Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For those interested, the pre-855,000 Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge were built on the 20 gauge frame (i.e. they shared a lightweight frame). They are nice guns.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the 16. Used to shoot a few birds with my dad's old Ithaca 37 in 16 gauge and recently bought this one from FieldGrade.

(Dakota Deer, just looked at my dad's 37 and it is 352,xxx serial number. Very light shotgun and great to carry but I have never been able to consistently hit birds with it. The full choke probably doesn't help.)

Ammo is available in our one little shop and you can even find it in one of the three gas stations in town.

6.25lbs of sweetness.

[Linked Image]

Fancy ammo even shows up in the mail.
(Ole's recommendation of nickel plated #5's...)

[Linked Image]

But of course it only works on gentlemen's hunts...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 02/13/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Sam.....have you tried any of those PMC 6's I sent you....how do you like them....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Charlie, don't think I have. They are on top of the safe in the 'ammo pile' and must have got covered up. Too much chit and I can't even remember what or where!

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I like 16s and own several.

I've been hearing for many years what a 'hassle' it is to find 16 ga. ammo, and how much more expensive it is compared to other gauges. I've never had any trouble finding 16 ga. shells, though there isn't the variety of loads available that there is in 12s and 20s. Up until the last 3 or so years I never felt the price differential was all that significant if you compared high-brass 16s to high-brass 12s and 20s, or 16 ga. 'field' loads to 12 or 20 ga. 'field' loads. However, in the ammo shortages of the last couple of years, I've noticed the prices of 16 ga. factory ammo has become significantly higher than equivalent 12s or 20s, and I have to suspect some retailers are charging those higher prices simply because they believe people expect 16s to be more expensive.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can get Herter's brand 16's at Cabela's right now for $52.99 case price for 6's, $54.99 a case for 8's.

You won't find it any cheaper unless you can get free shipping with a coupon.

I used the 6's on preserve pheasants and they worked great!

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yup.....think it's almost the perfect shotgun when built on a 16 gauge frame.
[Linked Image]

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I was about 12 and starting to hunt, I begged for a 16 ga. model 12 with a 28" barrel and a modified choke.. Never got it.. I have often thought how things would be if I had got that shotgun..

In a few years, when I could buy my own shotgun, I went for a 12.. Have had everything but a 16!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own a few shotguns in 12, 16 and 20 gàuge that are within an ounçe or two of 6 lbs and àll of them are a decent fit. I shoot the same one ounce load in all of them for hunting.

If someone asked which killed better I couldn't tell them because they all seem to work just fine. The light 12 feels more at home chasing grouse and woodcock with it's 25" barrels but shines on pheasants over pointers. I started with a 16 gà ànd use it for everything from snipe to çoyotes(in a drilling) ànd all my upland 16s have 28" barrels feel better in open country. The 20s have long and short barrels ànd seem to work everywhere.

I shoot the 12 gauges most at clays just because it is easier to load for.

5hat didn't help much did it.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Love all my sixteens. A whole safe full of them. And a new A-5 on order.

People ask me why I shoot sixteens.
I tell them its so they can't bum shells off of me.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jetjockey
I find it's easier to call RST and have a flat delivered to my front steps than it is to weed through all the chit shells the box stores sell. It doesn't get any easier to buy shells than a 2 minute phone call. Hell, I don't even need to put my beer down.

You've had better luck with RST than I have. I've tried for three years to get them to return a phone call or email and to date, despite multiple attempts on my part, have never been contacted by them. I have tried their "notify me" feature on their website several times in an effort to get some of their non toxic loads. To no avail I might add. I gave up and figured they were out of business. If they aren't they should be with that kind of customer care.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RST loaded NICE shot it hasn't been availible for a couple of years. I load ITX for my waterfowl and non-toxic upland. Bismuth is available.

Any other loads are readily available by mail order, I keep a couple of cases of Herters 8s a4ound but I do that with my 12 & 20 also. I haven't bought a box of shotgun shells in a store for years.

RIO is loading Bismuth 16 ga shells in 4&6 plus Hevi Shot loads there Classic Doubles in a non-toxic round.

Last edited by erich; 03/05/16.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Depending on what I am hunting-I have use for the 20,16,and 12.Just like I don't like to use one rifle caliber for everything.It seems like the younger generation has no interest in the 16 gauge and I am seeing more deals for these shotguns then in the past.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by erich
RST loaded NICE shot it hasn't been availible for a couple of years. I load ITX for my waterfowl and non-toxic upland. Bismuth is available.

Any other loads are readily available by mail order, I keep a couple of cases of Herters 8s a4ound but I do that with my 12 & 20 also. I haven't bought a box of shotgun shells in a store for years.

RIO is loading Bismuth 16 ga shells in 4&6 plus Hevi Shot loads there Classic Doubles in a non-toxic round.

I have some of the Classic doubles and Rio Bismuth for my old guns and reload ITX and bismuth as well. All good stuff for keeping the old ones shooting.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
as it has been said they all have their place but when I grouse hunt I always use one of my 16 dbl's because game is scarce and I owe it to my setter's to do my part , 1 oz seems to have the shortest shot string, 16's cause illness so send yours to me and save yourself.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I posted this a few years ago on another forum but it's still true today regarding the 16 gauge.

A man who identifies himself as a 16 gauge shooter is instantly elevated in "coolness" in any firearms circle. It immediately signifies one as being of good taste and judgement. If the shooter's firearm happens to be a fine English or high grade American double wearing an exceptional piece of french walnut and bearing the evidence of much use but great care, he will be spoken of in reverential tones. The only shooters who could hope to rival him are those who shoot fine doubles in 28, short 10, and 2 1/2" 12 bore.

You will be found to be more interesting anywhere hunters and shooters gather. New shooters will instantly recognize you as the final word in all things shotgun. Women respond to men of good taste and refinement and will find you more attractive. Dogs are astute judges of character and will hunt better for you. In fact your best friend's dog may hunt better for you than him with his synthetic stocked jamamatic. Being a 16 gauge shooter, you are also gracious enough to hunt with him despite his lack of taste and character. You will essentially be the shooting fraternity's version of the world's most interesting man. cool grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are many shotgun gauges because there are so many shotgun uses!

Just like the rifle and handgun calibers.

The 16 is a little big for me in a double for upland. So many uses!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I definitely think 16's are the perfect upland gauge, although I like using my 20's for rabbits, 12's for ducks and 10's for geese....

Anyway this thread got me thinking about my 16's. I'm up to 15 in my head right now. I probably forgot at least 1 or 2. They just sorta show up and never leave!

Winchester Model 12 Skeet
Ithaca 37
LC Smith Feather Weight
Parker Trojan
A. Fox Late Style B
A. Fox Late Style A
A. Fox Sterlingworth ejector
A. Fox Sterlingworth ejector
A. Fox Sterlingworth
A. Fox Sterlingworth
A. Fox Sterlingworth
Samuel Buckley Damascus
French Guild Gun
English T. Wild Hammer Gun
Masquelier ejector

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Somewhere in this thread it was mentioned 12 & 20-s do as well as the 16. Agree on the 12. DO NOT agree on the 20. A 20 ga is pattern challenged no matter what you put in it.
That said, as far as breaking clays or killing game birds... putting the bird in the pattern supplants anything else for effectiveness. The effete little 410 is more deadly than a 3 1/2" 12 if you aren't on target with the 12 & are on with the 410.
BTW I have about a dozen 16-s, mod 31, mod 1897, mod 59 remmy, sportsman 48 remmy, belgian guild gun sxs, marlin 90, 3 mod 37 ith. & some strays around here...

"Carries like a 20, hits like a 12" works for me.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mart
I posted this a few years ago on another forum but it's still true today regarding the 16 gauge.

A man who identifies himself as a 16 gauge shooter is instantly elevated in "coolness" in any firearms circle. It immediately signifies one as being of good taste and judgement. If the shooter's firearm happens to be a fine English or high grade American double wearing an exceptional piece of french walnut and bearing the evidence of much use but great care, he will be spoken of in reverential tones. The only shooters who could hope to rival him are those who shoot fine doubles in 28, short 10, and 2 1/2" 12 bore.

You will be found to be more interesting anywhere hunters and shooters gather. New shooters will instantly recognize you as the final word in all things shotgun. Women respond to men of good taste and refinement and will find you more attractive. Dogs are astute judges of character and will hunt better for you. In fact your best friend's dog may hunt better for you than him with his synthetic stocked jamamatic. Being a 16 gauge shooter, you are also gracious enough to hunt with him despite his lack of taste and character. You will essentially be the shooting fraternity's version of the world's most interesting man. cool grin

Mart, great synopsis....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.