Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Apologize if this should be in the varmint forum, but I consider this a hunting rifle so here it goes.

I have a very accurate Savage 12 223 that I am looking to swap out the tupperware stock. I am currently looking at replacing it with a m40 style stock (B&C or McMillan - depending on budget)

This style looks like it could work for a varmint hunting rifle and overall I like the looks of it more than the standard Varmint model. (B&C)

Any feedback on the M40 Style as a varmint hunter stock? Likes or Dislikes about it?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'd get a Hunter style or A5 over the M40/HTG.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
M40A1/HTG? If so, I have one and really like it more than the all-out tactical stocks on a rifle that will be hunted with. It is very comfortable in a variety of positions, much more so than an A3 or A5. It is also more natural to carry due to the forend being more traditional. My only complaint is that the drop at the comb is huge. The stock needs a cheek riser no matter how big your head is...having McM do it while making the stock is probably the best option.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by whitebread; 01/14/16. Reason: Added picture
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/83...-system-varmint-barrel-channel-synthetic

This is the style I am thinking...You can add a karsten cheek piece if necessary or have one built on if you go the mcmillan route.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not much sense in paying good money for an aftermarket stock, then having to add a stock purse or aftermarket cheekpiece just to correct a design flaw. I made the mistake of ordering an HTG for my first Mcmillan purchase and had to learn the hard way. Good stock, just an antiquated design.

There are better designs out there for the varmint/hunting role, such as the Mcmillan Hunter, or Manners MCS-T.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
prairie_goat - "There are better designs out there for the varmint/hunting role, such as the Mcmillan Hunter, or Manners MCS-T." Those are some good choices. Not being nit picky but those stocks mentioned are a bit $$ compared to B&C etc. Now, IF money no object then I'd say get the best you can afford. Full Disclosure:I did not win the $1.6B powerball either. Homesteader

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I was speaking specifically of the Mcmillan in my previous post - my mistake for not making that more clear. I believe the B&C M40 has a higher comb. It's up to the individual to determine whether the additional price of a Manners or Mcmillan is warranted....the quality of the Manners and Mcmillan is certainly higher than B&C.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
prairie_goat - I've a Rem M40LR in .30/06 and it does indeed have a high comb. So much so that it's grooved allowing bolt removal. Not having seen or handled a McMillan or Manners stock I can't comment on them. For their cost I hope you're getting a better built product. Otherwise, the factory M40 stock will just have to do. Fits me nicely - I like it. Homesteader

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Any feedback on the M40 Style as a varmint hunter stock? Likes or Dislikes about it?

I had a 700 LR with the M40 for a bit, then sold it. Never shot it but quickly realized that I didn't care for the grip. Comb height was fine and seemed higher than the HTG. Not a fan of the spider-jiz either but that could have been fixed with rattle-can. The stock felt very stiff but the texture and appearance reminded me of Styrofoam. Just wasn't a fan of the feel or look of it, on top of the grip design.

If I kept the rifle, I would have sold the stock for $200 and put that towards a McM.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would take a look at the HS Precision PSV118 stock. It is the varmint version that come on some factory Savage rifles. They make a few versions for the various action/DBM types.

https://www.hsprecision.com/shop2/index.php/stocks/savage/pro-series-varmint-savage/psv118.html

I like these stocks for a general purpose rifle. Not too chunky, but works well for all positions.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had the HTG stock for a while. I hated it.

the A3-5 (top in pic below) is light years better.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Z
Z
Originally Posted by toad
I had the HTG stock for a while. I hated it.

the A3-5 (top in pic below) is light years better.

[Linked Image]

Isn't that an A1-3?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i'll look. you could be right. I have the paperwork here somewhere.

good eye.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.