Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hey guys I know it's pretty early to start thinking about next year already but I'm looking for a place to deer hunt on up here for next year. I work in Woods County OK, and basically spend 9/10th of my life up here. I'm looking for somewhere to go on my few days off instead of sitting here waiting for the rig to move. If you guys know of anything around this general area to lease please let me know. Thanks

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
If you want a free place try the Canton Lake area. It is on the northern borders of Dewey and Blaine Counties just south of the southern tip of Woods County. Lotta public access last I knew and if you avoid season opening weekends you will probably have a lot of area to yourself. Try an area where the river flows in into the lake bordered by private farm land. I have worked with a couple guys who took good bucks outta there. Do a little homework and I bet you find a good free area there. I admit I have not hunted there so things may have changed but I think there is still a good deal of public land to hunt there. One of the guys I work with hunted and fished that lake area all the time and loves it up there. Sizable population of hogs there too. Just a suggestion. Welcome to Oklahoma and good luck with your search.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks buddy I'll look into it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Drummond Flats is also public access southwest of Enid in Garfield county, and my son has hunted quail there and seen some really big bucks.

I own a small place in Alfalfa county, and in the 14 years I've hunted up there, it seems lease places get harder to find (for whatever reason). The place I first hunted on was in Woods county north of Alva on the state line, and we never killed anything big there. My brother did see a giant walking out one evening though. I live in Texas but have quit deer hunting here. NW OK has spoiled me.
Here is my 2014 and 2015 bucks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good Luck with your search.

Last edited by retrieverman; 01/26/16.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
summit sitter, you may well be in a very unique position as you could have access to landowners the rigs sit on. You might give that a try. Meet the land owner and see if there is a way you could gain permission to hunt. Being a life long Oklahoman, I know there are landowners who will grant permission if asked but don't take well to trespassers.
There is also a book published by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation that lists public land. It might be available online or ordering. Finally, go to the local Coop and offer to help landowners with some work in exchange for permission to hunt. This might work as well.
Good luck and welcome to Oklahoma.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Sorry I should have also addressed Kansas. I am a native Kansan transplanted to OK 18 years ago for my job. I still go back to southwest Kansas every year to deer and pheasant hunt. I had a lifetime license before I left Kansas and am therefore considered a resident. If you are not a resident n Kansas deer hunting can be expensive and you will need to apply for a draw I believe. You may want to check the regulations. But do try it Kansas is an awesome place to hunt. Also, get online with Kansas dept of wildlife and get a Walk In Hunting Atlas. There are thousands of acres enrolled in the walk in hunting program. Each county is shown and it is all usually pretty well marked,at least where I hunt. It is all usually CRP ground and I have shot a couple nice deer in walk in hunting areas. It is definitely worth the look. Lotta public land in Kansas through this program. More in some areas than others get the atlas or look online and you will see. Also check the regs about draws and non resident tags. There are deadlines I believe. I haven't really looked in several years at the regs for out of state hunters.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the information guys

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (358WCF, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 23 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,645
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.