-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cow movie was a snap, opened the gates followed them home, they were thru the calving pasture and into the upper corrals before I got the gates closed....

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd say that's a good omen, and bodes well.

....gotta' love older, well fed stock.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They was all bunched up about 1/4 mile south of the gate when we got there, left the gate open ran thru and counted them, shut the solar pump off and away they went. Never left the trail , got to the road crossed it went thru the gate, and we were still 1/2 mile behind them...
Got to love them home raised 1 iron gals.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
3. The question of who chambered it first stirs up some controversy

Not really,...The BRITS did,....called it the .450 x 3 1/4 Express or some such.
SAME case, lighter bullets, lazier (and sane) twist rates, single and double guns, some VERY high end "Majarajah Class".
...popular in India and Africa for a BRIEF while,...and a source of grief when Cordite and White Powder rounds in the same dimensional spec. came along.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got any azzkicker 32-40 loads?

www.historicshooting.com
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Are all those empty loops about how many shots it took before getting a hit ?

bwa-ha

GTC

eek Full cartridge belts look really cool when all you're doing is standing around playing circle jerk with your cool guys at the "club", but when you're out there walking the hills carrying a 12b rifle,,, a full belt gets a wee bit heavy, so instead of carrying a lifetime supply, a 10-15 year supply is much easier on the ol bod.. cool

Some years ago I found a waist holster with all the loops stuffed perfectly acceptable for a RSB. Some time passed and the rig started pulling my pants down, that being awkward to say the least. I notice most times in movies they have loops filled when the belts are hanging on shoulders rather than waists larger than hips. Beer and extra tacos will do that to a fella.

I don't sport around much with belt looped ammo these days. But if I did it would be hangin' on a shoulder.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Nope,...puzzy "Target Shooters" like me stick to the smaller stuff.

My 25-20 has given me a terrible flinch.

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nope,...puzzy "Target Shooters" like me stick to the smaller stuff.My 25-20 has given me a terrible flinch.GTC

You made me choke on my coffee! laugh

Lemme see, 8 Bore, 220gr Fg, 2+ oz lead slug... IIRC, when you touched off the first of those loads, it lifted your left foot off of the ground and the muzzle of that Settler's Gun was at ~40 degrees elevation. Somewhere around here I have a pic of you firing that "puzzy load". shocked laugh

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 02/13/16.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's the shot that finished me off,....kinda' like Baker's 4 bore screwed up his equilibrium.

Hones,...these days I confine myself to gallery loads and 22 CB shorts.

Even "Velocitors" and "Stingers" start bothering me,....I start weeping and drooling, and have developed an interesting nervous tic.

Honest, this is the worst flinch imaginable....the only thing that seems to help is judicious quantities of Quality Adult beverages.

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
....the only thing that seems to help is judicious copious quantities of Quality Adult beverages. GTC

Fixed it. laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not at this time, Ed,....judicious IS the operative word,...there's just to damned MUCH going on to even consider "partying".
Will be unloading this "new /old" tool grinder in the PM , Mañana,...and will post some pics.
The HEART , and very SOUL of quality mold making, Barrel drilling, reaming, rifling STARTS with having the capacity to hold some pretty close tolerances. Hell, it's the foundation for just about ANY custom shop , working in hard metals, making ANYTHING.
"Abrasive Machining" has been around for ,....oh, a coupla' three millenia.
It's not "Rocket Science"
.....that don't mean you'll find foot driven stones, or water powered overhead line shafts powering up the lathes and mills at Shilo's plant, or any other contemporary shop that plays in the vintage / historic arms arena.
The recent "Original Sharps barrel re-birth" stunt has been a tremendous motivator, and was timed just right on the heels of getting that lumberjack's rolling block rifle into its' family's hands.
Shopping a second (bigger) lathe, as I peck.
Drinkin' any more than proper analgesic requirements, and
frost preventative methodologies dictate would not be wise, at this time.
Crap,...over-indulgence might see one again running something big enough to spin out ML artillery barrels.
BTW,....that Mountain Howitzer is STILL for sale,...at the RIGHT price.....to the RIGHT team, or person.

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Just yankin' yer chain, compadre. grin

No one can pull off the metallurgical marvels that you do with copious quantities of any adult beverage on board.

I can't wait to see the next installment of the Sharps job. I'm also very glad you are back in your groove. wink

Speaking of spinning another tube, how big a lathe are you looking for?
I've recently seen a monster (to me) lathe (8' bed?) sitting in a local welding shop that hasn't seen hard work in a long time.
I couldn't get close enough to get the make/model. I do know the owner and he takes pride in taking care of his tools. He inherited the shop from his Dad. His Dad had built the shop after getting out of the military, planning on being an oilfield machine shop with some minor welding jobs.
The area had different ideas and they became a welding shop with an occasional machine job.

Ed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ed a 16 X 96 would be leaning into the "largest" realm,...
Any larger swing should really call out a longer distance between center / bed length.
I LOVED that old 20 X 80 Summit I had at the old (big) shop,....even if it did work a man half to death,....but if I ever get into that size machine again,....I'll damn sure want it LONGER.

That said, an ACTIVE search is in progress, so anything that you can send regarding likely candidates most appreciated.

Not just Smoke wagons,....this "Cochise Pump" project looks like a good play, and COULD be a fine line of small production work.

GTC

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Enjoying this thread, Crossfire, heard you mention the Farmingdale 120 Yup I had an early Wolf gun, 120, it shot ok but I had to clean the barrel after every shot! was a 16lb rifle if I rember right! I got the rifle for $900.00 at the time , late 80s, gun looked great, and was a big ass Sharps, I tried everything I could read at the time I knew No one that shot Blacck powder Cart. then. Read The Dukes stuff in shooting time Mag. No CPs then or internet! I couldnt champer another round , without a full cleaning! I read down the road that the chambers were Very tight! after a summer of messing with it I sold it at a gun show for 900.00 and never looked back! my next one was a C Sharps in 45-70 worked fine! Congrads to the guy with the New 120 sounds like your doing fine and the Net has alot of help you just have to ask!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Follow up....

Got out to the range recently and applied some of the know-how gleamed from you folks.

Namely:

1. Did not size or trim brass
2. Applied just enough crimp to hold the bullet in place
3. Ran a cotton patch through every three shots
4. Positioned myself more upright on the shooting bench

Loads were as before with 105 gr GOEX, 545 gr boolits, and CCI mag primers with a 0.060" veggie wad

This is ten rounds at 100...~5" CTC Still nothing to write home about, but a significant improvement over the first time out.

More bullets recently arrived in the mail and once I can load them and get out, I will continue the R&D. Looking forward to some more experimentation with the blow tube and additional fouling management.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Run a damp patch on a jag or brush thru the bore after every shot and you'll see more improvement.

www.historicshooting.com
M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Ranch, I'll give that a try.

Question: Should I run just one wet patch per shot or multiple? Leave the bore wet or push a dry cloth through on a jag or brush?

Earlier you suggested using a mix of water and cutting oil on a jag and then drying the bore with a 410 mop. What is the science behind adding the oil?

I did order some mops so as to give that a try as well.

Thanks again for the pointers.

M1919

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the patches are just barely damp, no dry patch would be needed.
The number of patches will largely depend on ambient temperature and humidity. 2 should be sufficient for most conditions.
Bore condition consistency is what you're after.

www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How you treat your bore depends on several factors, one of which is the ambient temp and humidity. Barrel length is another. Shooting here in a hot dry desert climate presents a real challenge, and wiping is the order of the day. Blowing through a tube just doesn't introduce enough moisture.

There is no true "science" behind it. My sense of the value of a bit of soluble oil is that it keeps the bore moist and the fouling soft. Especially with a hot barrel, plain water evaporates almost immediately. Accuracy, preventing leading, and possibly chambering ease are the goals.

If you are pushing dry flakes out the muzzle, you need more moisture. Also, watch the lube star at the muzzle. Soft and greasy is good, hard and black not.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

A bit late in the game here, but I find it humorous that Kirk at Shiloh will encourage owning and shooting howitzers like that 45-120, but when it comes to BPCR, he mostly shoots a 40-65.

It seems as though some rifles is meant for shooting, while others is meant for selling...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 219DW, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 48 invisible), 1,833 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,185
Posts18,465,676
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.