Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up my rifle yesterday from the LGS, and to be honest I'm on the fence about it. I ordered some Talley mounts that didn't make it into the box, but Eric admitted the mistake and refunded the money at my request. However, he did offer to overnight them to me at no expense which was a very nice gesture.

I had dropped of a Leupold VXII 3-9X40 to be mounted in the Talley's but when they weren't in the box he to the liberty of using some aluminum Weaver bases and Quad Lock rings. It's no big deal and the mounts and rings will work for now as if this rifle shoots really well, I'll be switching out the scope for a more long range option. However if it doesn't shoot as I hope, it'll probably get reworked.

First thing I noticed about the rifle is way heavier than advertised. MRC list the X2 Extreme as 6lbs 14oz. I figured I was going to add close to another pound with the Talley's and the Leupold, making the rifle a hair under 8 lbs. Well that isn't the case the rifle came in a hair under 8.5lbs, big difference from what I was expecting.

Sorry for crappy scale picture:

[Linked Image]

I know the MRC actions are supposed to be heavy as just reading around the web you hear that. I do think MRC could lighten up these rifles a bit by changing the barrel profile especially the shank. The shank on my rifle is a good 1.75" before the barrel begins to taper. However the balance is good on the rifle as it seems to balance right at the front action screw.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fit and finish seem to really good on my rifle, the trigger guard is flush with the stock line as well as the tang and ejection port. The cutout for the bolt handle could have used a little more attention as it's a little over sized. It doesn't feel as sevelt in my hands as my McMillan Hunter or M70 FWT stocks, but the stock does feel nice. The forearm is a little thicker than the McMillan's but the wrist, flutes and pistol grip has an excellent feel to them in my hand.

The barrel is free floated and centered in the forearm, though I'd maybe like a little more float on the barrel. It's a snug fit for an 8.5X11 sheet of printer paper to fit down the forearm. The float ends right at the shank as that is where the bedding material ends as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The stainless steel has a nice even matte finish all over though I haven't popped the action from the stock yet. The bolt handle feels a little small but it's still easy to manipulate. There is a ton of shipping grease in the action and on the bolt so until I can take some time to degrease everything, I can't really tell you how the bolt feels. I can tell you however, the safety works within an acceptable decibel range for those worried it might be too loud to use while hunting. wink

Hopefully I can get my 12 year old to drive me to the range on Friday after basketball practice, since it's hard to drive my pickup with my broken leg. She's getting pretty good at driving a stick and taking the backroads to avoid the law. It's a little father daughter bonding time we both enjoy.

If the rifle shoots well then I guess I'll figure out if I can put it on a diet affordably or not. I really want this rifle to perform well as I had planned to build an 8 twist .243 that would finish at sub 8 lbs all up, but jumped on this group buy as it saved me a minimum of $500 right off the bat. Needless to say I'm a little bummed about the thought of a 9lbs all up .243 Win.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
9lbs is a deal breaker for me. That is disappointing. If I could get one and take enough weight off of the barrel, and bottom metal to get to 7.5 lbs scoped I'd give them another look.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
9lbs is a deal breaker for me. That is disappointing. If I could get one and take enough weight off of the barrel, and bottom metal to get to 7.5 lbs scoped I'd give them another look.

I knew the Montan action is heavy like Ruger's because it's a forged action with a little more metal to it. However, the first group buy of the .260 Rem's the naked rifle was 7lbs. I figured I'd go 8.5 all up which wasn't bad since I'm sharing this rifle with my 12 year old for 11 more days daughter. I wanted something that was within reason for her to carry and shoot without getting bad habits on mule deer hunts. I just wanted the fast twist to play with shooting at longish ranges.

I don't want to sound like I'm upset with Whittaker's in any way. Eric and Darrik have been nothing but professional and super easy to deal with through the whole process. I'll gladly send them my business any day and recommend them to anyone looking for a firearm. I just feel like this problem rest solely on MRC's shoulders since they exaggerated the weight by such a large amount. I've contacted MRC to see what they have to say about it and I'll keep everyone informed.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The 8.5lb weight includes your scope and rings right? How much did the rifle weigh naked?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Order and Edge stock and PTG aluminum bottom metal (or go blind mag on the stock but you'll have to grind the current mag box). Sell the current stock and bottom metal (which is very nice, just heavy) to get some of the extra cost back.

Not what you wanted going in to this, but it will achieve your end goal.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
The 8.5lb weight includes your scope and rings right? How much did the rifle weigh naked?

7lbs 9.5oz with aluminum Weaver two piece bases. Scope weighs and even 14oz with Weaver Quad Lock rings.

Last edited by taylorce1; 01/07/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That is a long shank for a lightweight rifle, but the advantage is that the barrel can be set back when the throat is gone around 1300 rounds and you will enjoy 2x barrel life...that's not a bad deal overall. If the bbl is at 24" I'd trim that too and AI the sucker!

I've used those Weaver 4x4 rings, and they're functional, but personally, I'd want a different scope.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Order and Edge stock and PTG aluminum bottom metal (or go blind mag on the stock but you'll have to grind the current mag box). Sell the current stock and bottom metal (which is very nice, just heavy) to get some of the extra cost back.

Or sell it and buy a Kimber Montana and be money ahead. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Or build on a Winchester Featherweight, and have it just right!

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM

Even if I had bought a Montucky I'd be swapping barrels, as I wanted a 1:8 twist. The MRC's judicious magazine was a plus as well. I just wasn't expecting it to be as heavy as it is turning out to be.

Rifle & Scope 8lbs 7.5oz
[Linked Image]

Rifle and Bases 7lbs 9.5oz
[Linked Image]

Scope and Rings 14oz
[Linked Image]

I emailed MRC about the difference between actual and advertised weight and the VP of Sales and Marketing basically told me to pound sand in a polite manner.

Chad,

We are very sorry to hear about your disappointment. Yes the rifle weights are approximates and are being updated on the website as the rifle stock design changed over the last year from using a 3 lb foam and Fiberglass to using a 6 lb foam mixed with Glass strands and Carbon fiber with Kevlar reinforcements.

We will continue to look for ways to make our products better, stronger and sometimes lighter. But weight has never been a consideration on the priorities of the design. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused but I do thank you for the information. We can only succeed when our customers give us information about the products and how they would like to see them better.

Jeff

Jeff Sipe, VP – Sales & Marketing

Last edited by taylorce1; 01/07/16. Reason: Add MRC remarks
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
First time I've been on here today and just saw this....

Ship it back before you shoot it and I'll refund your money in full? That's not standard practice and I wouldn't sell it as a new gun, but I could sell it as used -- unfired. We'd take a hit, but that's life.

I've not taken any of these out of the box for inspection, but that's heavier than any I've owned.

If you're not happy now, you never will be.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Ship it back before you shoot it and I'll refund your money in full? That's not standard practice and I wouldn't sell it as a new gun, but I could sell it as used -- unfired. We'd take a hit, but that's life.

I've not taken any of these out of the box for inspection, but that's heavier than any I've owned.

This is absolute top shelf CS.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's customer service!!! Well done!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unfortunately It's RARE that a rifle weighs what the mfr states...... Very rare

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Darrik, thank you very much. If you have my phone number on file would you please call me tomorrow, and we can discuss this. This is not your fault in anyway, and I'm really disappointed in MRC and their reply.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Offering to take care of a problem that is not your fault is going way above and beyond normal customer service. Very commendable on your part SAS.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Daveh
Unfortunately It's RARE that a rifle weighs what the mfr states...... Very rare

Kimber don't lie...

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by EdM

Even if I had bought a Montucky I'd be swapping barrels, as I wanted a 1:8 twist. The MRC's judicious magazine was a plus as well. I just wasn't expecting it to be as heavy as it is turning out to be.

Rifle & Scope 8lbs 7.5oz
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scope and Rings 14oz
[Linked Image]

I emailed MRC about the difference between actual and advertised weight and the VP of Sales and Marketing basically told me to pound sand in a polite manner.

Chad,

We are very sorry to hear about your disappointment. Yes the rifle weights are approximates and are being updated on the website as the rifle stock design changed over the last year from using a 3 lb foam and Fiberglass to using a 6 lb foam mixed with Glass strands and Carbon fiber with Kevlar reinforcements.

We will continue to look for ways to make our products better, stronger and sometimes lighter. But weight has never been a consideration on the priorities of the design. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused but I do thank you for the information. We can only succeed when our customers give us information about the products and how they would like to see them better.

Jeff

Ouch, my old pre 64 338 win mag only weighs 7 pounds. I feel you pain brother... Who wants a 9 pound (all up) .243??? Not me..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by EdM

Rifle & Scope 8lbs 7.5oz
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scope and Rings 14oz
[Linked Image]

Chad,

Jeff

Wow!!!

That Dud needs someone to teach him how to respond to disappointed customers....

Or just someone to kick the pomp out of his ass.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Jeff could take a lesson or three from you...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (1beaver_shooter, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 57 invisible), 3,353 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,297
Posts18,468,035
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.