Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm thinking about renting a table at the next local gun show. I'm cleaning out the safe and wanting to make some room. Knives, belt buckles, scopes, rings and bases, holsters, range brass,ect. That kind of stuff. Probably go in with at least one buddy. The table is $60 and you get 2 door passes. The time spent does not really matter. Just wondering how you came out. Thoughts and opinions? Thanks

lightman
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only one way to find out...

If 60 bucks makes or breaks you, you probably shouldn't.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lightman
I'm thinking about renting a table at the next local gun show. I'm cleaning out the safe and wanting to make some room. Knives, belt buckles, scopes, rings and bases, holsters, range brass,ect. That kind of stuff. Probably go in with at least one buddy. The table is $60 and you get 2 door passes. The time spent does not really matter. Just wondering how you came out. Thoughts and opinions? Thanks

you could probably sell most of that in the classifieds.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Its fun to do this once and a while. I sure couldn't see doing it every weekend like some do.

If you do get a table, make good use of the setup time to shop other "dealer" tables before the show opens to the public. The local shows also have a two hour window on Saturday morning for additional dealer setup. This is when the dealers do their buying.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Its a fun way to pass a day,but I have had better luck selling online.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I think it would be fun for a one-time experience. And when you consider the cost of the entry fees anyways, you may as well try and see how it goes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had an old guy that was friend of mine, and loved going to gun shows share some wisdom with me once...

I helped him man the tables he had at a gunshow, and noticed that he had bought several guns from other exhibitors, and the public walking in.

Just a rough mental count, I surmised that he had spent way more than he had sold by the time the show was over... I asked him about that.

He told me, very simply that he never made a penny selling a gun... he made all his profit when buying the item.

He was right.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Two sets of eyes are very valuable to combat sticky fingers. For the same reason, keep your cash in a fanny pack, NOT a portable cash box. To simplify making change, price everything in $5 increments if possible.

Cover your table completely overnight. The public aren't the only ones with sticky fingers. Do make friends with the dealers next to you and across the aisle: More eyes.

Finally, make eye and verbal contact, even with tire-kickers. An unrelated question (Is it still raining outside?) often starts a sales conversation. Sitting there like a dead stump does not.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Finally, make eye and verbal contact, even with tire-kickers. An unrelated question (Is it still raining outside?) often starts a sales conversation. Sitting there like a dead stump does not.

Pay attention to this. "Good morning, how are ya today?" starts many a good conversation and more than a few sales. I see dealers sitting on their butts reading a magazine while customers just glance at their tables and keep on going. Smile and be friendly to everyone, it pays off.

Bring a pocketful of cash, many good opportunities walk in the door.

Last edited by jnyork; 01/31/16.

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
From an occasional buyer's perspective having things clearly labeled (i.e. what do the scope bases fit) and priced makes a big difference.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Price your stuff to sell. Most gun show guys ask wayyyyy too much, so that even after dickering they are still putting it to you. Price it like you want to sell it and stand back!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You'll come away from it thinking the 'Fire is a Mensa Int. forum.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
Price your stuff to sell. Most gun show guys ask wayyyyy too much, so that even after dickering they are still putting it to you. Price it like you want to sell it and stand back!

Surprising how many shops don't know that, and you are wasting your time telling them so as they won't listen.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just like some conversations you overhear at gun shops. I learned long ago that it isn't worth the time to argue with a customer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another thing, if you think the dealers engage in bullschitt, wait until you are on the other side of the table. Yokels walking by can make the damnedest comments you can imagine. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Give it a go, you will have fun if you want to. Like others said, clearly marked items and prices that say buy me. I'm always amazed at the guys who drag stuff from one show to another for over a year because they are not going to budge on a few bucks.

My brother and I took a bunch of stuff to the swap meet for a few weekends when our grandfather passed away and grandma was moving. You can have a hell of time with people that walk buy and the other dealers around you. We made more money in the two hours before the grounds opened than we did on all but one or two days of hustling.

Sean
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Going with a buddy means you can get up and stretch, shop a bit, get some coffee and later get rid of it.
At least one of you will be at the table all the time.

Price to sell and the dealers will buy and mark up for their table. Win!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Thanks for the replys Guys. The price of the table is not a big deal. We are both retired and are looking at this as an opportunity to get rid of some stuff that we don't need and a way to burn a weekend. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

lightman
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jnyork
Another thing, if you think the dealers engage in bullschitt, wait until you are on the other side of the table. Yokels walking by can make the damnedest comments you can imagine. laugh

Like the time a guy was talking about a rifle he acquired that was from Hitler's personal collection, built by Hitler's personal gunsmith Mr. Oberndorf. It was even stamped with the 'smith's name...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lightman: I disagree with some here - $60.00 is a consideration for me on ANYTHING!
I attend 25+ gunshows a year and on several occasions each year I rent tables at said shows.
I began doing gunshows (renting tables) back in 1966 out in western Washington and table rent was $5.00 back then - so times have changed but not the fun, interest and occasional treasures being found aspect.
Already this year I have done gunshows in two states and done pretty well at them so far.
I say pay the rent - get there early, take turns tending the table with your buddies, troll around a lot and have fun.
I have made MANY wonderful and knowledgeable gun nut type friends over the past half century while doing gunshows and I hope you do so as well.
Next gunshow for me is five days out - can't wait!
I hope your $60.00 investment turns out to be money well spent.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (11point, 2500HD, 257 roberts, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 70 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,335
Posts18,468,659
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.