-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just bought and installed one of these(this one sold by Cabela's) on my Honda Rancher 350 ES.
<br>
<br>First major drawback, they are NOT just bolt on as it says in the catalog. For Hondas you must weld a slightly larger adaptor onto the existing tailpipe. Not a big deal, but a real problem for people who don't have a wire welder handy. AND, this is not mentioned in the description.
<br>
<br>Second, it is definitely quieter, but since I don't have a sound level meter, I am forced to use subjective evaluations of the reduced noise level and MY SUBJECTIVE evaluation is that it does not reduce exhaust noise by anywhere near 50% as claimed. I haven't had a chance to ride it around enough to see if the reduced noise emissions have any real world game viewing benefits but at this point, for the price, $200, I would give this one a long second thought before plunking any money down.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the review. I saw those and wondered about them. In your opinion they don't quiet live up to the advertising hype. Is that right?
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Boggy:
<br>
<br>I have been so busy that I really can't say(worked all the cows we could catch yesterday, which was about 300 leaving 20 miscreants running around in the woods) if they will actually help in the field, they are definitely quieter at low rpms, such as puttering along a trail or whatever. I don't think they are the claimed 50% quieter but since the decibel scale is exponential, it is hard for me to quantify sound level reductions by ear(even if I could hear worth a flip, which I can't). I've heard of people welding larger Briggs and Stratton lawnmower type mufflers to the end of the existing tailpipe. I'm not sure that wouldn't be almost as effective and a heckuva lot cheaper, but haven't actually tried it.

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Boggy:
<br>
<br>After riding it around some, I THINK, that is, this is an early opinion not written in concrete, that the reduced noise level is helpful in viewing/not scaring game. Have had several deer including a very nice, meaning with a big spread for his age, 6 point just kind of look at me as I rode in their direction, and upon stopping with the motor running, they didn't bolt, just kind of strolled off. Like I said, not definitive, but somewhat better than their normal reaction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the update. I have noticed that I can do pretty much the same on the Yamaha. As long as I just slow along they will just stand an look esp if they are over about fifty yards. I came in last night by moonlight with no head lights and drove by a doe and two yearlings that I could have spit on. They just stood there chowing down on red oak acorns. Oddly my boys Kawasaki won't do that. He has viper tires on it and they make noise or do something different. Deer don't like it anyway and move off faster even when I am driving the same speed. Odd.
<br>Still don't know if the muffler would be worth the time trouble and money.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, my prior "quiet" was putting along in second and it worked pretty well, but I THINK that this seems to alarm them a bit less. This IS quieter, but just as my first post started out, I am not sure it is quieter enough to be worth it. Wish I had another one, I would weld a Briggs & Stratton muffler on it an compare. I've got a friend with one, when he comes out hunting, we'll fire them up side by side and ride them around some and I'll let you know what my ear hears then........like that would mean anything.....LOL. Was that a freight train or the wind?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wonder what adding the extra muffler would do to back pressure on the valve seats? Any guesses?
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

557 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,851
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.