24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
A
I would draw the line at .308 diameter bullets....for Alaska.

My favorite rifles are

300 Win Mag
338 Win Mag
338 Rem Ultra Mag

Last edited by Alaska; 01/13/16.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've shooted one black bear with a 300 Win. It died, although mostly due to bad luck on its part.

I think everything else has been a .284 of some flavor. Trying to think of a counterexample, and can't come up with one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had a guy up here tell me once that a 7 mag wants to be a 30-06 when it grows up. No reason to doubt him. I had one years ago, shot a few critters with it, gave it up for mo better options.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Alaska
I would draw the line at .308 diameter bullets....for Alaska.

My favorite rifles are

300 Win Mag
338 Win Mag
338 Rem Ultra Mag

Welcome to the Fire.

DF

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by NMiller
Had a guy up here tell me once that a 7 mag wants to be a 30-06 when it grows up.

I've been lied to before as well.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This eek

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Thanks for all of the replies. I did't see a problem using a 7 mag but wanted to ask those that live there and hunt with different calibers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think in the early days the 7mag had a checkered reputation, simply because pushing a cup core bullet over 3000 fps is asking for trouble and there were enough hunters that didn't realize that and figured the word magnum made it a magic death ray.

As with any caliber, use good bullets and place them where it matters and it'll work just fine. With modern bullets that hold together at higher velocities the big 7 is a fine big game round.

But when you start talking about modern bullets, you can consider more modern chamberings and guns and perhaps choosing a lighter short action rifle if going with a 7.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm kind of partial to the 7LAUM myself, but it is pretty tough to go wrong without putting a lot of effort into it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I think in the early days the 7mag had a checkered reputation, simply because pushing a cup core bullet over 3000 fps is asking for trouble and there were enough hunters that didn't realize that and figured the word magnum made it a magic death ray.

As with any caliber, use good bullets and place them where it matters and it'll work just fine. With modern bullets that hold together at higher velocities the big 7 is a fine big game round.

But when you start talking about modern bullets, you can consider more modern chamberings and guns and perhaps choosing a lighter short action rifle if going with a 7.

Can you expand a little on the part I highlighted in red? It's still early here, I don't think I'm reading it right laugh

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
7wsm is what I read out of it...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Wahnsinn
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Can you expand a little on the part I highlighted in red? It's still early here, I don't think I'm reading it right laugh

I'm sure 7mm WSM is what 458 Lott meant too. Problem is the cartridge is deader than a mackerel,with brass in scarce supply. frown

Meantime the 7 Rem Mag continues in the top 10, so I guess the rifle buying public does not agree. It's real easy for us to over think things sometimes.

Would agree on the bullet thing. I know of at least one outfitter who wailed loud and long about the 7 Rem Mag. Seems clients were showing up with fragile bullets that did not do well on his elk,moose and bear. He changed his tune on the cartridge after seeing it whack a grizzly with Barnes TTSX. It really is all about the bullets.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ran into a couple of folks this fall at the local Sportsman Warehouse who were looking for moose and or all-purpose loads for their rifles. It was pretty obvious that they were probably going to be pointing their rifles at flesh before paper under the circumstances at the time. One was a woman who had her 'nephew' on her cellphone and was contemplating whether to get the 150 or 180 Core-lokts for her 308. I did my best to convince her to go heavy, but....the 40 pack of 150s were a good deal.

And then there was the fellow who had a brand new 300 Win Mag. He had been to the range once and had shot 150s of some flavor -(more of which weren't on the shelf). He wanted to get a load that would be a versatile, all-purpose moose/caribou load. He was looking at some plastic tipped, thin jacketed 150. I tried to explain that it would work fine on his caribou, get real messy of he ended up poking a moose in a big bone, and might ruin a bunch of edible meat on a caribou that he had to hike at least 5 miles of tundra just to shoot. I tried to get him to think heavier ("But those 150s really shot well! And, my gosh, those Federal 180 Partitions or TSXs are spendy!"). I think I convinced him to at least buy some kind of bonded 165 grain bullet.

All that said, my partner this fall had 175 Core-lokts in his 7 Rem Mag, and one of those big slugs broke both heavy femurs. The problem in a lot of small places (here in Alaska anyway) is that they might carry a single bullet weight in a given cartridge. That could easily be 100 grainers in 270, 175s in 7 Mauser, and 140s in the 7 Rem Mag. That's a tough way to compare cartridges.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To Paul's point, good bullets in a 7-08 are pretty impressive, even on big bone in a moose.

My favorites are the 280AI and 7SAUM, which are twins, just like in the movie....

The WSM is a beast in a very nice package when looking at 3"ish magazines (Montana). The "rifle buying public" is mostly retarded, so I tend to not put much stock in their opinion. One need look no further than Washington DC to learn the value of popularity as a decision making tool.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 7x57 loves the 120gr TSX and they seem to kill stuff really extra dead... not sure adding noise and recoil would kill them double extra dead or not...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could be a 7-08, .284 win or one of the short mags. The point is, I personally don't want to tote the weight of a std. size action unless it's chambered in a 300 or 338 win mag as a minimum.

A 7 doesn't kick that much, and as has been proven again and again, the slightly smaller 7's kill just as well as the big 7, in a lighter more compact package.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Femurs?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Assshooting must be getting popular... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was thinking boolit test.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
My 7x57 loves the 120gr TSX and they seem to kill stuff really extra dead... not sure adding noise and recoil would kill them double extra dead or not...

my 7mm-08 seems to like the Barnes bullets in 120 gr. bullets

at least two moose seemed not to like them

if the meat's more tender if they're double extra dead, I'd say go for it. grin

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 54 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.