the end of the various and sundry 25 autos. Likewise, the NAA mini 22 and 22 magnum revolver put a severe crimp in the derringer territory.

There will always be a set of folks who like the IDEA of the stack barrel derringer. Why, I don't know, except that maybe they grew up watching Maverick on TV.

Generally, The current crop of Derringers are comical to me. Bond Arms and others still make them, and charge as much as one could expect to pay for a decent self defense firearm, but they are no more useful than the Davis or Cobra, as far as hitting what you might have to shoot at. If they have a redeeming quality, it would be in the superior materials they are made out of.

If a person wanted one just because he doesn't have one in his or her collection, I'd say, why not, just buy a good one. That being said, I can't think of a situation where I would recommend one for self defense carry.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a .38 derringer in the 80's. IMO, it was next to worthless.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For my money, there are far better choices.YMMV

μολὼν λαβέ
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yup I had a 38 Derringer back in the 80s also every time i shot it I bleed, no matter how i tried to hold it, sold it! I do have a HS 22 mag not bad have the pocket type holster for it easy to carry, shoots good 2 shots about 2-3 inchs apart, better than nothing, but still like my Detonics 45 better!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

Thoughts?

The HS derringer was a favorite for cop back up guns back in the day. Largely because there was nothing smaller than a J frame Smith or D frame Colt that could be fired by simply pulling the trigger.

This was the day of the 25 auto, for the smallest hideout gun available, but they were sorta like carrying a baby copperhead in your pocket. Deadly, but not altogether user friendly.

The HS derringer was more or less a DA two shooter. Better than a sharp stick, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't rather have a good sharp knife, for the self defense work the HS derringer was designed for. (Near contact distance)

The revolutionary Kel Tec P32 spelled the end of the various and sundry 25 autos. Likewise, the NAA mini 22 and 22 magnum revolver put a severe crimp in the derringer territory.

There will always be a set of folks who like the IDEA of the stack barrel derringer. Why, I don't know, except that maybe they grew up watching Maverick on TV.

Generally, The current crop of Derringers are comical to me. Bond Arms and others still make them, and charge as much as one could expect to pay for a decent self defense firearm, but they are no more useful than the Davis or Cobra, as far as hitting what you might have to shoot at. If they have a redeeming quality, it would be in the superior materials they are made out of.

If a person wanted one just because he doesn't have one in his or her collection, I'd say, why not, just buy a good one. That being said, I can't think of a situation where I would recommend one for self defense carry.

Very nice summation. Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
I have one (.357). They are about the same size and weight as a J-frame 5-shot .38. Draw your own conclusions as to which ought to get carried more often (or at all).
To me the American Derringer Model #1 (If I recall the model correctly) is a bigger, beefier version of the old Remington. It does have the advantage of probably a slimmer, flatter profile over the J frame. Other than that, the disadvantages are obvious.

I think they have an old west appeal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No man in a gunfight wishes he had a smaller gun and fewer bullets.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A buddy had one in 45-70 that doubled when his dad shot it. It busted him up pretty bad.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Waders
No man in a gunfight wishes he had a smaller gun and fewer bullets.

I can't believe that isn't chapter 1, verse 1 in the Book of Proverbs. KJV, of course.

You couldn't be MORE right.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a North American mini revolver in 22 short, the smallest one they make.

I call it my "get the F*** off me" gun.

Stuck in a perps ear it might work well.

Virgil B.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I always wanted one in 45/70 O/U, but a 30/30 would be cool too. Of course I'd have to shoot it.. but my 1st shot would be a light reload! I did recently see one for sale in .223 O/U, that would be cool too.

Anytime I have had money saved up, there's another gun I actually had a purpose for that got funded instead.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There are many guns that would be cool to have but I can honestly say I have no desire for a Derringer in 45-70.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one in .45ACP. Wouldn't want more.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
To me the American Derringer Model #1 (If I recall the model correctly) is a bigger, beefier version of the old Remington. It does have the advantage of probably a slimmer, flatter profile over the J frame. Other than that, the disadvantages are obvious.

I think they have an old west appeal.

If you're playing cowboy, great. If you're actually thinking about a self-defense piece, not great.

A Kel-Tec .380 or Ruger LCP has an even flatter profile, weighs less, carries more rounds, and is faster/easier to reload.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I carried a High Standard .22 Magnum for the whole time I was with Dallas PD. It started out the #1 Backup and went to the #2 position after I started carrying a Model 38 in a leg holster. The HS rode in a Bianchi IWB holster clipped to the strap on my vest... With CCI TNT HPs they make 1200 fps...

I knew Bob Saunders who was the president of American Derringer and sold a lot of his guns when I was a dealer. One of my friends had a 3" .45-70/.410 that would get your attention when it went off.

One nice thing about the HS and other hammerless DA derringers is that you are going to get two shots off with no worry of jamming or slowness of thumbcocking to get the rounds off...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
High Standard .22 Magnum

I have one of these; loudest thing you ever did hear.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

They are too loud! I put a silencer on mine,

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I won't consider one because for about the same weight and size, you can carry a six shot .380 in your pocket. Just a little bigger is a five shot .38 Special or an eight shot 9mm.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

86 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,113 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,480
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.