-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 200 Partitions from almost any .30 caliber work great. Have you chronographed yours? I get 2700 fps from my 30-06, which works fantastic, but see in the new Rifle magazine that Mule Deer gets over 3100fps with his 300 Wby.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChetAF
Originally Posted by utah708
If I was a CEO-type bazillionaire who wanted to fly around the world whacking big critters, rather than playing tinker toys with factory rifles, I suspect D'Arcy's guns would be in my case.

I don't think someone needs to be a bazillionaire to own one of D'Arcy's rifles. It is just a matter of how you prioritize the money you spend. I am a civil servant and for most of my career I have made less than $50,000 a year. I have Echols Legends in .270 Winchester, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Wby Mag, .338 Win Mag and .416 Rem Mag. It took me 10 years to get them, and I only have four other rifles in my safe, but I don't really find myself hankering for other rifles for some reason. grin

I do not golf, water ski, snowmobile, own a bass boat or a gigantic diesel redneck limo on 38" mud tires with a tacky sticker in the back window. I hunt and enjoy doing so with the best equipment I can get my hands on.

Come to think of it, that is what my Grandfather always said, "Buy the best quality you can afford, and then take care of what you buy and you will never be left wanting"........he was a pretty smart guy. cool

Chet

It would be a little more difficult to do at the going rate of a Legend these days. How many people spend over 25% of their income on a hunting rifle, much less five of them.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
458 Win, would you use this load on Brown Bear as a trophy Hunter? Nosler's reloading manual lists IMR 4831 at 71gr pushing 2972fps wiht 200 gr. Partitions in the .300 Win Mag.

Or would you pack a 416 Rem. Mag with 350 gr. bullets if that's what your next largest rifle's cartridge was?

Ralphie's rifle looks great.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Ralphie
It is a 300 win mag. 200 partitions. I don't think I'd change anything.

Yes, curious also as to what actual load or velocity you're getting.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I had to pick a single rifle for the bulk of North American BG, it would be like Ralphies rifle in 300 Win Mag. I'd have DArcy or Gene Simillion build it and wouldn't blink at the cost of either one.A Simillion is very similar to a Legend.

I've blown more than the cost of either screwing around with lesser stuff.My Simillion 7mm Mashburn is the best I've owned,and was built so that it could be a 300 Win Mag if I ever get unhappy with the Mashburn. All it takes is a new barrel.

Both are "lifetime" rifles.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Myth !!! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
458 Win, would you use this load on Brown Bear as a trophy Hunter? Nosler's reloading manual lists IMR 4831 at 71gr pushing 2972fps wiht 200 gr. Partitions in the .300 Win Mag.

Or would you pack a 416 Rem. Mag with 350 gr. bullets if that's what your next largest rifle's cartridge was?

Ralphie's rifle looks great.

For decades the 30-06 was the single most popular rifle carried by guides in Alaska and the current world record bear was taken with one. I even used my Lon Paul 30-06 to take this bear after a client had wounded it. I have posted this photo many times but it shows the size of critter we are talking about. And the largest bodied bear any of my clients have taken was more than 300 pounds heavier than this bear and was taken with a single shot from a 300 WM and 180 gr Partitions.

[Linked Image]

I would prefer to see a client show up with a 30-06 or 300 loaded with 200 Partitions than with a 416 simply because most folks, if they are honest with themselves, shoot a 30 caliber better than a 416.
But if given a choice between a .300 with Partitions and a 416 for sorting out a wounded bear I would feel better with the 416.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RDFinn
The Myth !!! grin

Ha! Yeah...."myth". i don't think so. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Maybe it'll never happen, but I do look forward to the day to being able to have Gene or Echols build me that "one" awesome rifle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm loading 70.5 grains of H4831. I have never chronographed that load in my rifle. Win brass and fed primer.

We did in several other Legends. A wag is somewhere around 2900 fps. Mine has a 25" barrel. That is a wag but I doubt there would be enough difference in the actual velocity to notice.

I'm not an experimenter or extreme tinkerer with handloading. When this rifle was built I was hoping to shoot 200 partitions. They shot good and they kill good. So I have no desire to change up my hand loads either.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ralphie

There was a post out lining some of the steps that were done to up grade a model 70 action to meet the requirements of the Legend actions.

Was this one of your post ? If so do you remember the name of the thread?

Great photos. I like the photo of the young hunter holding a Legend.

Hal

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0317/8397/files/EcholsLegend_6-5-2014-2.pdf?7163

Legend Standard Sporter

1. The heart of our Legend Rifle begins with a Winchester Model 70 action made from
either Chrome–Moly or Stainless Steel. Once inspected these actions are extensively
refined and modified.

2. The receiver threads are re-machined to 1.032 X 16 TPI. The recoil lug seats, recoil
lugs, receiver face and bolt face are re-machined and trued to remove any dimensional
run out from the factory. The recoil lugs and lug seats are then lapped to remove any
machine marks. A select grade chrome-moly or stainless steel barrel is then fit and
chambered to the action. Our chambering procedures assure that maximum accuracy
potential of the barreled action is realized. For the past 15 years the most popular
chambering’s for the Standard Legend’s have been the following: The 7mm Remington
Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum and thirdly the 300 H&H Magnum. These three
cartridges have proven time and time again their effectiveness around the world when
use for the smaller Antelopes up to and including the Elands and larger Moose species.
The international hunter is well served with these three cartridges. I keep an inventory of
these barrels in stock at all times and have these barrels contoured into specific weights
and lengths to further enhance the rifles final balance.

3. The underside of the action is re-machined to create a uniform bedding platform and
to accept a proprietary Echols & Co. heat-treated, stainless steel magazine box and
follower assembly. Our magazine assemblies are cartridge specific and allow our
magnum magazine box to hold one additional belted magnum round, giving the shooter
a total of five rounds instead of the usual four. This feature alone is almost unheard of in
any currently available factory or custom produced firearm. All of our Legends will be fit
with our Echols & Co. floor-plate and trigger bow assembly.

4. The receiver’s feed-ramp and guide rails are then modified to assure reliable cartridge
feeding. Our rifles have an established reputation for flawless reliability.

5. The ejection port is lengthened to allow easy access to magazine to permit ease in
loading. A spring steel extractor replaces the factory extractor and is properly fit to fully
utilize the advantages of the claw extractor system.

6. The trigger, ejector, and bolt stop are re-pinned to remove all undesirable looseness
or play. The sear engagement surfaces are machined to guarantee a consistent, crisp
trigger pull set at 3 lbs. The safety wing and bolt lock engagement is refined to ensure
smooth and positive manipulation of the safety. The factory sleeved bolt handle is then
pinned and soldered to the main bolt body to prevent any separation between the bolt
handle and bolt body permanently.

7. Then I install my two-piece scope mount system. This solid steel mount is available
for both 1” and 30 mm scopes, and features an integral base and lower ring halves that
are precision fit and secured to the action with 8x40 Torx head screws. This design
provides an exceptionally strong joint between the scope base and the action. The front
and rear bridges of the action are surface ground concentric to the centerline of the bolt
bore before the scope mount is installed. The ring I.D. is bored to the actual external
diameter of the scope tube, thus assuring a perfect mechanical fit with the scope. The
top half of the ring secures the scope in place with four 8x40 Torx head screws for each
ring. Done in this manner the scope tube is under no stress whatsoever. This unique
arrangement provides several important advantages:
 The scope base does not overhang the ejection port front or rear
 The scope can be mounted as close to the bore as possible
 This system eliminates the joint between the base and the ring, which can
become a significant weak link in the standard scope mount.
This is the only scope mount I have used that will prevent heavy 30 mm scopes from
sliding in the rings under severe recoil generated by such calibers as the 458 Lott. Our
scope mount system has a proven track record and is the only system we will install.
The customer should be aware that no other commercially made scope base will
fit our rifles and they cannot be replaced by any other factory scope mounts
currently on the market.

8. The Legend rifle is fitted with a synthetic stock of my own design that is the result of
over three decades of Classic rifle design and construction. It allows the shooter to
control heavy recoil and has the styling, feel and handling features of a best quality
French walnut sporter. This stock design fills a void in the current inventory of
commercially available synthetic sporter rifle stocks. McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Inc.
manufactures our stocks exclusively for D’Arcy Echols & Co. The Legend stock is
available in both left and right hand configuration. Either version features a straight
comb (with no drop from comb to heel), contemporary style cheek piece, functional
point-style checkering pattern, open grip, and cast “on” or “off” both at the toe and heel
depending on if the rifle is made for a left or right hand shooter. A 1” red or black recoil
pad is standard. The actions are pillar bedded with 3 separate pillars and the barrels are
free floated.

Length of pull is available from 13.5 ” to 15” as a standard feature. Factory trigger guard
and floor plate screws are replaced with high quality heat-treated Allen screws.
These stocks are available in the following solid colors: Black, Sage Green and Desert
Tan. We then add an additional flecked and spider webbed overspray of a contrasting
color to compliment the base color. A Camouflage pattern is also available that is based
on a combination of Black, Sage Green and Desert Tan. Pictures that show this effect
may be viewed on our website www.echolsrifles.com.

9. All the appropriate metal is carefully hand polished, bead blasted, wire wheeled and
then caustic immersion blued. Unless other wise requested any Legend made with
stainless steel hardware will be bead blasted and left a satin silver color.

10. The rifle is test fired at the range to confirm that feed, function, accuracy,
scope viability and safety requirements are completely met. A variety of factory
ammunition is used during testing to determine which ammunition delivers the best
accuracy for that particular rifle.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 01/07/16.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HalH
Ralphie

There was a post out lining some of the steps that were done to up grade a model 70 action to meet the requirements of the Legend actions.

Was this one of your post ? If so do you remember the name of the thread?

Great photos. I like the photo of the young hunter holding a Legend.

Hal

This is a good chance to clear something up. There have been posts talking about 82 steps that were done on the action alone to make them into Legends. This isn't true. The 82 steps is about what it takes to take a factory M70 turn it into a Legend ready to ship out to a client. There is a lot more that goes into these than just work done on the receiver itself.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Ralphie, as I was reading through Echols' blog I noticed it mentioned a few instances where the shop sells pre-owned Legends from time to time. Any idea how often this occurs?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No I don't have a good idea. I'd call D'Arcy about it and tell him you are interested in one if it becomes available.

Ive seen them in the shop at least several times.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks. My friend tried the 200 gr partitions out of his Model 70 (24" barrel) and he's getting 2870-ish FPS. You're likely right on with your load producing a little over 2900 FPS with a 25" barrel.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.