Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well here goes....

After lots of reading, talking (listening) to folks, hesitation, and cold starts.....I'm finally ready to try my hand at Black Powder.

The good folks up in Big Timber gave me just the nudge I needed to put together my first loads for my Long Range Express in 45-120.

A couple of $$ later and some other folks at Buffalo Arms shipped me some GOEX Fg, 0.060" veggie fiber wads, and a few 545 gr boolits.

I'm planning on getting to the range tomorrow to see how it does.

Is there any advice you Gentleman may have on shooting this rifle?

I have two loads to try - one with 110 gr and one with 105. In both cases, I have the base of the bullet seated against the wad and the ogive is kissing the lands. Powder is compressed 0.250" and 0.125" respectivly. COAL with this combo is 4.080"

Thanks

Last edited by m1919; 02/08/16.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hold FIRMLY to your shoulder!!! 105-110 grains wid a 545 will ROCK your world!! My favorite cruelty!! MY 45/110 with 105 grains and a 540 PP fired by my brother (who didn't listen)
[Linked Image]

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Sound advice Twin....I'll take it!

Couple pics of the product and the rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any idea how the recoil from these loads will compare to full test 500 grain loads in a 458 WM?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Recoil impulse is heavy but slower than a modern hard kicker. The rifle you have appears to be about 14 lbs which will dampen recoil pretty well. Best to shoot off of buffler sticks (like in the pic). Benchresting one of these animals gets a LOT of attention!!

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by m1919

[Linked Image]

I'd seriously consider this down the road !! grin

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So far your biggest problem is this:

45-120

Last edited by Sharpsman; 02/09/16.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I liked my 45-120, it was a shootin sombitch, too bad some sack washing sacrilege homeo was shooting light loads of smokeless in it and rung the chamber! mad

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Any idea how the recoil from these loads will compare to full test 500 grain loads in a 458 WM?

Lovely rifle smile

I have a couple big bore Ruger #1's, including a .458, which I've benched with 500gr loads running about 2000 fps. It's about 9 lbs as it is. Recoil is worse than my .45-90 Sharps, which is a little over 10 lbs. I have the shotgun buttplate, like your rifle. Like ET said, the modern gun is harder and faster.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well, since you all were good enough to provide some free advice, I figure I can say thanks by providing you with some comic relief....with pics from my first BP experience!

Target was set at 100 yds.

After firing my first three shots with the 105 gr loads that landed near the top edge of the target, I made a slight adjustment to the sight and fired seven more. All landed in the black.....not impressed, but I was not overly disappointed either.

[Linked Image]

New target and on to the 110 gr loads.

This is where it goes to heck...

[Linked Image]

First shot was just off the X, second shot was at 12 O'clock, third shot was lower but in the black. The next five shots were all way low and all over the map!!!
I was still having fun, but the good feeling was fading.

I then remembered reading about guys running a dry patch through every few shots.

A few dry patches later, back to the 105s, and I put three high at the 11 O'clock. I was surprised that a couple swipes of a patch not only gave me a reasonable three shot group, but the point of impact from the previous several shots went up approx. 8"

[Linked Image]

Fired a few more that again went 6"-8" low and several inches left and right of center and decided to call it a night.

Fired a total of 28 before it got too dark to see.

Looks like I have a bit to learn here.

IC B3

M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks fellas for the compliments on the rifle. Despite my less than stellar session at the range, I am looking forward to the next time I can get out and try it again.

I will say this regarding the recoil. I was pleasantly surprised. My #1 in 458 kicks much harder from the bench than this one does. I'm not sure I would want to do 28 rounds with the #1. I left today not feeling any real discomfort.

It was exactly like Twin said....more of a push. Completely agree tex, the 458 IS harder and faster!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
C. Sharps builds a really FINE rifle, and yours is trying to do it's job, in spite of a GLARING omission.

That last three shot group shows TREMENDOUS promise, but how does one, "advise" when faced with a complete lack of little individual details that make up the WHOLE, if you're going to discuss "Group Size", and in terms of the fundamentals of running a BPCR ?

Lets just all forget about this silly recoil shibolith, move on, and address FOULING MANAGEMENT..... wink

I then remembered reading about guys running a dry patch through every few shots.
blush blush blush

Missing,.....

*No details re: Ambient temps
*No details re: Wind
*No details re: position Sticks , prone / sitting
*No details re: position Bench, what rest, and WHERE
*No details Re: Bullet Lubricant
*No details re: Patches / Patch Material (other than dry)
*No details re: Wet patching, and with what potion
*No details re: Jag Sizing
*No details Re: Fouling pushed out between shots / groups
*No detail Re: final clean up
*No detail re: Blowtube ?

Provided with these details, there are likely a host of little adjustments to advise / comment on.

Congrats on your first time out, and will be looking for some more great targets again soon !

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/09/16.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope you took no offense with the train car loads of black as several of us here shoot and enjoy our 110's with your identical loads.BTW I forgot to add that rifle sure is a thing of beauty! wink

I'm not one to give advice as I've only been in the BPCR bizz a few years myself and certainly can't fill the big shoes that reside here but one thing to keep in mind, a quote from buddy ET " don't try to reinvent the wheel."

There's no special magic or voodoo that makes this old technology tick just sound repetitious loading technique with proper fouling management as Crossfire points out.

I send alot of rounds downrange every year so the other piece of advice if I may..shoot a ton if you can as the old saying "Practice makes perfect" is most applicable to ones success.... ENJOY keep us posted on your journey!!!

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We were having some of the classic ".45-120 accuracy Blues" here some years back with an original Farmingdale LRE.

The simple addition of:

A.) ceramic media case cleaning
B.) NO neck sizing,...push fit / thumb seat

to the program sees that rifle now among the more accurate in this area.

More case length = more column drag = higher ES

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/09/16.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
No offense taken Woody. I'm here to shoot, learn, and have fun.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

grin Velcomm to der Darkside!! grin The REAL bug hits ya when you start to learn and use paper patched slug, then you will likely wish you had taken a shot of heroin instead. Less habit forming and cheaper! grin grin

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

grin Velcomm to der Darkside!! grin The REAL bug hits ya when you start to learn and use paper patched slug. Less habit forming and cheaper! grin grin

A big PP flying brick on top of his 120 would be most impressive! grin

Woody
M
m1919 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Crossfire - some additional details:

Rifle - Shiloh Sharps Long Range Express, 34" barrel

Loads:

RCBS 45 Basic brass @3.255"
CCI LR Magnum primers
Brass tumbled in SS pins with Dawn dish soap and water
Full length sized in RCBS dies
Flash holes deburred and primer pockets uniformed
All powder charges weighed to nominal +0/ -0.5gr. Dropped through 3/8" dia 24" long drop tube and compressed with compression plug under a 0.060" veggie wad to kiss the base of the bullet.
Bullets were 545gr 0.458" dia SPG lubed 20-1 alloy

Shooting conditions:

Ambient temperature was ~65f, humidity ~70%
Shot from a solid bench, sandbags front and rear, barrel resting on bags just ahead of the forend
Dry cotton patch's were run through on a loop...my jag was not available at the time. Yea, it came out pretty dirty the first few two patches. The third and final patch was only lightly soiled. The second cleaning a few rounds later did not produce quite as dirty a patch.
My "blow tube" was an oversized straw. I blew one full breath through immetietly after each shot.

Final clean up of brass was with hot soapy water in a milk jug....with agitation and several cold water rinses.

Rifle was cleaned at the end of the day with hot soapy water, a loop and a jag, untill no more residue then the bore was coated with CVA Slick Treatment.

Can you elaborate on the use of ceramic media? I have used walnut shells and pins for metallic cartridges, but never ceramic (at least not for reloading).

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i'm new to BPCR so i have nothing to say to help you at all but......that is an insanely good looking rifle you have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gonna' be working late in the shop,....just playing catch up on a beer break.

Thought that was a C.Sharps,....based on the case colors,...a beaut, regardless, I love em' all ( other than the "Dark Valley Dagos")

Will be back, and elaborate ,....or maybe dig up some old writings on ceramic media,....

For the non,....suffice it to say that I don't CARE what the exterior of my cases look like,...as long as I can see a mirror polish INSIDE of em, and the exterior will feed and extract smoothly,...

If your cases have not been ANNEALED, ...QUIT TRIMMING !

ANNEAL, FIREFORM, and THAN check your case lengths.
...than maybe think about parking the dies,...let your SHOOTING do the sizing, and load "Old School"....whether Greasers or Slicks,....an awful lot of good shooting is going on with brass that NEVER sees anything but a powder compression die.

Later,

GTC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
710 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.