Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Your correct about the 24s without the side ribs being not as accurate. I have a 24 series P .22 LR over a 3"20 ga. It only has the barrel band on the end of the barrels and the bottom barrel shoots low and the top barrel shoots high. I put a maple shim between the barrels and it's almost perfect now. But it annoys me a bit.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting post.

I have had a long relationship with the Savage 24, as there was a 24DL in 22 Mag over 20 Gauge hanging on a peg by the back door of the house I grew up in. It hard to believe that 20 years ago there was little interest in them, except for the low volume 24Vs in 22 Hornet, 357 Mag, and 357 Max. In the center-fire 24s, I think that the brushed nickel 24VS is the least common configuration.

Where I live, kids don't hunt or fish very much, they play video games. Even 40 to 50 years ago, when I was a kid, there were only two kids in my grade school who were growing up in "gunny" homes; Doug, who is now a County Sheriff, and me.

I have 3 Savage 24s that I shoot a little; 24Fs in 22H/20 and 223/20 and a Westpoint 242 in 22Mag/410. I have some others that I should probably sell, 'cause I'm unlikely to use them. The only other one that I might keep is a 24V in 223/20 that has an RD pre-fix SN.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Where I live, kids don't hunt or fish very much, they play video games. Even 40 to 50 years ago, when I was a kid, there were only two kids in my grade school who were growing up in "gunny" homes; Doug, who is now a County Sheriff, and me.

That is the big difference between rural and urban people. When I was growing up, I didn't know ANYONE who didn't have a gun or guns. I didn't know any male who didn't also hunt and fish and play base ball, basket ball and fight and work like hell building fences, cattle gaps, moving cattle and horses, bailing hay, building barns and other out buildings or fixing the tractor, changing flat tires on trailers and the hundreds of other things that always needed attention and we were expected to attend to them and by god, we did.

But in those days, there were NO soccer fields. Heck, no one even knew what that was. The only place there was a baseball field was at the local high school or where we played in the cow pasture across the road from my house. We did have one basketball goal in the back yard as most kids had. There were no such things as video games. Heck, TV had just got started.

I will NEVER FORGET when I was a senior in high school, my first class was Biology lab. The teacher was Doctor Rainwater and he was an old southerner like me. My next door neighbor and I would get up and go squirrel hunting before school and we would hunt through the woods and cross the creek and come out behind the school in the mornings. We went to biology lab and stood our guns in the back of the lab against the wall with our game bags. Can you imagine what would happen if that were to happen today? Dr. Rainwater would come by our lab table and ask what we got hunting that morning and if we wanted to skin and clean it after class we could do that and put it in the biology lab refrigerator until we left school.

NOBODY in the class even so much as blinked or went near our rifles because EVERYONE, even the girls in those days were familiar with guns and they knew better than to mess with them. Well that, and kids had manners in those days and they didn't touch things that were not theirs. Well that, and if they did, they got a bloody nose for doing it and nobody got thrown out of school or arrested when that happened.

Heck, many times, we didn't even get a licking for fighting. The teacher would stop the bleeding and we went on with whatever we were doing before the dust up. And if it didn't end there, coach, a WII Marine and tuff as nails, would take the boys down to the gym, put boxing gloves on them and put them in the center ring and tell them to get things sorted out between themselves because if he saw any more of it, he was gonna beat their asses and he dang sure would. Just ask me how I know. I didn't want any more of that let me tell you because he would hurt you. It was just all part of growing up and it was expected. Hell, back then most people had common sense.

Back then, people didn't have money to go on vacation. At least we didn't down south. So we loaded up and went to the swamp and camped out and put out trout lines and jug fished while we squirrel and rabbit hunted because there were no deer and turkey like there is now. That was our vacation which was only the weekends because no one could afford to miss any work.

But something very bad happened to the kids who were raised in urban areas. The males didn't join the military and learn to be men and the government stopped the draft so they didn't have to learn. They didn't learn how to take the lawn mower engine apart and put it back together because they didn't have grass to cut or someone cut it for them. They didn't have an old tractor to work on, or their dad's pick up truck to learn about fuel, fire and air to make it run. They didn't learn about transmission gear boxes, clutches and ring and pinion gears. They don't know to loosen the distributor and turn it either advance or retard to time it if they didn't have a timing light. Hell, they don't know what a timing light is.

They never learned how to build anything. They don't know about wood grain or skill saws, or hammers and nails. They never had to help put on roofs or fix plumbing or electrical issues. They never had to rebuild the pump that supplied the water for each family back then. Like I said, they never learned to be men. They were and are a bunch of whimps and they have raised successive generations of WHIMPS.

And this nation is now paying the price for that. Heck, you talk to most urban raised men now and the only thing that makes them men is that biologically they do not classify as women and Bruce Jenner may have changed even that.

And it'sa dam shame.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, I agree that there is a big difference between rural and urban people, but with more access to technology and drugs, particularly meth, some of the more negative aspects of the gap are closing rapidly.

I was raised in a small town of about 50 sq miles that had 2 gas stations, a convenience store and a general store, but didn't have any stop lights. About one-half of the population of 2,000 lived in the 2 small villages, with the other half scattered in small farms and homes built on small lots in the country. My boyhood home was a small farm that consisted of a 40 acre heritage apple orchard, my Mother's hobby, about 100 acres of hay pasture, and another 180 acres of wood lot; mostly ash, beech, maple, with a scattering of butternut, cherry, and white pine.

A few of the boys who I went to school with hunted and/or fished, but few were passionate about either. Still, probably 20% of the boys in each class took the opening day of deer season off to hunt with their families and many of them received rifles as birthday and Christmas gifts. I received a Nylon 66 one Christmas and a couple of years later received my initial issue of deer hunting rifles, a Remington 660 in 6mm and a Ruger 44 International.

When I was a boy, we spent a fair amount of our free time fishing and hunting and there were always kids fishing for trout in the nearby brook. In contrast, when I was settling my Mother's estate in 2004, I only ran into 2 boy along that little trout brook, but they were smoking pot, not fishing.

Regarding Bruce Jenner, it wouldn't surprise me if his entire gender switch turns out to be a scheme to keep cash flowing into the Jenner/Kardashian clan's bank accounts.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yes, I agree that there is a big difference between rural and urban people, but with more access to technology and drugs, particularly meth, some of the more negative aspects of the gap are closing rapidly.

Brother, you got that right. Up here in these mountains, meth is everywhere and you can spot the meth heads a hundred yards away. It has completely ruined many of these mountain people and made them poor, dumb knuckle heads where hard working, multi talented, independent people once lived.

And it'sa dam shame.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Despite our geographic differences, I think that we would get along fine.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
260remguy

After living almost 74 years and having been around the world with good ole Uncle Sugar working and serving with various foreign nationals, and working with all kinds of people in the medical field as a civilian, I learned that people who are or have been close to the earth are easy to get along with because they have common sense. You have to have it when you live and work close to the land or you don't last very long. Mother nature and the real world have no patience with fools and they will kill you quick if you screw up.

Many hunters have an affinity for the land and a healthy respect for mother nature. In my dealings with hunters over the years, there have been very few that I couldn't get along with easily and the ones that were problems, were fine as long as they were sober. They only turned into knuckle heads after having too many and then got stupid.

Those of us who hunt have shared common experiences so we have a common frame of reference to talk about and to relate to. That makes it a lot easier for us to get past all the BS and get right to what is important. That also helps to, as my grand mother used to say about manners, "they are the grease that helps civilized folks get along together."

Last edited by Ragnar73; 02/22/16.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I agree, like Sheriff Ed Tom Bell said in "No Country For Old Men";

“It starts when you begin to overlook good manners. Any time you quit hearing Sir and Mam the end is pretty much in sight...” .

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Reading this thread, takes me back to my youth, where the absence rate was high on opening week of dove season. We had to leave the guns in the parking lot though.

Also agree on the state of many people today. That said, as a 4H leader and shooting instructor, I have hope. I see those rural kids with values based on work, responsibility and family as being the future leaders of the country.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Savage 24 in .22LR/20 gauge. My dad built a deck for our pastor when I was a kid in exchange for the gun. He wanted it because his FIL had a Model 24 in the same caliber/gauge and he loved it. Only difference is mine has the release on the tang and my grandfathers has it on the side.

Seems nearly impossible to find another one with a release on the side of the action in a .22LR/20 gauge around here. The phrase "scarce as hen's teeth" has been used a few times. Most guys I talk to don't even know that they were made with a release on the side instead of tang.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Any ideas on this one? Called a "Lux" 410 over 22 mag. German proofs.

[Linked Image]
[img]http://[IMG]http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y312/brayhaven/410%20combo%202.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by brayhaven; 02/24/16.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My father and I carried a 24 in 22LR/20 as our trapline gun for years back in the '60s. I gave one in 22/410 to a family with several young boys that live out in the bush in western AK a few years ago.. they are working hard at wearing it out!

I have a project Hornet/20 that I need to restock... any idea how uncommon the Hornet was? Separated barrels.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've had a couple in my pursuit of looniness!

Don't quite know why I have been attracted to them as they are a little crude compared to other things I like. It probably goes back to the old saying "Less is more!" which seems to have more meaning as I get a few more gray hairs (and hopefully wisdom too)!!! IMHO, 24's "reek" of simplicity and functionality, the "fun factor" that, for example, endeared me so much to my Benjamin pump pellet gun and made it such an efficient, lethal weapon in the hands of a 1960's wanna be boy hunter!

I first had a blued 24 DL 22mag/20ga with the attached barrels. I enjoyed it but later sold it to a buddy when I had the chance to buy an early version of the 24C "Camper" in 22LR/20ga. I have to admit, the takedown Camper model is my favorite thus far! It's pretty darn accurate too!

Interestingly enough, I bought both at our local Cabelas for what I thought were pretty good prices. The 24DL was advertised as having a bad firing pin (the firing pin screw had just backed out too far!) so I got that one for $125 IIRC. I later bought the Camper for $175 (I don't think the knew what they had)... go figure! I keep watching for a nice 222R or 22H/20ga 24V to show up for around $200 but it hasn't happened yet!!!

Never give up hope... fun stuff!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
My father and I carried a 24 in 22LR/20 as our trapline gun for years back in the '60s. I gave one in 22/410 to a family with several young boys that live out in the bush in western AK a few years ago.. they are working hard at wearing it out!

I have a project Hornet/20 that I need to restock... any idea how uncommon the Hornet was? Separated barrels.

Just from my observations, I would rank the 24Vs this way in terms of "Common":

222, 30-30, 223, 22H, 357 Mag, and 357 Max.

Again, just from my observations, I would rank the 24/24Fs, the synthetic stocked style that replaced the 24V in 1984/85, this way in terms of "Common":

223, 22H, and 30-30

Out of these nine different configurations with 20 gauge lower barrels, I have owned at least one of each except the 357 Max in the 24V and the 30-30 in the 24/24F. I have only owned two 24/24Fs with 12 gauge lower barrels, in 22H and 223, but they were significantly heavier than the 20 gauge units and that factor made them less user friendly for me.

I have long thought that a 24/24F in 223 over 12 gauge would make a useful survival tool for the U.S. military, but I guess that nobody in the U.S. military forages for food any longer. The only place that I've seen foraging depicted by the U.S. military was in the movie "Blackhawk Down" and I assume that was done for stage effect, rather than as a reflection of reality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamSteele
I have a Savage 24 in .22LR/20 gauge. My dad built a deck for our pastor when I was a kid in exchange for the gun. He wanted it because his FIL had a Model 24 in the same caliber/gauge and he loved it. Only difference is mine has the release on the tang and my grandfathers has it on the side.

Seems nearly impossible to find another one with a release on the side of the action in a .22LR/20 gauge around here. The phrase "scarce as hen's teeth" has been used a few times. Most guys I talk to don't even know that they were made with a release on the side instead of tang.

SS

The side-release 24s were a less expensive style than the top release and since they were all pretty inexpensive, more people opted to pay a little more for the top-release styles that often had pressed checkering too. Late in the production run that was also a 24 with a barrel latch release in the front of the trigger guard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good info 260Remguy. Thanks. I suppose I would just like to find one for nostalgia. I have seen ones with the release in front of the trigger guard at a couple shows.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by brayhaven
Any ideas on this one? Called a "Lux" 410 over 22 mag. German proofs.

[Linked Image]
[img]http://[IMG]http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y312/brayhaven/410%20combo%202.jpg[/img][/img]

Not surprised no one recognised this little combo gun. I'd never seen one either. But it looked like fun to put behind the seat while driving around my hunt lease. So I bought it. They must not have made many. This one is ser# 88.

Greg
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
First time I ever fired a shotgun, also the first time I killed anything with a shotgun, was when I was 11 years old. I used to love to go visit this buddy of mine who lived on a farm with his grandparents. They'd let 11 year olds drive around unsupervised in an old '47 Willy's Overland and carry an old 24 .410/.22 over under. I shot a sparrow with the .410 barrel. Today those folks would probably be thrown in jail.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobWills

It has been a lesson to me how a cheap, boys rifle that we once could buy at any Sears & Roebuck, Western Auto, Auto-Lec, or Montgomery Ward store and many local hardware stores for under a hundred dollars has become an object to collect. Those guns were and are cheap, but as soon as Savage quit making them, the collectors all got dollar signs in their eyes and bought them up. They are not going to use them and they are preventing those of us who would use them from doing that.

I tell you fellas, things have gone down hill since Elvis died.

Damned collectors, anyway!

[Linked Image]

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Wal 24, THAT is a dam nice collection and I am jealous as hell. grin

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.