Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've always enjoyed David's wit, but a few recent posts on his F&S blog have me wondering how much real world experience the guy really has.

First he eluded to the fact that variable scopes are just about as reliable as fixed powers.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...-suppressors-and-the-ideal-elk-caliber-1

Now I guess in David's defense, he does state that he's only broken one scope "because" it was a variable, but that still seems like a strange statement.

Then he said that the .325 WSM would not be well suited for killing elk at 500 yards. My thoughts are, if you can't hit an elk with a .450 BC bullet (Nosler Accubond) at 2900+ fps at 500 yards, the problem lies not in the cartridge.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...und-copper-bullets-and-gadgets-gone-wild

Now again, in David's defense, he points out that .338 bullets are better, which is true. And he doesn't exactly discount the .325. But he seems to be discouraging the reader from using it. I agree the .338's are better LR elk rounds, but I don't think the difference shows up at the 500 yard mark.

Has the guy spent more time at the keyboard than the trigger?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To quote the second article:

Q: Is the .325 WSM an effective elk round up to 500 yards, assuming the shooter is practiced and capable? —Karl W. Blanchard Jr., Joplin, Mo.

A: Do you mean will it kill an elk quickly at 500 yards? Of course. Would it be my first choice for a 500-yard elk rifle? Nope. I can’t think of any first-rate, aerodynamic 8mm bullets that are available for it, which is a major consideration at that kind of yardage. There are, on the other hand, lots of them in .338.

What is your issue?

He allows, it will work, but admits, it is not his first choice.

This argument he goes on to strengthen - by your own admission, with validity.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've never had a problem with a modern (last 20 years) variable. They work well and stand up to a lot of abuse. I can break one if I try, but I can also do the same with a fixed power scope.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The idea that a variable power scope is somehow less reliable is an old myth that surfaces from time to time. All of my hunting rifles are equipped with variable power scope, haven't experienced any problems with them what so ever. I cannot speak about the .325 WSM however I have used the .338 WM on elk almost exclusively, the old 275gr. Speer RN bullet was as reliable a bullet as I ever used on elk. Never lost a single animal, most never went more than a few steps.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've often thought he did a lot of hunting at his keyboard as well...I don't care much for his style of writing, nor his opinions on a number of issues, which don't seem well thought out.

The only time I read his drivel is in the waiting room at my doctor's office when I have no other choice.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Scope thing aside, he is a 338 fan, so he's just making a case for his preference IMO. His advice and opinions are just that, take it or leave it, he often gives me a laugh.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't take long to find the problem. A blog on Field&Stream.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
O
O
Hmmmm................. what a bunch of drivel. That is my opinion of this topic.
Does my opinion matter? Exactly!

No my opinion means squat. Have several hunters that use the .325 WSM exclusively these days............. and I see what they do with it. I am a .338 guy, used the .338 cartridges for 45 years.

Real world experience............ in who's opinion?

Yours? And what is your claim to fame?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ready
To quote the second article:

Q: Is the .325 WSM an effective elk round up to 500 yards, assuming the shooter is practiced and capable? —Karl W. Blanchard Jr., Joplin, Mo.

A: Do you mean will it kill an elk quickly at 500 yards? Of course. Would it be my first choice for a 500-yard elk rifle? Nope. I can’t think of any first-rate, aerodynamic 8mm bullets that are available for it, which is a major consideration at that kind of yardage. There are, on the other hand, lots of them in .338.

What is your issue?

He allows, it will work, but admits, it is not his first choice.

This argument he goes on to strengthen - by your own admission, with validity.

Sounds like ol' Dave was spot on.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
djs and gunswizard,

No, most 1" variable scopes are not as reliable as fixed powers, because they have more moving parts, which have to be relatively small since they're crammed into a relatively small tube. They work well enough for most shooting, most of the time, but over the years I've had 16 brands of scopes (not individual scopes) fail on my rifles, and at least 95% were variables, some costing over $1000.

The scopes on the rifles my wife and I own, right now, are just about 50/50 split between variables and fixed, because of our numerous experiences with variables that failed.

Sometimes these failures were deliberately induced, by mounting the scopes on rifles of .300 magnum or larger, which makes a definite difference. But many were never mounted on any rifle that kicked harder than a .257 Roberts, yet still went wonky.

The major exceptions are the very rugged 30mm-tubed variables (often called "tactical" scopes) offered by many companies these days. They're reinforced in the right places, and often screwed together with thread-locker so parts don't vibrate loose. But they're built very differently than the average 1" 3-9x.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
djs and gunswizard,

No, most 1" variable scopes are not as reliable as fixed powers, because they have more moving parts, which have to be relatively small since they're crammed into a relatively small tube. They work well enough for most shooting, most of the time, but over the years I've had 16 brands of scopes (not individual scopes) fail on my rifles, and at least 95% were variables, some costing over $1000.

The scopes on the rifles my wife and I own, right now, are just about 50/50 split between variables and fixed, because of our numerous experiences with variables that failed.

Sometimes these failures were deliberately induced, by mounting the scopes on rifles of .300 magnum or larger, which makes a definite difference. But many were never mounted on any rifle that kicked harder than a .257 Roberts, yet still went wonky.

The major exceptions are the very rugged 30mm-tubed variables (often called "tactical" scopes) offered by many companies these days. They're reinforced in the right places, and often screwed together with thread-locker so parts don't vibrate loose. But they're built very differently than the average 1" 3-9x.

Agreed.

Should add I think Petzel has hunted around a fair amount and shot a lot of animals. I know he was a 340 Weatherby fan,and also liked the 280,from his writings as I recall.

I like him and his acerbic,sometimes caustic wit.... grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/10/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I like Dave's wit in his writings.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
First off - I'm not familiar with Mr. Petzal even tho I know about him. I QUIT mag subscriptions a long time ago and F&S was the FIRST one dropped along w/O L.

Originally Posted by gunswizard
The idea that a variable power scope is somehow less reliable is an ___old myth___ that surfaces from time to time. All of my hunting rifles are equipped with variable power scope, haven't experienced any problems with them what so ever.

I TOTALLY agree that it is an old MYTH. I also think that yrs ago variables WERE NOT as reliable as fixed Xs. I once had a fixed 6X but it's been SO LONG I don't remember what brand.

This "myth" is still alive here on the 'fire'. I have & use 3 Bushnell "Banner" 4-12 X 40 scopes that I bought in the 80s--that's 1980s. I used 2 of them this past deer season.

I have other 3-9s and 4-12s and NONE of them have given me any trouble. I'm reluctant to tell anyone this, but I will. In 2008 I bought a Win 70 WinLite 300 WM. It came w/a SIMMONS 3-9 Whitetail scope - their BOTTOM feeder. I "thot", I'll give it a try. Guess What? It never has shifted POI, it adjusts reliably, and I'm still 'trying' it. If It Ain't Broke..

So IME, the variables have proven themselves RELIABLE since 1980. I've never had a failure with any variable BUT-BUT I did WEAR 1 out. I put it on every hard kicking rifle that came along and used it for grouping & graphing. I STILL have it's carcass out of 'respect'. It EARNED its keep.

As to Mr. Petzal's statement about good aerodynamic 8mm bullets-
the 200 gr 8mm's have ABOUT the same BC as 270--130s. What's wrong with the NP 200 8mm bullet? I've seen pics of a couple of newer 8mm bullets that also QUALIFY as 'good'

These are MY OPINIONS based on MY EXPERIENCE.
YMMV

Jerry

edited - to correct 'spell check'-- whistle

Last edited by jwall; 02/09/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jerry, I think Mr Petzal tried to keep the bc comparison Apple's to Apple's between the .325 and .338.

And he didn't say anything was "wrong" with the .325, he just said it wasn't his first choice.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can put it this way. 20+ years ago I wildcatted a .350 Rem Mag to 8mm. The .325 WSM is nearly identical. I've used that cartrdige in Africa, Spain, France, and the lower 48.

Put me on the witness stand and I must give the .338 a slight edge in power. Slight, but not enough that any game you connect with will know the difference.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
smokey -

Okay - I'm just now back on line but I'm having to leave. I'll catch up w/ya later.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I enjoy Petzal's writing. I believe that his approach is to create conversation by use of a needle and that he enjoys his standing as a curmudgeon. I think that he realizes that there are viable opinions other than his own, which sets him apart from some writers of the past.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I dislike his writing. Blah.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Chacun à son goût.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
djs and gunswizard,

Agreed.

Should add I think Petzel has hunted around a fair amount and shot a lot of animals. I know he was a 340 Weatherby fan,and also liked the 280,from his writings as I recall.

I like him and his acerbic,sometimes caustic wit.... grin

I like Johnny Bwana's wit too ;-)

Recent ( Upcoming ) Optics Articles in April Guns,
by our Mr. Barsness touch on this very topic.

I have to agree that the 8mm doesn't have a lot of substantially constructed high BC bullets like the .338 calibre !

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.