-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agree with the others on the Enfield. Looks at home with that African game.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ingwe,

Every time you post pics of that rifle I am forced to add my accolades to everyone else.

The best sporter conversion ever!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got an as issud No 1 Mk 5 jungle carbine in 303 of course it was my grandpas. He like a lot of folks in the day rummaged through a barrel of war surplus rifles at the local hardware store, picked one out and paid the lofty price of I'm pretty sure he told me $5. They sold long branches the same way this would be in the early 1950s in northern BC. I've never packed it in hunting season should do something about that some time. Its no tack driver but no worse than about 4 moa but stupid reliable its never been babied and still feeds and extracts anything I've fed it perfectly. Loud little bastid though with the short bbl and flash hider. ..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Henry McCann
Ingwe,

Every time you post pics of that rifle I am forced to add my accolades to everyone else.

The best sporter conversion ever!!!

Thanks to you and everybody else! It actually made a nice light rifle to carry in the bush.

Another oblique peek at it. Thanks again guys!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 11/18/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salty303
I've got an as issud No 1 Mk 5 jungle carbine in 303 of course it was my grandpas. He like a lot of folks in the day rummaged through a barrel of war surplus rifles at the local hardware store, picked one out and paid the lofty price of I'm pretty sure he told me $5. They sold long branches the same way this would be in the early 1950s in northern BC. I've never packed it in hunting season should do something about that some time. Its no tack driver but no worse than about 4 moa but stupid reliable its never been babied and still feeds and extracts anything I've fed it perfectly. Loud little bastid though with the short bbl and flash hider. ..

My buddy just found one at a local pawn shop/gun store this summer. Has the handguard removed and the stock forend shaped a tad but otherwise stock. What a hoot to shoot that thing with the factory irons! We shot it field positions out to 150 and it was plenty accurate for hunting. The trigger was unique feeling in my experience and surprisingly easy to shoot well. If I ever come across one I may just have to snag it. My buddy is adamant that his will not be toyed with in any way! He wants the old school experience!

His new job affords him a little more time during hunting season so I'm trying to get him to take that thing out (but he's also a 9.3 slut and has a really nice AHR massaged CZ so that may get the call...)

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
x whatever ingwe that's a very cool rifle very nicely done looks the part on those pics big time.

mojo the trigger on those things is a little strange alright but serviceable like you say once you get used to the sloppy take up and crunchy release grin But yeah I love the military sights too nice big peep right smack where it should be and the ladder stowed out of the way quite well, which its fun to play with further out too

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shot my first deer with a .303 #1 SMLE. Missed a couple with a #4. Moved on and never regretted it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just hunted with a good friend who uses a Mosin. His is in plastic furniture. He's accurate with it to 300 or more with the iron sights. Former Army good and an excellent shot. He loves the cartridge and the rifle.

Me - I'd choose a 303 because you can build a rifle as beautiful as Ingwe's.

Of course you didn't mention the Campfire's favorite whore - the 7 Mauser. That's what I took elk hunting this year - I'm a huge fan with the way that cartridge shoots.

Last edited by Paradiddle; 11/21/14.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mosins killed enough motivated Nazis... I'm sure an ungulate wouldn't pose much of a problem.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My 30/40 was a little more than $75.00. I carried it last year but did not kill anything with it yet. Kind of hate to put the first scratch in it. It shoots factory Remington stuff pretty well.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat is a skookum 30-40! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

Of course you didn't mention the Campfire's favorite whore - the 7 Mauser. That's what I took elk hunting this year - I'm a huge fan with the way that cartridge shoots.

We don't have enough bandwidth for me to post pics of all the stuff Ive killed with the 7x57.... grin

Took one on that same Africa trip....a couple teaser pics.

1909 Square bridged Argentine by Dennis Erhardt...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Some really nice rifles shown here in some old classics!! Just picked this one up in .30-40 and hope to get out with it this deer season in PA!

[Linked Image]

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 11/23/14.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by PennDog
Some really nice rifles shown here in some old classics!! Just picked this one up in .30-40 and hope to get out with it this deer season in PA!

[Linked Image]

PennDog

Nice to find an ole' 30-40 krag ready to hunt.

Doc

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My little brother loves to hunt pigs with Grandads old sportarized Enfield .303 at the Ranch. He's probably killed several pick up loads with it over the years. Kills em DRT.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
My little brother loves to hunt pigs with Grandads old sportarized Enfield .303 at the Ranch. He's probably killed several pick up loads with it over the years. Kills em DRT.

Tell you what...I really like how mine feels now with the Synthetic Stock set. Even standing it is the steadiest Rifle I now own. Maybe due to the long heavy barrel but it really is stable and unwavering. Know what I like? it accepts stripper clips! smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Back just a bit before my time My Grandfather and Great Grandfather both used Mosins(grandpa still says the 7.62x54 was better on a deer than the .308 he replaced it with), my Great Uncle(Grandpa's younger brother) had a SMLE .303. All they could afford at the time, Dad started with a 98 in 8x57(should be on this list IMO). Little brother and I started with an old M98(me) and a SMLE(little brother). They all still worked too...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PennDog

[Linked Image]

PennDog

that is an awesome looking krag!!!!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
.303 british...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

your the man ingwe!!!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 4ager
Still waiting on the definition of a "woods cartridge".

It's the opposite of a "beanfield rifle". wink

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,254
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.