Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Having shot Parker guns most of my life, I am no stranger to double guns, but became intrigued with the idea of a .405 WCF double rifle to be company for my 1895 TD .405. I looked far and wide for such a rifle without success until finally, I learned that a kindly gun maker had made one for himself, but was so busy making guns that he had no time to hunt. He understood my plight and provided Santa with one for me by this Christmas. The complete cased kit was in my Christmas day post and generating many requests for more details
[Linked Image]
Simson &Co. Suhl .405 WCF Double Rifle
[Linked Image]

The rifle is based upon an engraved 12 gauge Simson shotgun with a scalloped boxlock action with a Greener cross bolt, tang safety, side clips and cocking indicators.
[Linked Image]]

The 24 inch McGowan barrels with sling swivel stud have a rear express sight with one standing leaf and two folding leaves, an orange fiber optic bead front sight, extractors, and claw scope mounts integral to the rib. The kit includes a Leupold Variable 1x4 scope sight with quick detach Talley rings.
[Linked Image]

The stunning Claro walnut stock with right side palm swell, left side cheek piece and classic splinter forend really set off
the piece. The stock is fitted with a steel grip cap, sling swivel stud, and a Kick Eze recoil pad.
[Linked Image]
A few more specifications of interest include weight of 10 pounds with balance at the action, overall length of 40 inches, LOP of 14.25 inches, triggers pull at 4.1 pounds, and minimal drop at the comb. I must be living right because it fits like it was made for me!
The rifle was proofed with 400 grain bullets loaded with the 300 grain service load. It was regulated with 300 grain Hornady JSP bullets at 2100 FPS and this information is stamped into the barrel flats.
I plan to shoot the rifle as soon as the monsoon stops and the ranges dry out and will report back on that. A January hog hunt will be my first chance to take game with it.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow! What a nice rifle to own. Once you get it broke in, you need to give us some ballistics data on your loads.

It seems like it could be a one-of-a-kind (er. two-of-a-kind) cape buffalo gun.

BH63

Last edited by BH63; 12/29/15.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congratulations on such a wonderful Christmas gift. Best wishes to you for a great New Year.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Beautiful!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Update with 2 new pix:
Scope on rifle:
[Linked Image]

Nicely crowned muzzles:
[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Way cool!

Will be very interested in your shooting results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
From one Parker fan to another well done.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, unfortunately I don't see that working out for you. I hate to see someone have to hunt with something like that.

Let me shoot you an address to get rid of that ugly thing.

LOL
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I know that piece is as lovely on the inside as the outside. Just looking at the wood, that's saying a lot.

Happy new year.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all for the kind comments.
BHG63 - My thoughts exactly!
Mule Deer - I am still breaking in the barrels and shot 12 rounds last Sunday afternoon. Here is the picture of the first shot at 50 yards from the right barrel from a bench rest and using Hornady 300 grain ammo at 2225 fps:

[Linked Image]

I am still getting used to the express sights and hope to do better when it is broken in. smile

Then I can work on hand loads.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That is nice, very nice. it would be nicer if we could get a traditional double of a mid level quality at a mide level price, say under 3k. UNDER.

I know if can be done, there was a Browning that fit that bill for a while, but it was mostly or all calibers more suited to a bolt rifle.

I guess the big bore double is too small a market. Sebatti did this for about a year, until they split out ALL the desirable calibers for a 5k price and kept a few 9mm or 45/70 at the mid level. Same gun just in-your-face price for any desirable nitro/traditional caliber.

Then I see that even with RCBS loading dies. Any thing with an NE suffix is 4x the price or a comparable non-NE caliber even if very very similar in case design.

Nice gun and better to have than waiting for the under world to freeze over an never having.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice indeed. Congratulations. Good work in finding that under the tree.

If that was the first shot, then it is crossed from right barrel to left side of target at 50 yards. And it is high!
Or you wobbled. wink
We can't tell until you do some more shooting, of both barrels.
Iron sights first and then the scope.
Could it be that the regulation load works better with the scope than the open express sights?
But I am concerned that you said it was fitted for "claw mounts" but you are using Talley rings. Was that merely an exuberant misspeak at the unveiling?

Simson & Co of Suhl, Germany: The "golden years" would be 1856 to 1936, until the Simson family fled Hitler. Then the maker's name held on in various guises through the hot war and the cold war until ceasing manufacture in 2002. I sure don't know the ins and outs of all that.
Is this a conversion of one of those "golden years" shotguns?
Used McGowen barrels instead of "Krupp Stahl" you say?
I do like McGowen barrels.
Your double rifle looks like a work of fine art.
Cheers

Last edited by Riflecrank; 01/08/16.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
RK,
In order;
1. We could discuss that first shot over coffee, Irish, cigars,etc for at least an hour, but with all the mitigating factors, I am delighted to even be in the bullseye!
2. Yes, on the sighting-in sequence and that is next now the barrel break-in is complete.
3. Thank you for the review of the Simson gun history. I would like to know the year of manufacture; can you suggest a Simson gun serial number database to query?
4. The action is as tight now as my Parker reproductions were when new, so it appears to be well made and long lasting. smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
RK also asked-
"But I am concerned that you said it was fitted for "claw mounts" but you are using Talley rings. Was that merely an exuberant misspeak at the unveiling??

Ignorance on my part. frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice rifle! If the builder cut off the original shot tubes ahead of the flats for a monobloc, and the factory stampings were preserved, you should be able to date your gun. Maybe post a photo of the flats?

Jeff

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
RK and Jeff,
Thanks to you both for motivating me to learn the year of manufacture of the Simson shotgun action. Per this link to European proof marks,
http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

"Suhl, Germany: Month and year, 3 or 4 numerals as required, with forward slash between month and year from 1921 until 1930s, as: 5/24 for May 1924. Afterwards without slash, as: 1163 for November 1963."

So, the proof date was either 2/70 or 12/70, as the first character position has been over stamped with a "4".

When used to make the .405 rifle, the characters ".405" were stamped onto the barrel flats and as luck would have it, obscured the first numeral of the proof date. On one side all but the /70 was obscured, but on the other, 2/70 is clearly visible.

Last edited by crshelton; 01/09/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
cr,

Check for some additional stampings. I suspect that the 12/70 you see is to identify the original shot chambers. i.e. 12 gauge 70mm(what we call 2-3/4" in the USA).

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, 12/70 is the CIP-compliant marking of a shotgun of "Cal. 12" as they say, or "12 gauge" as we say, that has a brass case or unfolded paper/plastic case length of 69.80 -2.50mm length, and chamber length of 69.90 + 2.00mm, i.e. "70mm" about 2-3/4" as we say.

The Hallowell note says if the year was 70, there would be no slash between the month and year numerals.

Builder stamped ".405" over the "12/70" which makes sense.

I am of no help with serial numbers for year of manufacture. That would take some research ... interesting ... I'll post here if I find anything.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
That is really a neat find! I'm green.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
522 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.