Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Aside from a drop tube, what are some common ways to do it? I've got a fairly compressed load worked up in new rifle using Nosler LRABs and I don't want to mash the nose of that relatively soft and pointy bullet any more than I have to when seating it. I mashed one tip out of a dozen or so I loaded a few days ago, but it could have been the bullet. Any tips to gain a little extra room? I'm not crunching too terribly much as is.

On a side note, I found that this bullet shoots pretty well for me in my 6.5x47L. (6.5mm 129gr version). RL17 makes 2,900fps from my 22.5" barrel and shoots around 1/2 MOA at 100yds. The bullet wasn't very picky with RL15 either, but I didn't quite get the speed. Looking forward to shooting at further distances in coming weeks.

Now with even more aplomb
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Get that bullet shaped thingy your wife or significant other keeps in her bedside table. Cover the mouth of the case with your finger while it's in the loading block, and touch the case with that thingy for a few seconds.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
JPro Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ahh. I do remember seeing that on one of those Midway USA tech tips on the Sportsmans Channel. If Larry says it'll work, I believe it......

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Along with a drop tube, pour the powder slowly and tap the case rapidly with your finger as you pour it. That's how I got a powder charge that went up flush to the case mouth to settle down to the bottom of the neck.

If your wife is currently using her thingy, that is...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I've done it by partially seating the bullets of a batch in a loading block and then putting it on top of the running clothes dryer for 10 or fifteen minutes. Then the bullets can be fully seated.

I've also done it by charging the cases in a loading block and placing a piece of flat plastic on top. Big rubber bands hold the covering plate in place again for 10 or 15 minutes on top of the dryer. Seating the bullets as normal afterwards.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
JPro, get a bit the appropriate size and ream the seater top out a little and that will give you a little extra room on your tips. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 01/24/16.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The handiest way to fit more extruded powder into a case is the famous old swirl technique.

Place your powder charge into a scale pan via your favorite powder measure or scale. Pour the powder charge into your case using a funnel. Pour the charge slowly along the side of the funnel so that the kernals swirl down into the case.

An even more effective method is to use a vibratory brass tumbler. Hold the brass against the stem of the tumbler as you add the powder.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I purchased a foot vibrator for $5 in a yard sale. You touch the filled case to it and watch the powder settle instantly.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Rub the sides of the filled cases with an electric toothbrush.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ya know, you guys hitting those cases with vibrating instruments are gonna be real shocked when the case lets out a little groan and spurts that powder back out at your face....

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
The handiest way to fit more extruded powder into a case is the famous old swirl technique.

Place your powder charge into a scale pan via your favorite powder measure or scale. Pour the powder charge into your case using a funnel. Pour the charge slowly along the side of the funnel so that the kernals swirl down into the case.

An even more effective method is to use a vibratory brass tumbler. Hold the brass against the stem of the tumbler as you add the powder.

Do I understand correctly that you are or, are not using a combination of swirl technique when vibrating a settled load?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Ya know, you guys hitting those cases with vibrating instruments are gonna be real shocked when the case lets out a little groan and spurts that powder back out at your face....

LOL

You just gotta know when to quit

I use and electric engraver

[Linked Image]

Maybe it's because my wife (or girlfriends) never needed one of those other thingies grin

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
A few years back Big Stick answered an identical post in detail. Stick posted that he prefers to admire pictures of George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Ingwe and Shrapnel and in that order while vibrating cases.

He said anybody who does it differently is a window licker.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Do I understand correctly that you are or, are not using a combination of yswirl technique when vibrating a settled load?

either, or.......not both......not that it would hurt anything, just not necessary.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Use an old electric toothbrush. Works great.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,262
Posts18,448,206
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.