Print Thread
Hop To
M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm trying to identify a receiver sight that belongs to a friend of mine. It is in a Lyman 36 box with paperwork stating it's for a 1924 or 1950 Mannlicher Schoenauer. The only 36's I had any experience with all pivoted. this mounts like a 36 but is fixed. There is no number on the sight. Did the 1924/50 take a different version of the 36? Thanks in advance for any help.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wouldn't any receiver sight for a M-S have to pivot to allow the bolt handle to pass through the split rear receiver bridge?

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
That's what I thought. I briefly looked through one store's shop copy of Stroeble's, "Old Gun Sights" and didn't see this one. This friend of mine is always coming up with unusual stuff. It sure looks like the same mounting system for a MS but I don't have another 36 around to compare other than what I can find in internet pictures. I think I'll take it to the gun show today and ask a few of the guys I know who are likely to have some info on this sight.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't see any Lyman markings on this sight nor any markings at all. May not be a Lyman sight, also it is not uncommon to find incorrect sights in boxes. Just because the box is marked Model 36 does not necessarily mean that the sight inside is in fact a Model 36. Has anyone looked in the "Old Gunsights" books to try to identify this sight. Sight dealers Gary Fellers or Ken Bean or sight guru Nick Stroebel might be able to identify it if you were to e-mail them a pic, worth a try.

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I had considered that it might be a different sight in a 36 box but the mounting system looks like that of a standard 36, at least as close as I can tell from internet pictures. I did get a quick look a couple days ago at Stroebel's book but didn't have time to really peruse it as it was the store's shop copy. I need to order that book.

Thanks for the sight dealers. I'll contact them.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would use a HUGE dose of caution having anything to do with Gary Fellers.

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for the heads up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by model70man

And I thought I was the only one who preached caution when dealing with GF!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure that is a Lyman sight, the friction adjustment lever for elevation screams "LYMAN". The fact that it mounts via holes in the top of the sight has me puzzled.

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The 36 actually mounts to the bolt release and the mounting system looks like the one on this sight.

36 bolt release mount

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
All I suggested was that GF was asked a question, I've known the guy is a crook for years now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have most of the post-WW1 thru 1970s Lyman catalogs, but they are not well illustrated and without a model #, more difficult to locate. I can't how a rigid, non-flexible, receiver sight would work on a bolt action with a split bridge; M-S, Mosin-Nagant, or Haenel-Mannlicher (88).

M
mart Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M

You're right. That's why I posted. It looks like it should mount like a 36 but it wouldn't work with their bolts and receiver. It's puzzling. I'm off to the gun show. Maybe I'll get it figured out.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by model70man

And I thought I was the only one who preached caution when dealing with GF!

Yes Jeff, he still has that amnesia problem when he has a disgruntled customer trying to get things made right! He can't remember a thing about it!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes Gary tends to forget that most customers were not born yesterday, they're on to his tactic of taking their money and shopping for what he has told them he has. Oldest game there is save but one. I was walking around a gunshow one time with a nice scope in my hand when Mr. Fellers asked to see it. He proceeded to tell me how much he liked "nice things", the temptation to tell him he forgets to pay for them was strong but I bit my lip as he handed my scope back to me. I'm surprised that given his reputation he has any business at all. Guess like PT Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute, good thing for GF.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Yes Gary tends to forget that most customers were not born yesterday, they're on to his tactic of taking their money and shopping for what he has told them he has. Oldest game there is save but one. I was walking around a gunshow one time with a nice scope in my hand when Mr. Fellers asked to see it. He proceeded to tell me how much he liked "nice things", the temptation to tell him he forgets to pay for them was strong but I bit my lip as he handed my scope back to me. I'm surprised that given his reputation he has any business at all. Guess like PT Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute, good thing for GF.

Very well stated Sir!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I wonder if it would fit on a straight-pull bolt action, like a Steyr M95?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Ken Bean is honest. fwiw

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (163dm, 160user, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 16Racing, 163bc, 67 invisible), 3,139 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.