Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Tailwater fisheries tend to proliferate tiny flies and patterns. These are Cutthroat caught on the Lamar in Yellowstone near the bank where small terrestrials are the key...

[Linked Image]

Yep. Although I enjoy Slough also and same tactics work.

[Linked Image]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs

Tailwater fisheries tend to proliferate tiny flies and patterns. These are Cutthroat caught on the Lamar in Yellowstone near the bank where small terrestrials are the key...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mine's bigger...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mine's bigger...

Must be the angle. grin cry

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I tie all my own flies. I use tons of mosquitoes, black foam ants (fun after a rain shower) and anything with a small bead for a nymph.

Parachute Adams and Elk Hair Cadis are pretty popular, but sometimes the fish are used to seeing them and go for other variations.

B
B
A few favorites? Sure. "Go to fly"? No way! You can probably cover 95% or more of Rocky Mountain fly fishing situations with a few nymphs and dries. But there are days when the fish won't touch the one fly that has always been your favorite fly for a given stream. It doesn't take THAT many flies to cover almost all the bases. Zebra Midge, Shop Vac, Pheasant Tail, Hare's Ear, Prince Nymph, Rubber Legs, Wooly Worms and Buggers for subsurface. Most should probably have bead heads. Parachute Adams, Royal Wulff, Royal Trude, Elk Hair Caddis, Stonefly, Hoppers and Ants for dries. And don't forget some soft hackles. Now you're set for most anything!

IC B2

B
B
And if the fish aren't buying what you're offering, slow down, stop and look around. Observe. Maybe the fish are trying to tell you what they want. The biggest mistake I make is fishing a fly that's not producing for too long before tying on something else. I have so much fun fishing that sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm trying to catch something! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by seal_billy
...Bluegills will eat a yellahammer when nothing else works anything.

Fixed it.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
One old go to fly is the Red Disco Midge #18. One that is becoming a favorite on still waters is the All Day Midge Emerger #18.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Any Hornberg #6 thru #12 depending on the size of the water and/or the size of the target fish.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Any Hornberg #6 thru #12 depending on the size of the water and/or the size of the target fish.

I like old school, too!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The bugger likely wins for most.

For dries the Elk Hair Caddis or an Adams

For nymphs the pheasant tail or a hairs ear

THIS!

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
The bugger likely wins for most.

For dries the Elk Hair Caddis or an Adams

For nymphs the pheasant tail or a hairs ear

Exactamundo.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cold freshwater. #6 red WOOL bodied bugger w/soft black tail and hackle counterwraped/ribbed w/copper wire

Warm freshwater- #4 3x fat dubbing loop tied olive rabbit bodied Dragon nymph w/matching pheasant tail hackle (big fly)

Cold saltwater Trey Combs various Sea Habit 1x-4x or chartreuse over white Clouser 2x

Warm saltwater-1x-10x Sea Arrow Squid or big damn white crystal chenille Bugger.

With these I've caught everything from 4" trout (as well as several of over 6#) up to 100# sails and lost striped marlin of over 120#

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
High mountain lake: Foam ant sometimes throw a San Juan off the back or a beadhead or a Mysis Shrimp

Freestone River: Mid-to-late summer: Parachute Adams as the dry with a beadhead dropper

Freestone River: Early summer with higher flows: Big Stimulator or a Madam X with a Pat's Rubberlegs dropper

Bigger river from a boat: Tandem streamers: Platte River Spider with a Thin Mint off the back. (lead core line helps)

Tailwater: Size 22 or 24 small and black/brown with plenty of weight to get it down, early spring and fall-peg an egg and put the Size 22 or 24 behind it about 9".

A couple of close friends are pros and I'm within a quick call of knowing exactly what to use and where to go. However, this is my usual play book without expert knowledge from a recent trip.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 06/03/16.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Number 14 hairs ear nymph. Beaded, double drop or behind a hopper.

Last edited by Coyote10; 07/17/23.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
For wild trout : Parachute Adams , soft hackle hares ear

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
What about a Fan-Wing Royal Coachman tied on a 20?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For trout something in a smaller white or black pattern. I tie my own so don’t know names.
Bass would be deer hair minnow.
Muskie a game changer.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’m pretty obsessed with big brook trout in Adirondack ponds. Along with the above mentioned, I’ve fished Landon Mayer’s Mini Leech pattern in #14 in ponds and was impressed. Had luck with in on freestone streams as well. Not a fly pattern but effective and worth a look if you’re in the mood to try something different.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Last edited by kk alaska; 09/10/23.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 224th, 54 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,542
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.